+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just a thought - would anyone who is using the term 'unnatural' say the same thing about a child conceived by IVF? Why or why not?

And why is it more acceptable to say that same sex attraction is unnatural than it is about children created by science and not nature?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Unnatural is such a disgusting and offensive way to describe homosexuality.

Surely it would be far more unnatural for someone to ignore their feelings and force themselves to be a in a relationship with a person of the sex they are not at all interested in.

And you know, even if it was unnatural, so freaking what? You're likely living in a house (unnatural), with clothes (unnatural), using a computer and internet (unnatural) or phone (unnatural). You probably have been in a car (unnatural) and use an oven to cook your meals (unnatural).

Really, in all the UNNATURAL things we do and surrounded by in life, loving another human is probably one of the most NATURAL things we can do... love is love. If two adults are in love, why is that shameful? It's a beautiful thing... regardless of sex, and I have very little time for anyone who wants to treat it like it's dirty and wrong.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 14-09-2013 at 20:29.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (14-09-2013),beebs  (14-09-2013),ChickyBee  (14-09-2013),delirium  (14-09-2013),Kirst33  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am 110% for equality.
    I want to be the maid of honor at my Dad's wedding already, to his partner of 22-23yrs.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (14-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    And in response to previous posts, for those who believe same sex attracted people should continued to be discriminated against and not allowed to marry because its not natural, I assume you also then believe that IVF should not be allowed? Because clearly it's going against nature. Nature intended for some people to be infertile or have problems conceiving and IVF allows them to have children. Or is that different? And if so, why?.
    I still haven't had a response to a question I posed earlier. Anyone care to have a crack?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I still haven't had a response to a question I posed earlier. Anyone care to have a crack?
    I suspect it'll be another case of cherry picking.

You know, IVF is okay if it's a straight couple who are infertile but not if it's two gay people starting a family

Personally I love science and think IVF is a wonderful thing! But I know I wasn't one of the people you were aiming the question at

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I want to start off by saying I am 100% pro-same sex marriage. And IVF. However depending on the dictionary used they *may* both fit the 'unnatural' definition. I don't see anything at all wrong with being uncommon, unnatural, not normal etc though. The more diversity the better. As long as you're not hurting anyone, go for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I suspect it'll be another case of cherry picking.

You know, IVF is okay if it's a straight couple who are infertile but not if it's two gay people starting a family

Personally I love science and think IVF is a wonderful thing! But I know I wasn't one of the people you were aiming the question at
    I know. And in fairness to Dave I was hoping that other PPs who are against it would rejoin us and shed some light. But somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I want to start off by saying I am 100% pro-same sex marriage. And IVF. However depending on the dictionary used they *may* both fit the 'unnatural' definition. I don't see anything at all wrong with being uncommon, unnatural, not normal etc though. The more diversity the better. As long as you're not hurting anyone, go for it.
    I would argue that homosexuality is not unnatural (as it occurs in nature) but IVF is unnatural as it does not.

However it is a wonderful thing!!!

I don't really feel the need to label either of them though... They just are.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (14-09-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess the process of IVF is unnatural, but the babies created from IVF is totally natural. As soon as an egg is implanted, it becomes a natural phenomena.

A totally out of field comparison would be natural v synthetic food. Food with preservatives etc is unnatural, but still produces natural defecation. (Not that I'm trying to equate babies with defecation). Actually now I think about it - it's a pretty revolting straw to pull.

Anywhoo...

ETA: Just thought of a better (maybe) comparison -
    I work in health and while using sutures is unnatural, as soon as the skin starts to heal after it is pulled together, it is a natural process.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (15-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I would argue that homosexuality is not unnatural (as it occurs in nature) but IVF is unnatural as it does not.

However it is a wonderful thing!!!

I don't really feel the need to label either of them though... They just are.
    The definition of unnatural is varied and from what I've read it isn't confined to mean something that doesn't occur naturally. In fact I'm struggling to find a dictionary definition like that.

I agree IVF is a freakin awesome scientific development. And I think its awesome that same sex couples have access to it. The science behind it makes my mind boggle sometimes... And l also can't see the point in labeling either.