+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I still find this hard to understand, let's use the animal rights example. I too am big on this. One example I'm passionate about is palm oil and the threat it's use and subsequent need for more plantations has on orangutans. Sure not everyone cares as much as me, but am I going to stop talking about it, posting articles on Facebook etc. because everyone else might not care like I do? No, because the only way to get people to care and want to help is to continue to challenge them and educate them on why it is an important issue.

If we want to see a change in the attitudes towards marriage equality and homosexuals and therefore a change in policy then we need to continue to challenge those who believe it is not 'right' or 'normal.' Challenging opinions or views will be and has been what brings change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't support gay marriage, don't get gay married, simple.

Why do people care so much about **** that will have zero impact on their lives?
    1378895566238.jpg

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaenerysT For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (11-09-2013),babybabycakes  (11-09-2013),Kirst33  (11-09-2013),Lauzy  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Dave, here are 76 things banned according to the book of Leviticus. Some are quite sensible, others ridiculous. If you can honestly say you adhere to every single one of these I might accept religion as an excuse- but you already said earlier on that you are not a practicing Christian so...
    76 things banned in Leviticus

Here’s chapter and verse on a more-or-less comprehensive list of things banned in the Leviticus book of the bible. A decent number of them are punishable by death.

Unless you’ve never done any of them (and 54 to 56 are particularly tricky), perhaps it’s time to lay off quoting 18:22 for a while?

1. Burning any yeast or honey in offerings to God (2:11)

2. Failing to include salt in offerings to God (2:13)

3. Eating fat (3:17)

4. Eating blood (3:17)

5. Failing to testify against any wrongdoing you’ve witnessed (5:1)

6. Failing to testify against any wrongdoing you’ve been told about (5:1)

7. Touching an unclean animal (5:2)

8. Carelessly making an oath (5:4)

9. Deceiving a neighbour about something trusted to them (6:2)

10. Finding lost property and lying about it (6:3)

11. Bringing unauthorised fire before God (10:1)

12. Letting your hair become unkempt (10:6)

13. Tearing your clothes (10:6)

14. Drinking alcohol in holy places (bit of a problem for Catholics, this ‘un) (10:9)

15. Eating an animal which doesn’t both chew cud and has a divided hoof (cf: camel, rabbit, pig) (11:4-7)

16. Touching the carcass of any of the above (problems here for rugby) (11:8)

17. Eating – or touching the carcass of – any seafood without fins or scales (11:10-12)

18. Eating – or touching the carcass of - eagle, the vulture, the black vulture, the red kite, any kind of black kite, any kind of raven, the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat. (11:13-19)

19. Eating – or touching the carcass of – flying insects with four legs, unless those legs are jointed (11:20-22)

20. Eating any animal which walks on all four and has paws (good news for cats) (11:27)

21. Eating – or touching the carcass of – the weasel, the rat, any kind of great lizard, the gecko, the monitor lizard, the wall lizard, the skink and the chameleon (11:29)

22. Eating – or touching the carcass of – any creature which crawls on many legs, or its belly (11:41-42)

23. Going to church within 33 days after giving birth to a boy (12:4)

24. Going to church within 66 days after giving birth to a girl (12:5)

25. Having sex with your mother (18:7)

26. Having sex with your father’s wife (18:8)

27. Having sex with your sister (18:9)

28. Having sex with your granddaughter (18:10)

29. Having sex with your half-sister (18:11)

30. Having sex with your biological aunt (18:12-13)

31. Having sex with your uncle’s wife (18:14)

32. Having sex with your daughter-in-law (18:15)

33. Having sex with your sister-in-law (18:16)

34. Having sex with a woman and also having sex with her daughter or granddaughter (bad news for Alan Clark) (18:17)

35. Marrying your wife’s sister while your wife still lives (18:18)

36. Having sex with a woman during her period (18:19)

37. Having sex with your neighbour’s wife (18:20)

38. Giving your children to be sacrificed to Molek (18:21)

39. Having sex with a man “as one does with a woman” (18:22)

40. Having sex with an animal (18:23)

41. Making idols or “metal gods” (19:4)

42. Reaping to the very edges of a field (19:9)

43. Picking up grapes that have fallen in your vineyard (19:10)

44. Stealing (19:11)

45. Lying (19:11)

46. Swearing falsely on God’s name (19:12)

47. Defrauding your neighbour (19:13)

48. Holding back the wages of an employee overnight (not well observed these days) (19:13)

49. Cursing the deaf or abusing the blind (19:14)

50. Perverting justice, showing partiality to either the poor or the rich (19:15)

51. Spreading slander (19:16)

52. Doing anything to endanger a neighbour’s life (19:16)

53. Seeking revenge or bearing a grudge (19:18)

54. Mixing fabrics in clothing (19:19)

55. Cross-breeding animals (19:19)

56. Planting different seeds in the same field (19:19)

57. Sleeping with another man’s slave (19:20)

58. Eating fruit from a tree within four years of planting it (19:23)

59. Practising divination or seeking omens (tut, tut astrology) (19:26)

60. Trimming your beard (19:27)

61. Cutting your hair at the sides (19:27)

62. Getting tattoos (19:28)

63. Making your daughter prostitute herself (19:29)

64. Turning to mediums or spiritualists (19:31)

65. Not standing in the presence of the elderly (19:32)

66. Mistreating foreigners – “the foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born” (19:33-34)

67. Using dishonest weights and scales (19:35-36)

68. Cursing your father or mother (punishable by death) (20:9)

69. Marrying a prostitute, divorcee or widow if you are a priest (21:7,13)

70. Entering a place where there’s a dead body as a priest (21:11)

71. Slaughtering a cow/sheep and its young on the same day (22:28)

72. Working on the Sabbath (23:3)

73. Blasphemy (punishable by stoning to death) (24:14)

74. Inflicting an injury; killing someone else’s animal; killing a person must be punished in kind (24:17-22)

75. Selling land permanently (25:23)

76. Selling an Israelite as a slave (foreigners are fine) (25:42)
    I haven't read this whole thread or all the replies but if you study the bible and learn the meanings of these 'laws' you would realize they are not so black and white. These laws are interpreted differently to how they are written here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Having a majority disagree with you or question your view does not equate to attacking. But even so- is calling someone's relationship "unnatural" not attacking? Is it not "slamming" someone to tell them that you do not support them in their quest to have equal rights to everyone else and end the discrimination against them based on their sexual preference? I would feel pretty "slammed" of my sexual preference was compared to violent offenders or vicious animals and deemed equally as 'abnormal' as these. You can't come in to any discussion saying things like this and then, when called out for your comments, be all "Hey, where's the respect for my opinion??"

As for the last bit, you are free to post whatever you want. If you choose to post that you are homophobic, racist, sexist or otherwise bigoted, yeah, you'll most likely get called on it. Same as in real life in that regard.
    Completely agree. There's been a pattern on here lately:

Someone gives an opinion which the majority disagrees with and is often offensive/bigoted etc
    Members disagree politely and say why
    The person making the post then throws a tanty saying "youse are all mean", "this forum is so mean" "no one can have a differing opinion without being slammed". "Youse are all bullies".
    Said member then leaves the thread with the sulks and every other thread for the next month with any active discussion repeats the above.

The irony is that just as that person has a right to an opinion on the forum, others equally have the right to disagree with them. Some join to be in a DIG and post in fluff threads (which is completely fine), others join for ttc support. Some like the forum to stretch their brain muscles and debate.

The way I see it, people have two choices. They either don't want anyone to disagree with them, so stay out of the contentious threads... or they accept people may well just disagree and contribute. Bc what I see is a vocal minority that make cringe worthy comments, then call bully the moment anyone dares disagree.

It's tiresome tbh.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (11-09-2013),Atropos  (11-09-2013),babybabycakes  (11-09-2013),Benji  (12-09-2013),Boobycino  (11-09-2013),HippyGirl85  (12-09-2013),Kirst33  (11-09-2013),Lauzy  (12-09-2013),Lillynix  (11-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (11-09-2013),VanityFey  (11-09-2013),Zombie_eyes  (11-09-2013)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Completely agree. There's been a pattern on here lately:

Someone gives an opinion which the majority disagrees with and is often offensive/bigoted etc
    Members disagree politely and say why
    The person making the post then throws a tanty saying "youse are all mean", "this forum is so mean" "no one can have a differing opinion without being slammed". "Youse are all bullies".
    Said member then leaves the thread with the sulks and every other thread for the next month with any active discussion repeats the above.

The irony is that just as that person has a right to an opinion on the forum, others equally have the right to disagree with them. Some join to be in a DIG and post in fluff threads (which is completely fine), others join for ttc support. Some like the forum to stretch their brain muscles and debate.

The way I see it, people have two choices. They either don't want anyone to disagree with them, so stay out of the contentious threads... or they accept people may well just disagree and contribute. Bc what I see is a vocal minority that make cringe worthy comments, then call bully the moment anyone dares disagree.

It's tiresome tbh.
    lubbing you so hard right now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotdog View Post
    Sorry I was a bit distracted earlier.

I absolutely agree everyone should be able to marry. But the OP was asking if you support same sex marriage and why/why not. Dave and others gave their opinions and they get absolutely slammed (as did I) for disagreeing with the majority. BH is not very welcoming of people 'going against the grain'. You may say its about challenging opinions but if you read back over this thread it seems more attacking.

I'm learning that I shouldn't post on a thread if its not going to be popular.
    Sorry this wasn't directed at you SSP, just general post.
    I guess I don't view it as attacking. I thought I was very polite.

Ive been in so many threads over the years where I was one of only a few people with a different opinion.

I have been personally attacked, told I must be fat and ugly, that my husband would leave me etc.

This is a good debate, people disagreeing, putting their opinions forward, not attacking.

JMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am all for it. Who am I to tell someone they can't get married? Why shouldn't they be allowed? They should have same rights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    This is a good debate, people disagreeing, putting their opinions forward, not attacking.

JMO
    Yep I don't see anyone attacking anyone. Just healthy discussion. Going back a few years ago when we were in our prime the debate threads were much hairer than than are now You and I would completely and utterly disagree on one subject, but agree on another.

I'm not saying people have a right to be mean to each other. But I feel like the forum has become the "babysitters club" where everyone has to hug and agree and only offer positive feedback even if someone is clearly in the wrong. Anything beyond that and people say the forum is mean and unsupportive.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-09-2013),Gandalf  (12-09-2013),Spotdog  (11-09-2013),Stiflers Mom  (12-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well.

I am raising my children in a manner where heterosexuality is not assumed. They are being raised in a manner where they understand that they might love a man or a woman, regardless of what their own sex is. I am raising them so that they won't ever feel the need to 'come out' because who they love will never be cause for shame.

I am helping to raise the next generation of adults who will hopefully see no great divide between heterosexuals and homosexuals. Everyone will be accepted and treated equally, in all aspects, no matter who they fall in love it.

I find it incredibly sad and disheartening that I am in a minority on this

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (12-09-2013),Kirst33  (11-09-2013),oozzle  (11-09-2013),SassyMummy  (11-09-2013),Staaz  (11-09-2013),sweetpeamummy  (11-09-2013),VanityFey  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep I don't see anyone attacking anyone. Just healthy discussion. Going back a few years ago when we were in our prime the debate threads were much hairer than than are now You and I would completely and utterly disagree on one subject, but agree on another.

I'm not saying people have a right to be mean to each other. But I feel like the forum has become the "babysitters club" where everyone has to hug and agree and only offer positive feedback even if someone is clearly in the wrong. Anything beyond that and people say the forum is mean and unsupportive.
    Oh my lawd. If people think this thread is full of attacks, they definitely wouldn't have coped back then.

Those were the days.

Some of the people from those days that I had such strong clashes with are on my FB now.

However I do love free hugs, but I can't tiptoe around a subject I'm passionate about.