+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Baby having a bottle in bed - what are your thoughts?

My niece and nephew started going to bed with a bottle of milk as soon as they could hold it themselves, so I thought that was completely normal. However my MIL recently mentioned that its not good because then they'll be hard to get off the bottle and its not good for their teeth. Usually I ignore any parenting advice she gives me but my niece is 3 1/2 and still has a bottle at night, she goes ballistic if you ask her to drink some milk out of a cup instead of a bottle. So I was just wondering, what's the general consensus around taking a bottle to bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey JR, I dont have any experience personally but I do know that my sister made that 'mistake' twice (on her 3rd child she learnt)....She regretted it as they always wanted a bottle in bed. My niece would even wake in the night and demand another bottle to go back to sleep - when she was 4! Her oldest, who is 14 now, had horrible teeth because as he got older she swapped the milk for ribena juice!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Never never never

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not recommended due to the reasons mentioned. It's meant to be bad for their teeth because the milk can sit in their mouth & creates more bad habits that are hard to break. I've just been through considering this with my baby and I'm glad I took the more difficult option now (feeding before bed & going to bed awake rather than feeding to sleep) over having a tougher battle as they get older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have neve done it and never will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jenga So when you say feeding before bed does that mean a bottle then brush teeth then put to bed or does that mean bottle say in your arms then bed?

my son is 18 months 15 corrected and he loves his bed time bottle when he wakes in the morning between 5-6 am he has another small bottle. He drinks it all before he falls asleep but I'm worried about his teeth. I tried to wean him off by giving small bottles rather than large but found he woke up during the night looking for a bottle if I did t give him a large bedtime bottle. I also tried just water in the bottles but I got a telling off each time. He does wake during the night but can get himself back to sleep most of the time without sucking on a bottle, the way I have viewed it is, I would rather him having a bottle in bed instead of sucking a dummy full time, but I don't want this to continue for much longer, any suggestions for weaning would be appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    As PP's have said its not a good thing and is bad for the teeth, in fact they don't reccomended bottles after 12 months anyways and taking them to bed is even worse!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I made that mistake with DS1. He was still having a bottle at bedtime when he was 3. I ended up cutting him off one day and that was that.. a few nights of whinging and he was over it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bad for teeth and also Eustachian tubes, causes ear infections even too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Basically what everyone else is saying - I haven't done it and never will, it's so bad for baby's teeth.

DS was breastfed before bed until he weaned at 16 months, and then we would sit and he would have a bottle in our arms before we put him to bed. He ended up giving up the bottle - and then his cup - by 20 months, all by himself. I was shocked.