+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 55 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 542
  1. #271
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mamasurfs View Post
    Same here!! I've now looked back through the whole thread and no one has actually answered as to how it affects them if two people get married?
    I understand if you think it's wrong etc etc (well I don't - but everyone is entitled to their opinion) but seriously, HOW does it affect you? in what way?
    I'll even accept religious answers, I just really want to know what the debate even is?
    It doesn't have to personally affect someone for them to have a negative opinion. I hate parents smoking around their kids and it doesn't affect me.

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    496
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked
    336
    Reviews
    0
    I haven't read through the whole thread either, but wanted to say thanks, Atropos, for your brilliant post. You have perfectly articulated all my frustrations about the current state of political discourse.

    For the record, I am absolutely for same sex marriage, and, in reference to the PP who mentioned raising children with no expectation of heterosexuality, I will be doing that too (if I ever manage to conceive, but that is another story)!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Staaz For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (12-09-2013)

  4. #273
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    349
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked
    51
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It doesn't have to personally affect someone for them to have a negative opinion. I hate parents smoking around their kids and it doesn't affect me.
    yes, bits its affecting someone. It's affecting the child.
    I just can't wrap my head around it. Who does it harm? No one.
    I hate that in this thread people who are against have said "I don't want to elaborate here" in fear of having people attack them, I really want to understand the other view point, with some solid reasons. Not because it's "unnatural" not because "I don't like it".
    I won't judge.

  5. #274
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,090
    Thanks
    322
    Thanked
    489
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamasurfs View Post
    yes, bits its affecting someone. It's affecting the child.
    I just can't wrap my head around it. Who does it harm? No one.
    I hate that in this thread people who are against have said "I don't want to elaborate here" in fear of having people attack them, I really want to understand the other view point, with some solid reasons. Not because it's "unnatural" not because "I don't like it".
    I won't judge.
    Neither can I and most of those beliefs would be based on fear or religion. If anything I usually laugh when I hear those 'unnatural' or 'i don't like it' excuses because it means they don't really have a valid reason aside from their own prejudice.

  6. #275
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I feel really embarrassed that this country is so far behind on this issue and doesn't look like catching up in the forseeable future.
    Am I the only one who's not surprised by it? Half the population still don't earn the same as the other half for doing the same jobs, and half the population still hold only a fraction of the positions of power in this country. Look at how our first female PM was treated? This country has a way to go regarding equal rights for all.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (12-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (12-09-2013),Gandalf  (12-09-2013)

  8. #276
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mamasurfs View Post
    I hate that in this thread people who are against have said "I don't want to elaborate here" in fear of having people attack them, I really want to understand the other view point, with some solid reasons. Not because it's "unnatural" not because "I don't like it".
    I won't judge.
    I may be way off, but I believe people don't want to elaborate bc they have no real reason to be against same sex marriage other than being bigoted. Not really that people will attack them. If they feared that they wouldn't post at all.

    We aren't talking about holden vs ford here. Or buggaboo vs Valco. This isn't just about an opinion. Preferring a buggaboo doesn't hurt or remove rights from valco users. Wheras being against same sex marriage, you are actively wanting to infringe on people's rights based on *your* opinion of their lifestyle. That seems nuts to me.

  9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (12-09-2013),Gandalf  (12-09-2013),Lauzy  (12-09-2013),Lillynix  (12-09-2013),MissMuppet  (12-09-2013),orlyon  (12-09-2013)

  10. #277
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,090
    Thanks
    322
    Thanked
    489
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I may be way off, but I believe people don't want to elaborate bc they have no real reason to be against same sex marriage other than being bigoted. Not really that people will attack them. If they feared that they wouldn't post at all.

    We aren't talking about holden vs ford here. Or buggaboo vs Valco. This isn't just about an opinion. Preferring a buggaboo doesn't hurt or remove rights from valco users. Wheras being against same sex marriage, you are actively wanting to infringe on people's rights based on *your* opinion of their lifestyle. That seems nuts to me.
    Apparently it's ok when it's in the name of a 'god'

  11. #278
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,600
    Thanks
    3,256
    Thanked
    4,044
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I may be way off, but I believe people don't want to elaborate bc they have no real reason to be against same sex marriage other than being bigoted. Not really that people will attack them. If they feared that they wouldn't post at all.
    I agree. Because nobody has ever brought up an argument against same sex marriage that isn't easy to point out that it's either incorrect or simply offensive, then it's much easier to go "I won't say because then you'll attack me for my beliefs." so then they can pretend that their arguments might actually make sense, or if they do come back and put them out there and are quickly explained how that's not right, they can go "see you're all attacking me!"

    *except with religious beliefs. If someone was to say it's their religious belief, it's not an opinion, it's not their idea, but they won't go against their church I could understand that. I don't have to agree but at least I can see how that could be someone's reason.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Boobycino; 12-09-2013 at 08:43.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

    delirium  (12-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (12-09-2013)

  13. #279
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,565
    Thanks
    2,851
    Thanked
    1,254
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hard core religious types believe that homosexuality is unnatural & therefore feel that by legalising same sex marriage we risk the wrath of God & a fiery hell etc... They're entitled to their beliefs (i.e. we should be no more allowed to discriminate against people because of their religious beliefs than because they are gay), but I think religion has no place in politics & politicians should be more concerned about the planet being destroyed by climate change than by God.

    When my nana (93) said she was against same sex marriage, I said "Why? Nobody is going to make you marry a woman." Silence.

    And another thing - what is the economic rationale for being against same sex marriage? Where is the evidence based policy-making?

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Funchu For This Useful Post:

    Boobycino  (12-09-2013),Busy-Bee  (12-09-2013),Gandalf  (12-09-2013),Lillynix  (12-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (12-09-2013)

  15. #280
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotdog View Post

    There are other topics I feel strongly about too - animal abuse, Americas gun laws (or lack of), and indigenous affairs just to name a few. And I've come to accept there are people who couldnt give two sh!ts about saving the Bali dogs or whatever, but I'm ok with that. Not everyone in life is going to agree with me or always want to do the right thing. And in my OPINION, they're allowed to feel differently.
    I'm sure if somebody involved in a thread defended animal abuse or the mistreatment of Indigenous Australians you'd defend your stance wholeheartedly. This issue is as important to people as the above topics are to you and, as you can see, this affects real people and when somebody says that homosexuals are 'unnatural' in a public arena such as this it does hurt people. People have said this, that he has hurt their feelings, and the responses are 'each to their own', 'entitled to an opinion', etc.

    I think he, and you, would feel VERY different if somebody said that YOUR relationship was 'unnatural', 'not normal', 'something I don't encourage', 'animals are vicious too and this isn't normal', 'uncomfortable'. This is why people are upset because there are real people with real feelings on the other end of the screen reading this nonsense.

    Anyway, this is where I disagree about 'each to their own' meaning ideas shouldn't be questioned because we may as well go back to the stone age if extreme opinions that discriminate and hurt are encouraged and left unchallenged.

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    Boobycino  (12-09-2013),Gandalf  (12-09-2013),Kirst33  (12-09-2013),rainbow road  (12-09-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. How did you know your marriage was over?
    By mummanna in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-06-2013, 11:42
  2. Centrelink after Marriage Q's
    By OneLove in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 23-05-2013, 21:02
  3. marriage and fun
    By baby4us in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 18:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
BAE The Label
Versatile, premium maternity wear that you will love throughout pregnancy and long after. Cleverly designed for for all stages of motherhood so that you can 'Just be you (+1)'.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Impressionable Kids
Impressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet sculptures. With franchise locations throughout Australia you can be assured you will receive a quality handmade product with a lifetime warranty on all frames.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!