+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotdog View Post
    Yes and you're entitled to that RR, just like Dave and others are entitled to their views.
    That's the thing, they're not. When your opinion starts to infringe upon another persons rights, you really aren't entitled to it and if you hold such an opinion surely that us enough of a wake up call to the fact that you may need to reconsider your position.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

orlyon  (11-09-2013),rainbow road  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Everyone is entitled to their views, but some views are pretty hard to accept when they are effecting other lives.

Fairly certain it was just a 'view' to make African Americans sit at the back of the bus or use separate bathrooms and drinking fountains, go to separate schools. Where would we be if those views were never challenged and we all just sat back and said 'They're entitle to their views?'

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This whole topic is crazy. Two consenting adults, be they gay, straight, purple or excessively tall should be able to marry, it's not hurting anyone. Anyone who disagrees, imo, is just heartless.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oozzle For This Useful Post:

HippyGirl85  (11-09-2013),Lauzy  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It makes me wonder how people would feel if somebody started a thread about their relationship/marriage and said it's unnatural, not normal, shouldn't be encouraged, etc. Would the response be "everybody is entitled to their opinion"? I don't particularly feel comfortable around homophobes, they make me feel yucky and a lot of people uncomfortable, but they are allowed to marry.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (11-09-2013),Witwicky  (11-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by oozzle View Post
    This whole topic is crazy. Two consenting adults, be they gay, straight, purple or excessively tall should be able to marry, it's not hurting anyone. Anyone who disagrees, imo, is just heartless.
    totally AGREE, EVEN IF THEY DO HAVEHAIRY TOES

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shellandliv84 View Post
    totally AGREE, EVEN IF THEY DO HAVEHAIRY TOES
    ESPECIALLY if they have hairy toes!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyway this is all just proving my point. Not everyone in the world is going to agree with you, that's life. And you may say it against human rights etc etc but you are never going to change everyone's mind.
    For the record, I support same sex marriage but I don't care if others don't.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Spotdog For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (11-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ok thanks for the history lesson ladies. Oh wait should I say herstory?
    All I'm saying is a lot of people celebrate Christmas as a Christian tradition and don't go to church. It doesn't mean they are any less Christian. So Dave should be able to have his beliefs and still eat meat and have untidy hair or whatever those things were Atropos posted.

Just agree to disagree, which is what Dave is doing.
    Rubbish - you were trying to call people out as hypocrites.
    Being against homosexual relationships isn't a 'tradition' in Christianity anyway.

Questioning people on their opinions is great - it is what moves society FORWARD.
    Dave chose to post his opinion on a public forum which is openly discussing a topic - a topic very much considered as a 'hot topic' in not only Australia - but the world at the moment.

There's nothing wrong with 'going against the grain' with an opinion, most people engage in conversation when they feel they have something of importance to add.
    Being prepared to back up your opinion with a valid argument is an expectation though don't you think, especially if you are going to make such statements regarding 'normality'.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-09-2013)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes and you're entitled to that RR, just like Dave and others are entitled to their views.
    No. Because my views about chocolate ice cream don't have the capacity to chip away at someone's self worth. My views about cats and dogs won't drive another human being to suicide because they feel worthless, inadequate, ashamed of themselves.

There is a reason why the level of suicide is much higher amongst gay people than other demographics and that reason is opinions like the above.

That they aren't natural. They aren't normal.

I'm very fortunate, I don't come from a family of people who judge me for loving another woman, and I don't have friends who feel that my relationship is wrong. I am also a very self assured and confident person.

But what about that 16 year old boy whose dad thinks that gays are revolting and don't deserve to live? Or whose mum stopped speaking to her sister because she came out, citing that she thought it was just unnatural? What of him? Or the ten year old girl who pretends to love the boy she sits next to to fit in with her friends, but really loves her best girl friend but can't say anything because she's seen how they tease and deride the tomboy by calling her "butch" or the "scary lesbian". What about her. Or my little boy, who I hope won't, but know might, get teased because he has two mums and no dad? Is that okay? Because it is just someone else's opinion after all...

I'm not just making this stuff up, you know. It's a horrible, horrible reality for so many people.
    Last edited by rainbow road; 11-09-2013 at 15:40.

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-09-2013),Benji  (11-09-2013),DaenerysT  (11-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (11-09-2013),Lillynix  (11-09-2013),MilkingMaid  (11-09-2013),Patience Belmont  (11-09-2013),Rarity  (11-09-2013),VanityFey  (11-09-2013),Zombie_eyes  (11-09-2013),~ElectricPink~  (16-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyway this is all just proving my point. Not everyone in the world is going to agree with you, that's life. And you may say it against human rights etc etc but you are never going to change everyone's mind.
    For the record, I support same sex marriage but I don't care if others don't.
    Who are you talking to? And how does change happen if you don't care about others opinions and raising awareness?