+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-09-2013),delirium  (12-09-2013),Lauzy  (16-09-2013),Pilbara  (14-09-2013),VicPark  (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    That has happened ... it was communism.

If I refrain from voting how am I infringing on your rights

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    Well it sucked right? And was a clear attack on people's right to believe and go to church. Despite being atheist, I firmly don't agree with that happening.

And they aren't my rights. Well and truly hetro and been with the same man nearly 2 decades hehe I think if you don't vote, then no, I don't see it as infringing on gay rights. Then it is just opinion.... which while I disagree with it, you are entitled to have.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-09-2013),CandE  (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From the Uniting Church-

OUR FAITH IN ACTION
    The Uniting Church's commitment to love of God and neighbour has sometimes drawn it into controversial situations. It has long taken a role in the political arena, encouraging moral, social and ethical integrity. The Uniting Church has been at the forefront of Aboriginal rights issues including the Native Title debate and reconciliation. It has taken a stand on environmental issues and supports the equality and dignity of marginalised people such as ethnic minorities, disabled people and homosexual people. It is a multicultural church, striving to treat people on an equal basis, and seeking to give a voice to the poor, outcast and needy.

Food for thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    If it is wrong according to the bible, then why do some churches and religious leaders support and accept marriage equality?
    I think because thankfully they acknowledge that the bible was written over 4000 years ago and that obviously times have changed ( female rabbis and ministers are also more common now as are gay ones) and that being gay is not a choice, you are born that way and that G- d did make man in his image so therefore every person born is accepted as they are by G-d

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    so supportive of gay mariage.

I can't understand some people are fighting against other people getting more rights? it is so sad... :-(
    Usually people are fighting to get more rights for themselves.

And I must add that it's like trying to turn back the clock. Gay marriage WILL be legal in Australia one day or the
    other (the sooner the better) :-p

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think because thankfully they acknowledge that the bible was written over 4000 years ago and that obviously times have changed ( female rabbis and ministers are also more common now as are gay ones) and that being gay is not a choice, you are born that way and that G- d did make man in his image so therefore every person born is accepted as they are by G-d
    But you would think, for those that are saying they don't support it for religious reasons, that you would be intrigued at least to learn why some churches and religious leaders (who have made the Bible their life) are happy and willing to accept and support homosexuals and same-sex marriage.

I would gather that these ministers/reverends/priests know a lot more about Christianity and the Bible than most in this thread, especially those who have said they are against it for religious reasons but are not practicing Christians. If you are not practicing then you are not necessarily committed to your religion or beliefs so why not be open to learning why practicing Christians with a much stronger faith and understanding of the Bible are supportive of this issue?

ETA: using 'you' in general sense, not at you Elijah!
    Last edited by Kirst33; 13-09-2013 at 09:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A list of all the gay-friendly churches

http://brucescommentaria.blogspot.co...hurch.html?m=1.

A comment I found at the bottom of an article about the US Supreme Court overturning Prop 8 and DOMA:

'Many comments here remind me of the early days of the Civil Rights movement. Remember when some religious leaders said the Civil Rights movement was part of a vast left wing conspiracy of Godless Communists?

Then, as now, people said that racially mixed marriages offended the 'natural order'

In rendering his decision that was overturned by the Supreme Court, Judge Leon Bazile said: "Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

Spencer W. Kimball wrote: "When one considers marriage, it should be an unselfish thing, but there is not much selflessness when two people of different races plan marriage. They must be thinking selfishly of themselves. They certainly are not considering the problems that will beset each other and that will beset their children."

So you can't fight prejudice because of prejudice?

Then, as now, some people said that their own definition of traditional marriage was predicated on denying the rights of others to marry.'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I should have elaborated more on the religious question.

I posted about how the first humans came to have two arms and two legs, because originally we were created with four arms and four legs and two faces. There were men-men, women-women and men-women pairings. We became too powerful and a threat to the Gods, so Zeus sent his lightning bolts down and split us in half, to negate our power. But we started dying, having lost our soul mates with no way to reconnect with them. So the Gods came together and created a way for us to join, if even only temporarilly which is how we come to now have s3x.

I figure if a religion that has no bearing on a group of people can stop them marrying then surely one that has no bearing on people can be for it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I missed this last night.

You do make an excellent point.

I wonder how many people of a modern popular religion read your post and thought, 'ha - as IF men-men, men-women and women-women got split by lightning bolts! pfft - what a ridiculous story...everyone knows that a man was made out of clay and then came a rib woman!!'

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (13-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    That has happened ... it was communism.

If I refrain from voting how am I infringing on your rights

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    The Soviet Union changed laws to state that people are not to attend church until they are 18 years of age as a defence against the extremely backward way they had been living previously - as peasants in an unindustrialised country when the rest of the world had already moved on and progressed.

If you think that was a bad thing, I'm sure you can probably see why same sex marriage due to religious reasons being unlawful hurts others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I agree with this wholeheartedly and do see it as a case against marriage, as opposed to a case against certain groups being granted the opportunity to marry.
    Well, I am biased against marriage, and my preference would be for it to be relegated to a religious construct only, and not have any legal meaning.

Legal protections can be set up via an Enduring Power of Attorney, Will, or other such legal constructs.

But the above is based on my bias, and I understand that the majority of society is content with marriage as a legal construct. Therefore, I do not believe that my opinion on the matter should be followed and thus support marriage equality as the alternative viewpoint.