+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Exactly. It should just be passed. But politicians let their religion cloud their judgement, as much as they say they don't. If marriage was a religious institution and not a civil one, then all weddings performed outside a church wouldn't be legal. But obviously they are. Plus, you then have the issue of determining whose religion is "right" because surely if it's Christianity or any of its offshoots, then any Jewish or Muslim marriages would be null and void.

I'm fairly certain that under Australian law, de facto couples whether gay or straight have the same rights as married couples so yes, marriage becomes redundant in terms of offering a balance of entitlements. But for some people, getting married is a hugely important event, the fact that it does nothing more than legally bind you to another and provide a social differentiation from unmarried people is neither here nor there. The fact is, we as a nation continue to discriminate against people because of their sexuality and don't allow them to have their relationship recognised as that of a married couple. It may not seem like such a big deal so if that's the case, lets ban marriage between heterosexual people and allow gay couples to marry and see what the uproar is.

That we have laws in place to protect people from discrimination based on their sexuality yet the government keeps discriminating against people because of their sexuality, is laughable, abhorrent and disgusting.

ETA: there's no "marriage" vs "civil ceremony" in Australia. It's marriage, broken down into either civil or religious ceremonies. Ministers of religion as well as civil celebrants have the authority to legally marry a couple. It's still called marriage under the Marriage Act regardless of where it's performed and who oversees it
    http://www.ag.gov.au/familiesandmarr...australia.aspx
    The rights of defacto couples aren't quite the same as married- to access family law courts a d other things de facto same sex couples need to have been cohabitant ing for 2 years for example. Basically o be a gay defacto coup,e you have I liar rights but must jump through more hoops to access them. There is also more costs involved to do things like share a surname etc. Just wanted to add that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have thought a change of name would be cheaper than a wedding even if you only count the celibant fees (ok so I cant spell some words)

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    So are the rights the same after 2years?
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 14-09-2013 at 12:12.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I was told on bubhub its not, it was around before religion (which doesn't make sense as because as a Christian, I believe religion has been around since the beginning -Adam and eve if you will).

I went to find out more and the best I can do is to find marriage has been around since ~1300bc. Which still doesn't prove marriage was originally a religious institution.

So for all of those people who don't believe marriage is from a religion, why is there any argument against Christians? If marriage was around before religions why isn't this argument being put forward to say religion has no place in determining who can and who cant get married?
    From what I can gather marriage pre-dates Christianity but not necessarily religion since (I believe) we have had some sort of 'religion' since we first walked the Earth (depending on how you define the term). I could be wrong though. It has been known.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Same Sex Marriage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    I would have thought a change of name would be cheaper than a wedding even if you only count the celibant fees (ok so I cant spell some words)

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    How dismissive. Nice way to undermine what marriage means to same sex couples (and heterosexual couples for that matter).

For the record, not everyone changes their name when they get married.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (14-09-2013),beebs  (14-09-2013),Benji  (14-09-2013),HippyGirl85  (14-09-2013),rainbow road  (14-09-2013)

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    I've just changed my name.

It's actually been quite demoralising having to constantly justify why I changed it to every institution I need to change it at.

Not to mention that it is certainly not the reason I'd like to marry my partner one day.

I changed my name because it is important for us that our son grows up feeling as though we are united as a family, despite the fact that we can't be married to demonstrate that.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (14-09-2013),beebs  (14-09-2013),Benji  (14-09-2013),ChickyBee  (14-09-2013),Kirst33  (14-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    How dismissive. Nice way to undermine what marriage means to same sex couples (and heterosexual couples for that matter).

For the record, not everyone changes their name when they get married.
    I was not being dismissive nor attempting to undermine marriage I was simply following on from the previous post, or I thought I was trying to anyway

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    I'm glad you're comfortable belittling what a marriage might mean to a same-sex couple.

If you'd go back a few pages and watch the video I posted about why marriage is important than you'd know it's not just about a last name.

I wrote an entire spiel about why it was important to me and then I realised... Why would you care? My feelings have no legitimacy when they supposedly conflict with the word of the Bible.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-09-2013),Kirst33  (14-09-2013),rainbow road  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dave, why did you marry your wife?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (14-09-2013),ChickyBee  (14-09-2013),Kirst33  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was not being dismissive nor attempting to undermine marriage I was simply following on from the previous post, or I thought I was trying to anyway

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    Damn, meant to quote not thank.

Following on by picking the most minor detail to focus on makes it dismissive in my view. Marriage is far more than a change of name for (random, made up statistic) 99% of the population I would have thought.