+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 55 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    I guess I don't view it as attacking. I thought I was very polite.

Ive been in so many threads over the years where I was one of only a few people with a different opinion.

I have been personally attacked, told I must be fat and ugly, that my husband would leave me etc.

This is a good debate, people disagreeing, putting their opinions forward, not attacking.

JMO
    Wow that's harsh, just because you were posting stuff?

Ok ok ladies, you are very good at making me see this from your point of view! Maybe I just haven't been around the Hub long enough to understand how you cool kids roll.

I honestly thought Dave was getting ganged up on a bit. I guess it's hard to interpret posts when 90% of communication is non verbal.

Continue with the mass debating....
    Lolz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spotdog For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotdog View Post
    Wow that's harsh, just because you were posting stuff?

Ok ok ladies, you are very good at making me see this from your point of view! Maybe I just haven't been around the Hub long enough to understand how you cool kids roll.

I honestly thought Dave was getting ganged up on a bit. I guess it's hard to interpret posts when 90% of communication is non verbal.

Continue with the mass debating....
    Lolz
    Ha a cool kid. Why thank you. I think. LoL but I do appreciate your post.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Spotdog  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotdog View Post
    So you're saying an opinion is only an opinion if it relates to a trivial topic?
    The dictionary's definition for 'opinion':

a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

So how can you say someone is not entitled to their opinion when it's their personal view? It could very well be wrong, it's still an opinion. They shouldn't have to produce graphs and stats or evidence to prove their opinion correct - it's just a belief.

I agree with you Atropos, a majority disagree does not equate to attacking. But I was specifically talking about this thread. I've been attacked and slammed in the real world for some of my opinions but I've learnt just to realise some people are ignorant and will never change. And I need to walk away. Otherwise I'd spend my whole life worrying about what others think and that would get me nowhere.

There are other topics I feel strongly about too - animal abuse, Americas gun laws (or lack of), and indigenous affairs just to name a few. And I've come to accept there are people who couldnt give two sh!ts about saving the Bali dogs or whatever, but I'm ok with that. Not everyone in life is going to agree with me or always want to do the right thing. And in my OPINION, they're allowed to feel differently.

Hopefully one day soon laws will be passed and same sex couples can marry in Australia. But I'm not going to waste my time preaching to those that don't want to be converted.
    No to at all, refer to the article I posted. I think to be entitled to an opinion, you must be able to back it up, and I agree with the article where it says that too often, 'it's my opinion' is used to defend beliefs that would have been abandoned long ago- case in point- that being gay is unnatural etc Really, please read the article, its much more eloquently written than anything I can come up with

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    I respectfully I have abstained from this thread but since the former post says she has not met some who is opposed I raise my hand

I don't want to start a fight - for me it is a case of what seems natural. Yes there is likely influence from a religious child hood which I no longer practice.

It does not seem natural. I have some great male friends but don't need to marry them to solidify that friendship. My arguments will be the same as everyone one else's with a similar view and there will be the same counter arguments this. I saw posting as pointless.

Hand raised - now I'll crawl back I to my box.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    Thanks for putting your opinion out there, I respect that. However, I still don't feel like you've given me a reason? It's your call if you think it's unnatural & that's your opinion, but how does it affect you? I am not trying to be rude, I am honestly curious?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add I haven't read any comments past yours, just to clarify in case you've already been more elaborate

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am against people who do not support gay marriage.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glover For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (12-09-2013),KnockKnockPenny  (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read all the replies as there are far too many... I would be here all night lol

I absolutely support same sex marriage. I think it should be a basic right to all, not a privilege to some.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Ok the OP asked for people's opinions and opinions is what she got. The Op didn't specify that only people who agreed with same sex marriage should ask their opinion. I don't agree with Dave (I also think religion is a croc but that's another thread) but instead of jumping down his throat how about trying to use his posting in a *genuine* attempt to understand his views. Because understanding the opposition is the key to changing the law.

I have a theory on why some people are against same sex marriage. I have come up with it trying to use my parents as the guinea pigs. People who have not been exposed to different things (race, religion, same sex stuff) tend to fear then without knowing what they are about. Because that is what their little social bubble has grown up to believe is the way the world should be. And the only way to combat that is to flood them wih personal stories and the human side of things. So they can see for themselves that they have a lot more in common with the minority group than they thought. My parents weren't the most accepting of different races. Cracked bad jokes and everything. Then I invited some international friends home for dinner (when I was living at my parents) and my parents got talking to my friends hearing all their stories of growing up etc and were fascinated at things they had in common.

Anyway I'm not saying bendover and agree to disagree on something like this. I'm just saying if you are in a role that is actually going to make a difference to the issue of same sex marriage (politician, activist, lobbyist etc) then it may be helpful to the cause to try and understand the opposition... And that will never happen through lobbing snide remarks.
    Last edited by VicPark; 11-09-2013 at 22:50.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

harvs  (12-09-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't read the previous 270 odd post, and I'm not about to but, suffice to say, I am for same sex marriage. Firstly because there is absolutely no way that 2 people, who are not in a marriage like relationship with me or my partner in marriage like relationship, can have any negative impact on me. In fact, if people are getting to stand up infront of the ones they love and make a public, legally recognised committment to each other, that makes me feel pretty happy.

I feel really embarrassed that this country is so far behind on this issue and doesn't look like catching up in the forseeable future.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Staaz  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    WHY IS THIS EVEN STILL AN ISSUE!! Oh that's right - religion.

What I don't understand is - atheists have been getting MARRIED forever and no one says a word. People (both Christian and non-christian) who never intend on 'procreating' have been getting married forever and no one says a word. I just don't understand??

I have so many questions for those opposed to same sex marriage because of religion - but no one ever wants to answer them?!?
    Same here!! I've now looked back through the whole thread and no one has actually answered as to how it affects them if two people get married?
    I understand if you think it's wrong etc etc (well I don't - but everyone is entitled to their opinion) but seriously, HOW does it affect you? in what way?
    I'll even accept religious answers, I just really want to know what the debate even is?