+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheekime View Post
    Little gumnut, I'm going to put it out there - if your instinct is telling you to push for an induction, you push - do everything you can. I know that we want the best for our babies but most of all we want them in our arms. I won't go into it but a recent experience has left me changing my stance on this. Are you in Melbourne? I was seeing a high risk ob and no matter how much I begged he wouldn't induce me until I stressed myself out enough that my bp hit the roof and he i was induced at 39 weeks and 2.2hrs later my son was born perfect with not a single heart rate issue during the induction. My experience was after my son was born. Good luck x
    Thanks Cheekime. I really hope there is no reason for me to be worrying like this but I have had the worst luck with all things baby related I can't help feeling this way. I also know of two people who have had stillbirths this year and read about it all the time on here as well.
    I am in townsville and my OB is lovely and always reassuring if I have questions for him, however I'm not sure how to bring this up with him or what to do if he denies my request.
    Congratulations on your baby boy I'm so glad he arrived safe and sound may I ask what sort of induction you had? I know there are many different ways they can do it but not sure what is the best one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Risks for baby include lower heart rate, lower oxygen, higher risk of cord prolapse and higher risk if infection for both of you. All the best with it xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Here's an article that discusses inductions and associated risks you may want to read.

http://www.**********.com.au/birth/i...e#.Uh_vSWQayc0

hope that helps clarify risks etc. I've had an induction, and never again. I will actively avoid one at all costs. It was very difficult, too much of the synto was given at once, contractions peaked and did not come down from there for over 7 minutes each time. Cascade of intervention happened with assisted delivery as ds went into distress, heartrate plummeted etc from the induction.
    Chat with your ob about additional monitoring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    full term is 37-42 weeks so I cant see why there would be a problem if you had bub at 37 weeks..
    You need to do what you think is right for you and your baby and family..

all the best

xx

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It's not just if the baby is full term, it's whether the mother's body is ready to give birth. The earlier the induction the more chance of it ending in an emergency CS as the mother's body is less likely to be ready. First time mothers who are induced have around 30% chance of it ending in CS and that figure would be higher the earlier the induction.

Best of luck OP, I hope everything goes well for you.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-08-2013),M'LadyEm  (30-08-2013),saxonrose  (31-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced at 38 weeks due to PROM.... I had no choice and I will never, ever be induced again, especially not early. I would prefer a c-section anyway (not that I am saying you should).
    I was induced at 6 in the morning, silent labor started and the midwife was quite happy I was contracting away without feeling it, 2 hours later they broke my waters.... My contractions got up to about 3 every minute, so you would think your in full labour, you would think they might check you are. After about 8 hours of contractions I begged for an epidural which didn't work any. They finally check my dilation and after being on the drip from 6am-8pm I was not dilated AT ALL.

If your body is not ready to birth, there's a really good chance it wont. I end up with a c-section, which was heaven after my induction.

For some women its just happens so quick with induction, but if I had my time over, I would have just had a c-section from the beginning. I am petrified of a repeat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    First of all I had accupuncture for induction, walked lots, lots of sex and every other wives tale natural induction method and evening primrose oil, raspberry leaf tea, clary sage baths. I was 3cm when I was induced. I had arm and then syntocin but they turned the syntocin off after I was in active labour. Good luck x

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with the cervadril tape. It's main effect is horrible back pain (and I had a posterior bub too which is more back pain). I don't know much about other methods but I found the tape induction great.

Sent from my talky stick with a minion glued to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My experience is a little different as I suffered from a placental abruption after a fall at 38 weeks and despite labour starting after 26 hours I was only 5cm so had to be induced using sintocin.

I had some scary complications (due to abruption and Dr stuffing up my spinal) and my DS has been through the ringer since birth.

His immune system is basically non existent, every single bug around he catches, the amount of times he's been to hospital is ridiculous. I dont believe he was ready to be born. I constantly think about the what ifs if I didn't fall and cause the abruption, I dont think he would have been born so early.

So even at 38 weeks, some babies just aren't ready.

I do however agree you should listen to your instincts as well as consult with your OB and work out a plan you are both comfortable with. It's all well and good for strangers to urge you not to induce early but the reality is, we're not living your life, you need to do what you think is best for yourself and your circumstances. All the best

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Cheekime  (30-08-2013),αληθη  (31-08-2013)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I agree with the masses on this one. For me the risk to myself and bub because of induction are just not worth it. I think rather than seeking to get bub out before they are ready you should maybe consider speaking to a counsellor about your anxiety and fears. An early induction does not guarantee a healthy baby. It actually carries with it many possible complications. I was induced, and it lead to the cascade of interventions which ended up with my bub having to go to SCN for the first few hours of his life and me laying in a hospital bed alone and not knowing where my baby was. We missed out on that all important skin to skin. Please spend some time doing independent research on induction before you make up your mind.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (30-08-2013)