+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Maybe that's why some religious people support same sex marriages and some people who aren't religious dont (Julia Gillard comes to mind)
    Didn't Gillard not support SSM to ensure support from some of the independents? (I don't know, I don't follow government politics closely enough to understand.)

My parents are both atheist but they wouldn't support SSM. Their position would most likely be along the lines that it's a trivial issue so why is it taking up so much media coverage and it's so far out of what is considered 'normal' for them that it would be akin to a big step in the downfall of civilisation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I also mentioned earlier that I don't exist according to DP's family tree because we aren't yet married and have no children together. If we had no children but were married I would appear. I could be with him for 50 years and would still not exist for his futur relatives to see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    I dont dictate to others ... if people shared my view to the letter neither would they.

I have steered clear of the feelings etc. I have no doubt that for same sex couples they have similar feelings, desires, commitment and problems faced by any other couple married or not.

The OP did not raise the feelings of same sex couples and if they are the same or similar to M F couples.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    You said earlier that you didn't feel the need to marry your male friends to validate your friendships, insinuating that you question why a gay couple would want to marry then. I asked you about it and you never responded to explain further.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    6 "days" doesnt necessarily mean 6 x 24 hour days.

The term "Day" can represent an unknown period of time.

But that's still how you're interpreting it...

My point was was that many interpret parts of the Bible differently which doesn't equate to not believing the Bible.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 14-09-2013 at 16:46.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-09-2013),SoThisIsLove  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    6 "days" doesnt necessarily mean 6 x 24 hour days.

The term "Day" can represent an unknown period of time.

Genesis 1:5 (NLT)
    God called the light "day" and the darkness "night."

And evening passed and morning came, marking the first day.

Isn't 'interpretation a wonderful thing!
    You can make anything mean anything your want - as long as it suits you.

BTW - Do you know 'why' we now recognise 24 hours in one day?
    You have the Babylonians to thanks for that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (14-09-2013)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've noticed Dave that unless anyone quotes you in agreeance you either ignore any questions they ask you, or state you've been misquoted.

I've quoted you so many times and been ignored every time.

I'd like to ask again:

- if Christians follow Jesus' law, which are the Ten Commandments, why do you keep referring to the Old Testament?

- if you follow Jesus' law, why have any opinion on homosexuality when it is never mentioned in the Ten Commandments?

Pegasus - why does religion keep getting brought into the debate? Is it not obvious? Because religion is almost always the smoke screen used to defend opposition to same sex marriage.

Did anyone watch Insight a few weeks ago on same sex marriage? Penny Wong was on it as well as Islamic, Jewish and Christian leaders, some in opposition to and some in support of gay marriage.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-09-2013),ChickyBee  (14-09-2013),FiveInTheBed  (14-09-2013),Kirst33  (14-09-2013),RobinSparkles  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    So you believe in every part of the Bible? You said above you believe God creating the world didn't actually happen in 6 days so you are interpreting certain parts of the Bible in certain ways as well.

I grew up learning that being a Christian and being 'Christ like' meant being accepting and not judgmental of others. Was that not the epitome of Christ?
    When you read the account of creation it clearly indicates that these days were longer than 24 hours. There are many prophecies in the bible and other verses that talk of days and parts of days that are longer than a 24 hour day.

We talk of the 'dawn of time' not a period only of minutes. The bible in one verse likens a thousand years to a day

Rather than interpret the bible the way I want I try to let the bible interpret itself. It is a matter of looking at the context of the sccriptures.

Gettting to another question raised in another post - cant remember who by - As for the law of Moses. The bible says that is was God's law or covenant between him and the nation of Israel, not mankind. When the Israelites rejected God he rejected them as a chosen nation and that is when Christianity started.

Some have asked does the bible use the word Homosexuality. No, not where I have read anyway. You dont have to spell out specific words to convey intent and meaning. If I say to a friend "I dont want you to tell anyone" that does not require me to say 'do not text, do not FB, do not blog, do not ring and mention over the phone etc' The intent of what I want is rather obvious. The bible no where mentions men marrying men or women marrying women. It simply refers to marriage in a male female relationship.

If you dont believe the bible or in christianity why try and use the bible to disprove certain points to me. You are unlikely to win on a scriptural debate with me. On top of which you have nothing you need to convince me of. can a man love a man and a woman a woman - Yes. As such do some want to marry - Yes. Do I personally support this - no. Should my view make a difference to law and legislation - No. If law and legislation is changed will I accept it - Yes. Will I treat people badly for their choice - No

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I've noticed Dave that unless anyone quotes you in agreeance you either ignore any questions they ask you, or state you've been misquoted.

I've quoted you so many times and been ignored every time.

I'd like to ask again:

- if Christians follow Jesus' law, which are the Ten Commandments, why do you keep referring to the Old Testament?

- if you follow Jesus' law, why have any opinion on homosexuality when it is never mentioned in the Ten Commandments?

Pegasus - why does religion keep getting brought into the debate? Is it not obvious? Because religion is almost always the smoke screen used to defend opposition to same sex marriage.

Did anyone watch Insight a few weeks ago on same sex marriage? Penny Wong was on it as well as Islamic, Jewish and Christian leaders, some in opposition to and some in support of gay marriage.
    I have sometimes ignored posts that dont seem to relate to what was raised by the OP and sometimes the thread has moved too many pages, I dont go back and read through all the pages that have transpired between visits to this thread.

Jesus Laws are not the Ten Commandments. While he walked the earth he lived by the law the jews were under but he also showed that these laws would be replaced, that the jews as a chosen nation would be rejected and the associated law would be no more. When referring to those that will not inherit the kingdom of God the bible specifically mentions liars, dunkards, men who lie with men and other 'sins'. It is not to say that you commit these sins once and you loose favour, it shows that is it the practice of these sins that is will lead to divine disapproval but that it is also possible to turn from such a practice and have Gods approval.

Pulling apart my words does not help the cause of those for. I have no impact on the cause.

The bible is often split up into OT and NT. Also referred to as the Hebrew scriptures, 39 books from Genesis to Malachi and the Christian Greek scriptures, 27 books from Mathew to Revelations (though not all were strictly written greek)

Jesus lived as a man starting with the Christian Greek Scriptures.

Laws in Hebrew Scriptures essentially were for the Jews. The principals of that law well carry over but not necessarily the law itself. Some was reiterated in the Christian Greek scriptures very few in reality. Off the top of my head there were something like 600 laws ... many more laws than simply the 10 commandments to which many refer.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    . can a man love a man and a woman a woman - Yes. As such do some want to marry - Yes. Do I personally support this - no. Should my view make a difference to law and legislation - No. If law and legislation is changed will I accept it - Yes. Will I treat people badly for their choice - No

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

...maybe you should have said this in your first post - rather than raising your hand - saying you 'opposed' it, and then continuing to call it 'un natural'.

Might have gone over a bit better?

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (14-09-2013),beebs  (14-09-2013),Kirst33  (14-09-2013),orlyon  (14-09-2013),RobinSparkles  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The whole thing I don't get regarding gay marriage is that you do NOT have to be religious to get married.

I can walk down the road tomorrow and legally marry my 80 year old neighbour that I don't even know. However two people in a committed, long term relationship who may even own property and assets together can't because they are same sex.

Many people are NOT married by a priest and are not associated with any religion. If the über religious don't want gay weddings in their church, then fine, protest over your own turf. Why should that stop same sex couples from being married by a celebrant if a priest won't agree to marry them.

Marriage is a legally binding agreement which I believe should be available to same sex as well as hetro couples.

Whether you believe that god made the world in 7 days or if you don't even' believe in god at all, it shouldn't have any weight on your ability to marry your partner. I really don't believe it's a religious issue.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (14-09-2013),beebs  (14-09-2013),Stiflers Mom  (14-09-2013)