+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 55 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Dave

Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of why you have this point of view. Of course I completely disagree with you.

I just have 2 questions (I'm trying to understand your point of view here)
    1. You mention below that God created us male and female. I'm wondering if you believe in a literal interpretation of creation as per the bible, or whether you believe in evolution?
    2. For people who are born not quite male or not quite female, how do they fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    2) This thread has caused me to seriously consider why I feel the way I do and end of the day it is religious. It is also religious as to why I feel it is not natural. I believe the bible is God's word, written by men but from God. As such I believe what is in there. I believe that God created us Male and Female and his intent was for us to have a partner of the opposite sex.

I believe anything against Gods original intent / purpose / plan

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose Caboose View Post
    Dave

Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of why you have this point of view. Of course I completely disagree with you.

I just have 2 questions (I'm trying to understand your point of view here)
    1. You mention below that God created us male and female. I'm wondering if you believe in a literal interpretation of creation as per the bible, or whether you believe in evolution?
    2. For people who are born not quite male or not quite female, how do they fit in?
    1) Yes I believe in creation and do not believe in evolution. I do not believe in 6 24 hr days for creation but that each day is a an undefined period of time.

2) for people who are born neither one nor the other that is a hard one - who should decide, what should be the deciding factor can they change their mind etc. What would be God's view on this (from the point of view of someone like me who believes in God) I don't know.

As for why it happens, I do not believe it is part of design or God's intent any more than cancer or any other thing that effects mankind. I believe it is the effect of imperfection.

Unless someone can put themselves into the shoes of someone who does believe then they will likely never understand their point of view. I believe I understand the various points of views of others from where they stand and respect their views. I dont agree as many dont agree with mine. That is fine, each one must decide for themselves. It is not my mission or goal to sway the majority or make anyone change their mind nor is it my goal to campaign against same sex marriage.

Hope I have answered your questions to satisfaction

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks
    Reviews
    1) Yes I believe in creation and do not believe in evolution. I do not believe in 6 24 hr days for creation but that each day is a an undefined period of time.

2) for people who are born neither one nor the other that is a hard one - who should decide, what should be the deciding factor can they change their mind etc. What would be God's view on this (from the point of view of someone like me who believes in God) I don't know.

As for why it happens, I do not believe it is part of design or God's intent any more than cancer or any other thing that effects mankind. I believe it is the effect of imperfection.

Unless someone can put themselves into the shoes of someone who does believe then they will likely never understand their point of view. I believe I understand the various points of views of others from where they stand and respect their views. I dont agree as many dont agree with mine. That is fine, each one must decide for themselves. It is not my mission or goal to sway the majority or make anyone change their mind nor is it my goal to campaign against same sex marriage.

Hope I have answered your questions to satisfaction

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    I believe in God and don't understand your point of view...But that is also most likely because the churches and religious schools (Scandinavian Lutheran) I was brought up in always had the number one lesson of being non-judgmental, accepting and supportive of all different walks of life. I have many VERY religious friends that feel the same way. So it's not a matter of only believers in God feeling and understanding the way you do, as I showed above, many churches support same-sex marriage and gay clergy.

The fact that there are so many different sects of Christianity in itself shows that there are many different ways to interpret the Bible, some Christians and churches interpret it the way you do and others interpret it the way I was raised.

I remember having a discussion with the minister who married us and saying how one of the reasons we chose his church was because one of their main messages was that it does not matter what religion you practice, as long as you are trying to be a genuinely good person. I told him I loved that because I really don't believe God is as judgmental as some would have you believe and the reverend's response was that he wouldn't want to believe in a God that was.

I asked above, why are you not curious to at least learn why some churches and leaders are so accepting of marriage equality? What are they seeing in God's message that you aren't? You are not practicing so don't you think they may understand the Bible more than you?
    Last edited by Kirst33; 14-09-2013 at 07:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kirst33

My mistake, I should have said more than if someone simply believes. I should have said if they believe what I do.

There are ministers out there who believe that the bible is only a story, that only some of it is relevant, etc

Yes I believe I know a lot more more about the bible than the average minister, I used to be one.

As for the bible and belief, one of the scriptures says that even the demons believe yet they shudder.

It comes down to a matter of believing what I believe and wanting to do according to that belief what God wants us to do

If 'christians' believed the same way i do while they may be opposed to same sex marriage they would not oppose same sex marriage legislation as they would recognise that state and religion should be seperate

While I may like it when laws are based on bible principle and laws it is not my place to make it happen or prevent laws counter to the bible.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    Last edited by DaveTTC; 14-09-2013 at 07:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kirst33

My mistake, I should have said more than if someone simply believes. I should have said if they believe what I do.

There are ministers out there who believe that the bible is only a story, that only some of it is relevant, etc

Yes I believe I know a lot more more about the bible than the average minister, I used to be one.

As for the bible and belief, one of the scriptures says that even the demons believe yet they shudder.

It comes down to a matter of believing what I believe and wanting to do according to that belief what God wants us to do

If 'christians' believed the same way i do while they may be opposed to same sex marriage they would not oppose same sex marriage legislation as they would recognise that state and religion should be seperate

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    I am getting from this that you seem to feel that other Christians don't have it 'right,' only you do. Putting Christians in quotes throws off that impression.

It's not just ministers though, it's whole churches...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am differentiating one between bible based religions and those that are not and yes i think their are religions that are way off base but that is just my opinion

Christian actually means christ like or to act like christ. I dont see Christ as one who disbelieved any of the bible.

Again that is not really what the OP was on about but it is very easy to get different 'Christians' with different views. Some 'christians' will say I am not 'christian' for my view as I would say about them for theirs.

All I intended to do was answer the 4 basic questions of the OP.

There has been plenty of opportunity for me to get more involved in this thread and try and 'correct' everyone according to my view and understanding but I did not think that would be fair to the OP.

And yes I believe whole churches have been and are wrong. There is no valid scriptural reason for the inquisition or other religious extremist activity. There has been much 'ungodly' conduct by the church and churches supposedly in the name of God. There are many other things I could take up and if you want to discuss any via PM I am fine with that as again I dont see it as anything to do with this thread .... I have answered a few people via PM now

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    Last edited by DaveTTC; 14-09-2013 at 08:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry quoted instead of edit

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    Last edited by DaveTTC; 14-09-2013 at 08:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I completely agree, some churches are way off base and use religion as a means to spread hate.

But since you were replying to my post which wasn't speaking of hate it seemed you were implying that those Christians have it wrong.

Threads go in different directions all the time based on people's answers, if someone brings religion into it them it is obviously going to go that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think most christian churches follow the bible in some way. But many don't take it, particularly the OT as literal. Many in the Anglican church believe that Adam and Eve is just a fable, written by an ancient people to explain how the world started. A family member of mine is quite religious and is an evolutionist. He believes in Darwin's theories he just believes God caused the big bang. He doesn't believe the world was created in 6 days, nor that there was Adam and Eve in the true sense. Again he believes they are stories by ancient people who didn't understand science. But he still fully believes in God being the catalyst.

So maybe the division between those that believe but support gay marriage, and those that don't is that the former doesn't take the bible literally and the latter does....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dave, someone posted a long list of things considered banned according to the bible and other so called laws. If you're not making a sincere attempt to follow all of them then I can't see how the bible/ religious excuse for for calling homosexuality unnatural and wrong can be taken seriously.

Just another example of Christians using the bible to justify selective bigotry.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to orlyon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-09-2013),ChickyBee  (14-09-2013),Kirst33  (14-09-2013)