+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    quite simply religion is very controversial, for this reason it is banned on many forums as is politics. I am happy to discuss it with someone who wants to but see little point starting a spin off when it will lead to the same issues only then it might be 'on topic'.

If someone wants to ask me something because 'they' want to know I am saying 'ok that is fine'. Lets face it - religion of its various kinds has been the route of almost all wars. I really dont feel like starting a war but am fine with friendly discussion where parties may simply agree to disagree and finish with the benefit of enlightenment - a better understanding of another's point of view - whether you (or I) agree of not.

As for different or another way or alternative - we are talking about the bible - laws.
    Laws dont generally have an alternative. If you are going thru a 40 km school zone you cant say "sorry officer i was doing an alternative speed zone, I was doing the hume highway speed zone"
    I have mentioned what equates to laws - God's laws in the bible. I dont see these laws as variables or having alternates. Thats my view - right or wrong - I believe it is right but dont insist you to see it as such. Most have made your decision - 'I am wrong'. Thats fine

why cant you nicely say,

I disagree
    that does not sound natural or normal to me(I wont get offended by these terms)
    I think you are wrong

They are your views and can be said without insinuating I approve of rape, slavery or racism. It can be said with out saying I am mean unloving or nasty. (Im not saying that all these things have necessarily been said but at some have been insinuated)

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who are you talking to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Okay, you are wrong, it isn't natural or normal.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    quite simply religion is very controversial, for this reason it is banned on many forums as is politics. I am happy to discuss it with someone who wants to but see little point starting a spin off when it will lead to the same issues only then it might be 'on topic'.

If someone wants to ask me something because 'they' want to know I am saying 'ok that is fine'. Lets face it - religion of its various kinds has been the route of almost all wars. I really dont feel like starting a war but am fine with friendly discussion where parties may simply agree to disagree and finish with the benefit of enlightenment - a better understanding of another's point of view - whether you (or I) agree of not.

As for different or another way or alternative - we are talking about the bible - laws.
    Laws dont generally have an alternative. If you are going thru a 40 km school zone you cant say "sorry officer i was doing an alternative speed zone, I was doing the hume highway speed zone"
    I have mentioned what equates to laws - God's laws in the bible. I dont see these laws as variables or having alternates. Thats my view - right or wrong - I believe it is right but dont insist you to see it as such. Most have made your decision - 'I am wrong'. Thats fine

why cant you nicely say,

I disagree
    I think you are wrong

They are your views and can be said without insinuating I approve of rape, slavery or racism. It can be said with out saying I am mean unloving or nasty. (Im not saying that all these things have necessarily been said but at some have been insinuated)

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (15-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post

why cant you nicely say,

I disagree
    I think you are wrong

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    Dave it's not banned here.

We talk about politics and religion.

I'm glad we do, I often find myself really thinking about my position on many topics, and being challenged helps me reassess and reflect.

I personally am happy to share my views because if someone challenges them and they can enlighten me, I see that as a good thing.

Take being a Christian, if you truly believe and believe the bible has a lot of merit, there is no harm in posting and a thousand people disagreeing isn't going to change your mind. However even if you do have your mind changed on some aspects of the bible, that doesn't mean you don't believe or aren't a Christian. I know Christians who I treat the bible very different to others, and many who actively support same sex marriage.

Me I like to be flexible in my beliefs, they have changed so much over time, and I do not wish to stagnate. Because that might be smelly.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-09-2013),Kirst33  (15-09-2013)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I can honestly say until you turned up I have never seen anyone request to discuss forum topics via pm instead unless it's been a personal topic... Certainly not a general chat type topic. So no, it's not normal on this forum I don't believe.

Just saying why a lot of forum regulars would find it a bit weird.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well, religion and politics aren't banned on this forum.

Typical 'taboo' subjects get discussed quite regularly which is great!

Personally I think you can discuss the topic without 'starting a war' -- I'll proudly proclaim to be an atheist, have a civil debate with someone proclaiming to be of any religion -- and can manage to still be their friend.

People have repeatedly let you know that describing their sexual orientation as 'un natural' or 'not normal' is very much like a kick in the guts. Yet you still continue to use that phrase without any consideration.

The reference to rape came out because you lent on the bible definition of marriage for your argument..people were just saying that, hey in the bible - there is a rule about a rape victim marrying her rapist.
    Ahem -- pointing out your picking of cherries.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-09-2013),ChickyBee  (15-09-2013),Kirst33  (15-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And to bring this thread full circle. I still don't understand why others care if men marry men or women marry women.

I still fail to see the reasons for objection. All of the reasons specified are just stupid. Complete and utter codswallop. End. Of. Story.

It's marriage, people, not genocide. Who cares who marries who!? Really, why care!? It's not impacting on ANYONE other than the marrying couple, so, for the love of all things good, why is this still an issue for debate!?

This thread is just rage inducing. People, consenting adults, shouldn't have to fight for their right to marry. It shouldn't be an issue for public debate. We're living in 2013 and yet we still live in one of the most backwards thinking countries in the western world. It's insane.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-09-2013),Best Things  (23-09-2013),delirium  (15-09-2013),Stiflers Mom  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and just for arguments sake, there are things deemed 'unnatural' yet still supported by religion. Should we look at male circumcision? How is that natural? Oh, that's right, it's not. Yet it is still deemed okay in the Jewish faith.

Besides, if homosexuality isn't normal, then you really think that people would choose to be gay, given the all the horrors they have to put up with from homophobic bigots?

Also, define 'unnatural'? Just because a book tells you something is fact, doesn't mean that it is. Don't believe everything you read

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post

People have repeatedly let you know that describing their sexual orientation as 'un natural' or 'not normal' is very much like a kick in the guts. Yet you still continue to use that phrase without any consideration.
    I remember using it once before I was aware anyone would take particular issue with it. I dont recall using it again unless stating why I thought it such and I really would be surprised if it came up in a significant number of my posts in this thread other than all the times I was quoted.

Happy to be corrected

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read many posts as I imagine I would find this thread VERY disturbing. Particularly where the religious side of things gets trotted out as justification for denying same sex marriage (UGH!!!!).

It's a matter of equality. You either believe in equality or you don't. You can not apply equality to certain issues and not others otherwise you actually don't believe in equality. Simple! Get over it Australia, let love flow - its a beautiful thing!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-09-2013),Kirst33  (15-09-2013),SassyMummy  (15-09-2013),Wise Enough  (15-09-2013)