+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default 8 month old - so much going on, help please!

Apologies in advance, this will probably be long but I just want to be thorough in the hopes someone has some advice. Also sorry if it's in the wrong section, it's a bit of everything so didn't know where to put it.

My DD is one week shy of 8 months. At 7 months she was on a good schedule of 4 x 180ml formula feeds a day (Karicare HA, no judgement please), three solid feeds a day - a combination of purees and finger foods, and two or three regular naps a day. We have a regular bed time routine and she goes down well at 7:30 and was usually sleeping through until 6 or 7 am, occasionally waking once for an extra feed between 2 or 4am. She also got her two front bottom teeth at 7 months and had a few days of fussy behavior but that usually went away pretty quickly.

Two weeks ago I switched her over two stage 2 non HA formula and I expected that things would be off for a few days but she hasn't been the same since. She fusses at every feed and some days won't drink more than 350ml all day. She's still having regular wet nappies but I'm still worried be that she's drinking so little. Her poos have also become dry and solid. (sorry TMI!) I thought she might be teething again but this fussiness has lasted two weeks and I don't see any other signs of new teeth. She's getting harder to put down for naps, doesn't want to be wrapped but when I take her arms out or put her in a gro bag she just rolls around and it's impossible to get her to sleep. At night her sleep has really deteriorated. Last night she woke at 12 and didn't go back to sleep properly until 5am! Then she woke again at 7am. This has been happening every night this week. She just cries but doesn't want to be fed, Panadol doesn't seem to help either which makes me think its not teething, and I don't want to medicate her for no reason. I took her to the doctor last week and they said she had a very small amount of fluid in her ear but didn't want to give her anything as she's so young, they said to use saline nasal spray to unblock the ear canal and go back in two weeks so I've got a doctors appointment for next week but I'm hoping someone has some advice for getting things back on track, or even just a bit of encouragement that it's normal.

If you've gotten this far thank you! And TIA for any advice/opinions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor bubba. With fluid in her ears I would think its that? I have read it can be painful for them to drink with ear troubles so maybe that's why. Maybe see a different doc to get another opinion?if its not that they maybe go back to the formula she was happy on and see if that helps.
    My ds changed his routine all the time. Was up 5 or more times a night sometimes.. I still don't know why..
    I would start with a second opinion on the ear issue x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Black Diamonds,

I really do empathise, my daughter is 8 months and going through some similar sleep issues. It's so tough when you aren't getting enough sleep especially when you've been through the new born phase and you think the worst of it's over - then it's not

Have you tried going back to the old formula? If she's not getting enough milk it definitely affects their sleep and gets progressively worse as it has a cumulative effect (we had this problem with my daughter refluxing and reducing her formula intake which then saw her sleep spiral down and down). It can't hurt to eliminate the formula as the issue anyway. And I agree with pisang, get a second opinion on the ear from another doctor. It took 5 doctors for me to get a right diagnosis and treatment for reflux with my daughter.

Aside from that I can only encourage you with what I tell myself - the no sleeping can't last! It will pass. And whilst you wait for it to pass, be as kind to yourself as possible because everything looks worse when you're tired and worried about your baby. You're doing a good job

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would agree. Seems like the change in formula has done something. Put her back on the old one to see if it settles things. That will rule that out at least.

Don't be afraid to go to a different doctor either. If your baby is bothered by something it could be her ears and she might need drops. Some doctors are more conservative than others and, while I don't like to give my kids drugs, sometimes that are reluctant to prescribe when it is really needed

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go to a doctor now & get her ears checked because if there is a problem that could be affecting the feeding & sleeping. Secondly I would change the formula back if she was fine on the last one. Everything I've read & heard says there is no reason to move up a stage after 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I concur with pp's - can I enquiry why you moved her off the HA?

Of your worried she will have milk issues later on - My DS was on the nan HA until 12 months and I have had no issues with moving him to cows milk.

I like you tried to move him over to a non ha at 6 months and he laid in bed crying and slept less - I only il tried for 2 days and moved him back on it and he went back to normal really quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thank you so much for all the replies! I couldn't get an appointment with the Dr for tomorrow but have one for Monday, hopefully she'll be ok until then. I'll also be asking for a referral to the Paed when I visit the GP, if the GP is overlooking anything hopefully the Paed will pick it up.

As for the formula, my DH is the one who insisted we switch her over, I wasn't keen at all because she was doing really well on the HA but he insisted saying he'd read after 6 months they had to be switched over to get more iron. I don't know, I should probably do my own 'research' but frankly I'm too exhausted so just gave in at 7 months as I was tired of arguing. Also I'm not sure if its the change of formula that's the problem or if she's trying to drop a feed, if she's trying to drop one that'll be milk every 6 hours and it seems like a long time for her to go without milk, although I suppose not that long compared to just not drinking any all day.

Anyway sorry for rambling, it's been a long day! Thanks again, it helps just getting it all out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can I also mention that you can keep you lo on the original step one formula until she weans. There is no actual reason to change formulas, although the marketing departments at formula companies would love us to think so. If she is happy on the original formula, don't change.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by moongazer; 29-08-2013 at 14:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also suggest changing back to the step one formula, step two can make them more constipated which if she's having dry solid poos it sounds like she might be. It could also be because its non HA I think, I know DD1 could only have Nan gold ha step 1 or she would get constipated, her iron levels were and still are fine
    Last edited by TableDancer; 29-08-2013 at 16:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or step 2 in the HA formula???