+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose Caboose View Post
    Do you support same sex marriage? Why/why not? Do you think same sex marriage is a threat to your marriage? Do you presume a persons' partner is of the opposite sex?

I've been with my same sex partner for the last 6 years. We have considered being married in Spain, where my partner is from. Same sex marriage has been legal there since 2005. Unfortunately I don't see the point in us being married until it's recognized here... One day I would like to just be able to just say 'yes' when people ask me if I'm married, rather than having to dodge the question, come out to that person, or even worse lie.
    I absolutely think that anyone should be able to marry who they want & can't believe that our own country is so far behind with this, it's terrible.

So yes, I support same sex marriage

No, I don't think it's a threat to mine...but then again I don't understand how anyone getting married would be a threat to mine??

I think that if you & your partner want to go overseas to get married, do it!! I've learnt that life is to short for worrying about what others think. I hope you both do what makes you happy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely support. Find it crazy that people who often go through so much to simply be accepted, find a partner from a smaller pool to begin with, experience discrimination on sometimes a daily basis have it dictated whether they can marry their partner.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    It's kind of a non-question for me. It's like you asking me "do you support marriage?". I would be thinking... erm... of course? is this a trick question?
    LOL.
    Yep this

Can't threaten my marriage, as I am not married..and no I would never think it would!

Yes I do actually, thank you I will def work on this. I do not assume my children will be hetrosexual. Actually really ****s me off when people say my child will marry xzy someday because they like to play together, like you can only be friends with the op sex if you are in a relationship, or that they even have to be in a relationship..ever. I might suggest my daughter or son will marry someone of the same sex one day when they are playing with a friend just to see peoples reactions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    I must have missed something, why is the question being raised about it being a threat to marriage?
    I don't really understand either, but I remember Tony Abbott commented that he had felt threatened:

"There is no doubt that (homosexuality) challenges, if you like, orthodox notions of the right order of things," he told ABC TV last night.

Earlier, gay rights campaigners had raised concerns about the wellbeing of young people struggling with their sexual identity in light of Mr Abbott's views.

Mr Abbott, a former Catholic seminarian, was asked about his views on homosexuality during an interview aired on Channel 9's 60 Minutes.

Mr Abbott answered: "I probably feel a bit threatened, as so many people do. It's a fact of life.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ton...-1225838436495

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kj2010 View Post
    I don't really understand either, but I remember Tony Abbott commented that he had felt threatened:

"There is no doubt that (homosexuality) challenges, if you like, orthodox notions of the right order of things," he told ABC TV last night.

Earlier, gay rights campaigners had raised concerns about the wellbeing of young people struggling with their sexual identity in light of Mr Abbott's views.

Mr Abbott, a former Catholic seminarian, was asked about his views on homosexuality during an interview aired on Channel 9's 60 Minutes.

Mr Abbott answered: "I probably feel a bit threatened, as so many people do. It's a fact of life.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ton...-1225838436495
    I believe He feels threatened because he's afraid he will be sexually assaulted by men that are attracted to him (not that there are any). He is worried because he views women in certain terms that the the tables will be turned on him. He treats women as objects and sexually harasses and assaults them, hence he does not want to be treated in the same manner.
    What he doesn't understand is that not everyone thinks of others the way he does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely support it. If two people love each other and they want to be married then let them marry.

I don't understand why anyone would see same sex marriage a threat to their marriage. ...am l threatened by it? No, but l'm not married. l don't place a huge importance of marriage to my own relationship.

Yes l generally assume that when someone refers to their partner it is someone of the opposite sex.

I can only think if two groups of people who would oppose same sex marriage. The hardcore religious and then the homophobic.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Night Owl; 11-09-2013 at 02:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The main debate against it seems to come from religious views... Particularly the catholic church. Religion has a lot to answer for.

there is a difference between religion and law. No one is asking churches to marry same sex couples. No one is asking them to do anything against their faith.

Marriage equality should happen and allow same sex couples the same rights as any other family. Many will not want to marry, but they should have the right to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    I believe He feels threatened because he's afraid he will be sexually assaulted by men that are attracted to him (not that there are any). He is worried because he views women in certain terms that the the tables will be turned on him. He treats women as objects and sexually harasses and assaults them, hence he does not want to be treated in the same manner.
    What he doesn't understand is that not everyone thinks of others the way he does.
    So it says more about tony abbott & his insecurities than it does same sex marriage.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely I do!

I would actually really love to speak to someone who is against it (I have not let anyone yet - which to me says something) to hear their points as to why they're against it. I really don't understand how it's anyones business besides the two people wanting to get married? I REALLY don't understand how it "poses a threat to marriage"?

If it's to do with "making a mockery" of marriage, that's already been done. Not to mention, i STILL dont understand how two same sex people would do that. Look at celebrities getting married and staying married for 5 minutes, or people getting married in Vegas waking up freaking out and getting divorced the next day etc.
    I seriously don't understand why the sex of the two people getting married causes such an issue? blows my mind really!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mamasurfs For This Useful Post:

KassMeow  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I respectfully I have abstained from this thread but since the former post says she has not met some who is opposed I raise my hand

I don't want to start a fight - for me it is a case of what seems natural. Yes there is likely influence from a religious child hood which I no longer practice.

It does not seem natural. I have some great male friends but don't need to marry them to solidify that friendship. My arguments will be the same as everyone one else's with a similar view and there will be the same counter arguments this. I saw posting as pointless.

Hand raised - now I'll crawl back I to my box.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (11-09-2013),SassyMummy  (11-09-2013)