+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I don't mean to sound antagonistic but I don't get why people would use religion and/or their church as a reason to not support marriage equality. Can't they think for themselves?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Things View Post
    I'm in a same sex relationship and I am currently 11 weeks pregnant. The child is legally the child of both myself and my partner, even if we separated before birth it would be illegal for me to not put my partner of the birth certificate. There are same sex couples out there everywhere in the same situation. The argument against same sex marriage on the grounds of keeping families traditional is flawed, marriage or not, we can still create a family together. Stopping same sex marriage is just denying us the legal rights that come with marriage. I could go on about how not having those rights impacts me, but this video pretty much explains some of the points better than I could possibly hope to explain. It's long but it's really worth it.

http://youtu.be/k2CdX_y9L9w
    I saw this video months, so heartbreaking but definitely needed to be made for people to see the effects of denying couples the right to marry.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    That's a good point. But from what I can see they were only measuring gay families in this study and then comparing their results with norms that had been measured through previous studies (might be wrong there, couldn't find the full methodology). If this is the case then using different methodologies to study the two samples is not really very good science.

Anyway, i feel i'm clutching at straws now. Think I'll take off my devils hat.
    No it studied children from all kinds of families. You can make a comparison claim if you're only studying one group.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    I don't mean to sound antagonistic but I don't get why people would use religion and/or their church as a reason to not support marriage equality. Can't they think for themselves?
    Speaking for myself only & as someone raised Catholic, I think that certain things become so ingrained that you just find it impossible to challenge them. I haven't been a practicing Catholic for close to 15 years now and I still cannot bring myself to eat red meat on Good Friday.

To build on what VP said earlier about lack of exposure & fearing the unfamiliar , I suspect why a lot of people hide behind religion & the 'unnatural' argument is that it's been ingrained in them for so long that even though they know deep down or subconsciously its BS, it's still not something they can challenge their own thinking on.

I hope that makes sense - I'm sure that in a few posts someone will say it a lot more articulately than me!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    I think people really object simple because same sex relationships are 'foreign' to them and they don't understand how things are actually similar. And they get worried or scared their way of life is threatened. And religion is just the smoke screen reason people give as it would be rather "pussy" to admit you object to Something because you are unfamiliar with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wonder if religion can be used as an argument FOR gay marriage?? Hmm.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    "for this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh" (Mark 10:6-8).

Yes fat lazy fingers did write this =)
    This conversation in the bible also relates to divorce -- so do you oppose divorce aswell?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post

Tolerance, acceptance.... Fairly certain there's a few other positive messages in there!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post

Sure it can.

Any decent religion should be about love, respect and acceptance of every person, therefore we should be accepting of gay marriage.

Religious reasons are a whole load of hogwash.

My faith is about loving, accepting and treating people equally.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A quote from the church I was married in about same-sex weddings:

'We know that many same gender couples have been married to each other in their own hearts and minds for a long time. In a wedding ceremony here we will be honoring the sacredness of the commitment you have made to each other and we will be asking for God's continued blessing on you in your life together as married partners.'

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (12-09-2013),delirium  (12-09-2013),Gandalf  (14-09-2013)