+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi everybody!

I'm starting my 3rd and final year of Nursing at Deakin in Geelong in March! So excited to be done soon!!

For those of you that are pregnant and/or have young kids.... you can do it! I was pregnant my whole first year, had a 6 month old and 3 year old the second year, and I came out fine. It was a bit of a struggle at times but it definitely can be done!! I was on campus probably 2 days a week!!

GOOD LUCK YOU ALL!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrskb For This Useful Post:

3cheekyboys  (13-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    it's a long shot, but there was a lady in my Bachelor of midwifery information session today who came in with her two little kids.. just wondering if she's on this forum?
    If so, I just wanted to tell you well done!! & that your kid were SO well behaved, I was so amazed! good on you for bringing them with you & doing what you need to do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrskb View Post
    Hi everybody!

I'm starting my 3rd and final year of Nursing at Deakin in Geelong in March! So excited to be done soon!!

For those of you that are pregnant and/or have young kids.... you can do it! I was pregnant my whole first year, had a 6 month old and 3 year old the second year, and I came out fine. It was a bit of a struggle at times but it definitely can be done!! I was on campus probably 2 days a week!!

GOOD LUCK YOU ALL!
    Hi! Congratulations to you & well done!!
    Just a couple of questions, when were you due? & how did you juggle school with the birth of your child? did you take any time off?
    I'm due July 25th and have planned to take second semester off because I don't know how I will do otherwise, (second semester starts july 29!)?but I'd love to keep studying that second semester but don't see a way. Any too or advice would be fantastic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamasurfs View Post
    Just a couple of questions, when were you due? & how did you juggle school with the birth of your child? did you take any time off?
    I'm due July 25th and have planned to take second semester off because I don't know how I will do otherwise, (second semester starts july 29!)?but I'd love to keep studying that second semester but don't see a way. Any too or advice would be fantastic!
    Hey!!
    My daughter was due September 28, but I had to be induced and had her on the 18th. This worked well for me because it was close enough to the end of the school year. I had her, and then wrote a large case study, then say exams when she was 2 weeks old. We then had 5 months off uni.

I don't know what to tell you with your uni. I don't think you could continue full time with a baby that young, BUT, it is entirely up to you. The good thing about the baby being a newborn, is if you took it to class with you, it would pretty much sleep the whole time. Another option would be to only do 1 or 2 subjects and do part time for second semester.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in the same position, surprise bub is due August 19 so I think I will defer for that semester, but considering just doing one subject that doesn't require labs etc, but not sure on how I will manage one with a newborn! My uni offers one subject over Summer so I will definitely do that, and then go back in 2015 either doing 2 but hopefully 3 subjects. Will see how I go.
    I understand your wanting to complete semester 2, I feel the same way, but have to keep reminding myself being there completely for my bub in the early weeks is more important, but it is hard!!

Sent from my C5303 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cheekyboys View Post
    I'm in the same position, surprise bub is due August 19 so I think I will defer for that semester, but considering just doing one subject that doesn't require labs etc, but not sure on how I will manage one with a newborn! My uni offers one subject over Summer so I will definitely do that, and then go back in 2015 either doing 2 but hopefully 3 subjects. Will see how I go.
    I understand your wanting to complete semester 2, I feel the same way, but have to keep reminding myself being there completely for my bub in the early weeks is more important, but it is hard!!

Congratulations on the impending arrival! It's also nice to hear I'm not alone.
    I have decided to completely defer semester 2 as there are no subjects that doesn't have any attendance requirements. That way I can also use all my energy on the new baby & also mastering being a mum to two. Plus, I'm already finding uni quite hard as it is, so I don't want any added pressure.
    What I am struggling with a little is the weird looks from people at uni when they look at my belly (I'm very obviously pregnant) it makes me feel self conscious, silly I know!

Your plan sounds fantastic, I wish you all the best, I sure we will smash it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mamasurfs For This Useful Post:

3cheekyboys  (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on the impending arrival! It's also nice to hear I'm not alone.
    I have decided to completely defer semester 2 as there are no subjects that doesn't have any attendance requirements. That way I can also use all my energy on the new baby & also mastering being a mum to two. Plus, I'm already finding uni quite hard as it is, so I don't want any added pressure.
    What I am struggling with a little is the weird looks from people at uni when they look at my belly (I'm very obviously pregnant) it makes me feel self conscious, silly I know!

Your plan sounds fantastic, I wish you all the best, I sure we will smash it.
    I have found this week overwhelming too!!! Will see how I go, promised myself if I felt overwhelmed I would drop a subject come week 5 census.
    Are you doing mid or nursing (or both!), Mamasurf?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cheekyboys View Post
    I have found this week overwhelming too!!! Will see how I go, promised myself if I felt overwhelmed I would drop a subject come week 5 census.
    Are you doing mid or nursing (or both!), Mamasurf?

That's a great idea! are you doing full time?
    I'm doing straight mid (would have liked to do a dual but no one offered part time, so figured if I wanted to I'd just study nursing afterwards)
    What about you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey girls...I'm wanting to apply for Bachelor of Mid in 2015. I have wanted to do this for a VERY long time and my time has come!! Eeeek!

Sooo, wondered if you have any idea yet on the amount of time in placement in your first year, if any? I'm looking at ACU in Melbourne and from the brochure it looks like first semester is placement free

I have heaps of flexibility now the youngest child is in school, so very excited!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi & goodluck with your applications...in VIC you only have to sit the STAT test if your a mature age applicant and/or been out of study for 5+yrs.....Im currently trying to decide whether to apply for the B-Mid or do a dual degree in B-Nursing & B-Mid, im mature age an will have to complete VCE studies b4 I can apply, I was going to do just B-mid but after reading & hearing about direct entry midwives getting abit of grief from nurses im not sure which one to choose...also although there are alot of jobs available for midwives apparently a nurse/midwife would prob get a job over just a registered midwife due to skills on the ward etc.....DON'T KNOW WHAT TO CHOOSE : (