+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 542
  1. #311
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tenambit.
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    Depends. If it an abusive relationship or what the circumstances are. If I thought it was fine to get divorced then I probably wouldn't still be married right now.

    Yes fat lazy fingers did write this =)
    Not sure if I have read your reply correctly - but I hope you are in a happy relationship - and aren't putting off leaving your husband for fear of it being considered a sin.

    I guess my point is - it has been 'lawful' to get divorced a quite a long time now, without too much talk of it being considered adultery.

    I do think it is possible for us a modern society to recognise that marriage has had many forms (especially in the bible, ownership being an overriding theme) -- and the reasons for people to get married and be issued a marriage certificate have evolved through the ages and cultures.

    The creation story - which the passage you quoted refers to has been interpreted MANY different ways...most people rejecting the 'literal' interpretation of it nowadays.




    Jennaisme ...I also find the story of Sergius and Bacchus quite interesting

  2. #312
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,309
    Thanks
    3,126
    Thanked
    6,315
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    "for this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh" (Mark 10:6-8).

    Yes fat lazy fingers did write this =)
    Cool - now which verse says 2 people of the same sex can't get married?

  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (14-09-2013),Benji  (13-09-2013),Boobycino  (12-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (12-09-2013),FiveInTheBed  (12-09-2013),Kirst33  (12-09-2013),Lauzy  (12-09-2013)

  4. #313
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tenambit.
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ..and plus, correct me if I am wrong - but didn't Jesus prefer his followers to be celibate?

    and marriage was like - 'ahh. okay - I suppose if you can't handle being celibate then I suppose it's better for you to marry rather than burn"?

  5. #314
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,517
    Thanks
    432
    Thanked
    3,246
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I should have elaborated more on the religious question.

    I posted about how the first humans came to have two arms and two legs, because originally we were created with four arms and four legs and two faces. There were men-men, women-women and men-women pairings. We became too powerful and a threat to the Gods, so Zeus sent his lightning bolts down and split us in half, to negate our power. But we started dying, having lost our soul mates with no way to reconnect with them. So the Gods came together and created a way for us to join, if even only temporarilly which is how we come to now have s3x.

    I figure if a religion that has no bearing on a group of people can stop them marrying then surely one that has no bearing on people can be for it?

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

    sockstealingpoltergeist  (13-09-2013)

  7. #315
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jerilderie
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked
    519
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok I said I was not going to come back to this thread but stupid me here I am.

    It has led me to consider the whys of my view much more so. For that I guess I can say thank you.

    Also - A HUGE THANKS - to those who disagree with my view and still respect me anyway

    Now getting back to the OPs original post and I will number her questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose Caboose View Post
    1) Do you support same sex marriage?
    2) Why/why not?
    3) Do you think same sex marriage is a threat to your marriage?
    4) Do you presume a persons' partner is of the opposite sex?
    In brief
    1) No
    2) religious beliefs
    3) No
    4) No

    expanded

    2) This thread has caused me to seriously consider why I feel the way I do and end of the day it is religious. It is also religious as to why I feel it is not natural. I believe the bible is God's word, written by men but from God. As such I believe what is in there. I believe that God created us Male and Female and his intent was for us to have a partner of the opposite sex.

    I believe anything against Gods original intent / purpose / plan, what ever you want to call it, is not natural. I also believe that human death is not natural and thus why we find it hard to grieve. There is no mention what so ever of death as part of Gods purpose but there is mention of living forever.

    I believe God has 'allowed' things to continue as they are and that he will bring about change at some point in the future. What and how is yet to be seen though there is mention of it in the bible and many interpretations of it will be. Interestingly someone mentioned eating meat on a certain day. The bible said a time would come where some would forbid the eating of meat as sign of apostasy or turning away from bible truth and adding traditions of men.

    I agree with all comments about church and state being separate. A minister of religion IMO and based on the bible has no place being involved in politics or its laws etc.

    In the bible God allows for human weakness and sin. As such there are many sins that we may commit that could or would be forgiven. To practice homosexuality according to the bible is a sin. It is not a christians place however to judge those who do not believe nor is it their place to give them a hard time over their choices.

    For a Christian (or non practicing Christian who still believes) it would be a sin IMHO to vote for something that runs counter to the bible. A christian does not therefore have to vote against it - they can simply refrain.

    To make me support same sex marriage is to make me deny God.

    If the state recognises same sex marriage I accept that. I still will not support it as in give it my vote. Will I treat someone badly because they are are a same sex couple and married - NO!
    If I am employing someone I will consider them the same as the next person. If they are on a mission to make others accept and push it down peoples throats that would turn me off. It turns me off when I see religious fanatics (whatever their denomination) trying to do the same.

    I really do not want to be going on for days about this. It seems inevitable to me that sooner or later it will be generally accepted in Australia.

    I do feel that my words have been taken and twisted. For those of you who are so passionate about this view that you seemingly want to force others to adopt your view or feel that someone is unloving if they have a different view - please rethink

    I am a very nice guy and will help people according to my ability and show appropriate hospitality regardless of their background or circumstances in life.


    Dave The Turning Cowboy

    turning wood into art
    Last edited by DaveTTC; 12-09-2013 at 19:11.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

    CandE  (12-09-2013),SAgirl  (13-09-2013)

  9. #316
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jerilderie
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked
    519
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    ..and plus, correct me if I am wrong - but didn't Jesus prefer his followers to be celibate?

    and marriage was like - 'ahh. okay - I suppose if you can't handle being celibate then I suppose it's better for you to marry rather than burn"?
    your wrong - Peter, allegedly the 1st pope, had a mother-in-law.

    For those who felt they could be committted to a life of celibacy yes it was encouraged, but it also said that if you were tempted then marry, or words to that effect


    Dave The Turning Cowboy

    turning wood into art

  10. #317
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jerilderie
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked
    519
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    Sure it can.

    Any decent religion should be about love, respect and acceptance of every person, therefore we should be accepting of gay marriage.

    Religious reasons are a whole load of hogwash.

    My faith is about loving, accepting and treating people equally.
    Yes one can accept but need not support

    In my view to support is actively promote something

    You can accept without supporting, Had the OP asked can you accept same sex marriage then I think those saying no would be almost negligible


    Dave The Turning Cowboy

    turning wood into art

  11. #318
    Mod-pegasus's Avatar
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,644
    Thanks
    1,733
    Thanked
    1,735
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think people really object simple because same sex relationships are 'foreign' to them and they don't understand how things are actually similar. And they get worried or scared their way of life is threatened. And religion is just the smoke screen reason people give as it would be rather "pussy" to admit you object to Something because you are unfamiliar with it.
    I think some people object not because their way of life is threatened, but because of other reasoning in their head.

    I've been reading this thread and read one of your responses earlier - I almost started a spin off thread, but just sat on my own musings on the subject.

    You say that you think religion as a reason is a smoke screen, and that people get worried that their way of life is threatened, but in one of your first posts in this thread you wrote that you don't like 18/19year olds or people who have just known each other only 5 minutes getting married (and that that's another thread) (sorry too much effort to go back and organise the original quote).

    So doesn't that go to show that people can be uncomfortable with other people's marriages, not because of religion, not because they are phobic of the group of people, not because they get worried their way of life is threatened, but just "because"?

    Sorry VP to single out your post, but I've watched this thread go round in circles, and people keep saying "how would letting 2 people of the same sex threaten your marriage?", We all know it's a rhetorical question - it can't threaten anyone else's marriage.

    I simply wanted to point out that objections may not be due to reasons that others think, and watching the responses on this thread (and all it's predecessors), I'd say you won't get a lot of the honest answers of people objecting.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

    CandE  (12-09-2013)

  13. #319
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I feel it's more than fair for people to try and force a change of view from people who are against something that isn't harmful in any way.

    If people DIDN'T try to force change, then women would still be raped LEGALLY by their husbands, and anyone who wasn't white would be treated as if they were vermin.

    Good on anyone, IMO, who tries to eradicate prejudice.

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (14-09-2013),Boobycino  (12-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (12-09-2013),Gandalf  (14-09-2013),Kirst33  (12-09-2013)

  15. #320
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tenambit.
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    your wrong - Peter, allegedly the 1st pope, had a mother-in-law.

    For those who felt they could be committted to a life of celibacy yes it was encouraged, but it also said that if you were tempted then marry, or words to that effect


    Dave The Turning Cowboy

    turning wood into art

    1 Corinthians 7:7-9

    New International Version (NIV)


    7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

    8 Now to the unmarried[a] and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.



    So I guess this addresses the 'don't have sex before marriage' thing, right?


    Or the sex/marriage is a distraction from Christ?

    ..i'm not 'entirely' wrong though am I? -- it was like you say, 'encouraged' or preferred.


 

Similar Threads

  1. How did you know your marriage was over?
    By mummanna in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-06-2013, 11:42
  2. Centrelink after Marriage Q's
    By OneLove in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 23-05-2013, 21:02
  3. marriage and fun
    By baby4us in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 18:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
WaterWipes
Give your babies bottom a gift this Xmas! They are the only wipe made using just water and a drop of grapefruit seed extract and may help avoid nappy rash. Check out the great reviews on bubhub and see our website for more info and availability.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Pea Pods Reusable Nappies
Pea Pods are the smart choice when it comes to choosing what's best for you, your baby and the environment. Affordable and simple to use, Pea Pods keep your baby dry & happy. Visit our website to find your nearest stockist or order online.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!