+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I can definitely see the correlation of sexuality as opposed to breeding when it comes to equality in marriage. If sex was seen for what it is - breeding as well as pleasure - perhaps people wouldn't be so concerned with the whole 'man and woman' thing.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    ...guess what, so is the Bible
    And I've asked many times why its even been brought up in this thread. Some people have helpfully answered regarding their beliefs on the origin of marriage, and that's why I think its been seen as relevant.

However, given same sex relationships aren't confined to just men or just women I dont think the inclusion or exclusion of a goddess would change the definition of marriage

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Surely most people agree that marriage is as individual as we all are. People of many religions are legally married. People of no religion are legally married and with no interference whatsoever from any Church.

It's really nice to know that my marriage isn't valid according to some, because we are not Christian and won't have children together. We are male and female though, so funnily enough nobody has outright said they oppose it, but it has been brought up that marriage is a religious institution and is for the purposes of procreation...seems that only applies to same sex marriage

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    And I've asked many times why its even been brought up in this thread. Some people have helpfully answered regarding their beliefs on the origin of marriage, and that's why I think its been seen as relevant.

However, given same sex relationships aren't confined to just men or just women I dont think the inclusion or exclusion of a goddess would change the definition of marriage
    My point was actually to ponder/wonder what life today would be like if polytheism was the 'tradition'.

I'm pretty sure people have told you that 'marriage' or an official recognition of a relationship was around long before the bible came about.

we are in a [another] transition period *YAY!*

and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Surely most people agree that marriage is as individual as we all are. People of many religions are legally married. People of no religion are legally married and with no interference whatsoever from any Church.

It's really nice to know that my marriage isn't valid according to some, because we are not Christian and won't have children together. We are male and female though, so funnily enough nobody has outright said they oppose it, but it has been brought up that marriage is a religious institution and is for the purposes of procreation...seems that only applies to same sex marriage
    I haven't said others marriages aren't valid if they're not religious, I've just stated what marriage means to me.

But I could bet everything I have that my marriage means something different to me than what a non religious persons marriage means to them, as you said marriages are very individual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't said others marriages aren't valid if they're not religious, I've just stated what marriage means to me.

But I could bet everything I have that my marriage means something different to me than what a non religious persons marriage means to them, as you said marriages are very individual.
    I never said you did

Was just pondering out loud. And I agree, it's so individual - which is why it seems ridiculous to me that one group is not legally allowed to marry when it may mean a lot to many of them, too.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-09-2013),Mod-pegasus  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    My point was actually to ponder/wonder what life today would be like if polytheism was the 'tradition'.

I'm pretty sure people have told you that 'marriage' or an official recognition of a relationship was around long before the bible came about.

we are in a [another] transition period *YAY!*
    And that's what I brought up on this thread. But if you believe in Adam and eve then that is the first bible recognized marriage

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I never said you did

Was just pondering out loud. And I agree, it's so individual - which is why it seems ridiculous to me that one group is not legally allowed to marry when it may mean a lot to many of them, too.
    Maybe that's why some religious people support same sex marriages and some people who aren't religious dont (Julia Gillard comes to mind)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I stated that I'd thought marriage began with Adam and eve it was not to dismiss other cultures. I know that many cultures have marriages, but when people have talked about marriage on bubhub before I've seen people say that marriage was around before religion. I'm trying to work out in my head how this works as any Christian will believe that religion (ie. Believing in God) was around since man first walked the earth and was created by God, variations have evolved as other religions have. I've tried to find information pertaining to the origins of marriage being outside of a religion, and haven't found anything, so I was asking the question to learn more about why some people believe that to be the case. So no, I'm not asking you to accept this as fact, I'm asking for more information regarding otherwise.
    The time between Adam and Eve - estimated at 3760 BCE and when G-d made the covenant with Abraham which in theory is the beginning of religion in 1743 BCE there is approx 2000 years of humans getting married without organised religion and that's if you follow the bible

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-09-2013),Kirst33  (14-09-2013)