+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did it with DS1, until he was about 2. He would fall asleep really well with his bottle, it was like a security blanket. I was always worried about his teeth, but it was hard to break the habit (i'm talking from my perspective - I dreaded attempting bedtime without it). In the end he was surprisingly easy to wean, just a few nights of being unsettled and some crying. I swapped the bottle for a non-spill sippy cup of water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did it with my first 2 daughters because I didn't know better but they were weaned off bottles between 12-14months. With DD3&4 we did bottle before bed then put them to bed. They were also weaned off bottles by 14 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 was a TERRIBLE sleeper (well he was terrible to get to sleep but would sleep all night once asleep). He was fed to sleep as of 6 months when we introduced formula until about 18 months I think, and it was bliss (as in fed while holding him and then burping and putting to bed). I don't regret our decision to do this at all. We were very strict with teeth washing twice a day (although he didn't get his first tooth till 9 months anyway) and we have never had any problems with his teeth. We also have had no problems stopping the night time feed when we felt that it was time to do so. I know this won't be the same for everybody but it did work for us. I actually really miss our before bed cuddles we all loved it!

This is going to sound dumb but people generally don't wash their teeth all day even after eating/drinking, so why wouldn't this also be bad for teeth then??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post

This is going to sound dumb but people generally don't wash their teeth all day even after eating/drinking, so why wouldn't this also be bad for teeth then??
    The dentist told my SIL when she had to take my 20 month niece in for a chipped front tooth that bottles are bad at night in bed as the milk pools around the mouth and as its quite high in sugar can cause decay , something to do with saliva and when your sleeping you don't make enough saliva in your sleep to wash down milk ? she said the first thing he said when he looked in her mouth was that she obviously is still having bottles and a dummy and to toss them immediately as it is already effecting her teeth!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    The dentist told my SIL when she had to take my 20 month niece in for a chipped front tooth that bottles are bad at night in bed as the milk pools around the mouth and as its quite high in sugar can cause decay , something to do with saliva and when your sleeping you don't make enough saliva in your sleep to wash down milk ? she said the first thing he said when he looked in her mouth was that she obviously is still having bottles and a dummy and to toss them immediately as it is already effecting her teeth!)
    Makes sense. Not sure what I'll do with DS2 since he still wakes for feeds during the night (& I don't see this ending anytime soon!)? I'm not about to brush his teeth at 2am! Maybe a good wipe with a wet cloth would do the trick??