+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I got a 90 in Victoria 10 years ago but since discovered in qld if you have done 1 year of full time uni or tafe they base your entrance score on that. 1 years uni with a grade point average of 4 or above is equal to about a 95 selection rank so with all of your study you should have no problem at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykym View Post
    Thank you! It sounds like such a rewarding career, my midwife friend says she never feels like she is stuck at work. I did 1 yr of a law degree (enough to know it didnt suit me at all) so looking forward to studying something a bit more hands on if I get in!
    It absolutely is a rewarding career. I moan about the early starts and 12hr shifts but you wouldn't get me doing anything else. It's a real privilege to be allowed into someone's world in the way you are as a nurse or midwife. Doesn't matter how many babies I bring into the world, I still get a tear in my eye with each one :-) Good luck to you all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykym View Post
    Maybe it's a vic thing then, rang acu and qtac here and both said I personally didnt need to do it.
    ohhh I wish I'd known this earlier lol. so frustrating! I find the whole process really confusing to he honest!

On the course guide (in vic) it said if you're applying seas, then you must do it. I wasn't even sure if I needed to apply with seas or not, I called vtac and the lady was no help just told me she couldn't tell me what to do?! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies! I've applied for nursing/midwifery. I have been out of school for 10 years...so I'm a bit nervous about the STAT. I've book the NOV test so hopefully that gives me enough time to get my brain working again!
    As a back up, I've also applied for a bachelor of nursing and a diploma.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default bMid Melbourne 2014

Hi all! So happy to see a thread like this ha been started. I am looking at relocating from Sydney to Melbourne to start a bMid in 2014 (Sydney courses are way to competitive to get in... my marks were high, but not THAT high and i am desperate to start studying the course!!!)

I am currently looking at studying at either Victoria University or ACU as these are the uni's that offer the bMid. As i am not from Melbourne, I wondered if anyone had any opinions on which course or university is "better"? I know that the courses are much the same, and I prefer the format of the VU course, but there seems to be many more people on these forums choosing ACU and I can't seem to find a reason for it?

Is anyone applying for these courses next year? Are there any students of these uni's on here?

Would LOVE to hear from you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddymooo View Post
    Hi all! So happy to see a thread like this ha been started. I am looking at relocating from Sydney to Melbourne to start a bMid in 2014 (Sydney courses are way to competitive to get in... my marks were high, but not THAT high and i am desperate to start studying the course!!!)

I am currently looking at studying at either Victoria University or ACU as these are the uni's that offer the bMid. As i am not from Melbourne, I wondered if anyone had any opinions on which course or university is "better"? I know that the courses are much the same, and I prefer the format of the VU course, but there seems to be many more people on these forums choosing ACU and I can't seem to find a reason for it?

Is anyone applying for these courses next year? Are there any students of these uni's on here?

Would LOVE to hear from you!!
    I think many people choose ACU because it's a highly regarded course. I can't tell you with certainty why though! For me, I chose ACU because VU is too far for me!
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all the programs have had to meet registration and accreditation requirements so academically/course content wise they're all pretty much similar.

However there is a difference in how each program is delivered. Some want you to be on campus attending lectures 5 days a week and then doing a placement for 2 weeks at the end of semester. Some uni's want you on campus for half the week and doing placement for the other 2 days that week. Others offer online lectures and you do your placement whenever you want and don't have to go into campus at all. Some uni's put you in the same hospital for all 3 years others change it every semester. The assessment and assignment/examination structures will also be different. There is also the continuity of care requirements which differ between universities.

Each of these different ways have pros and cons depending on your lifestyle (kids/no kids, employment etc) and how you study.

My my suggestion would be to look at all of the programs on offer in your area, ask lots of questions and figure out which one is going to work best for you, as opposed to picking one because it's the best course for other people.

At the end of the day you will be a midwife regardless of which uni you go to, but it's a bloody tough three years so picking a course that is going to work with you and not against you will make it easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are there any current students of the midwifery courses at VU and ACU out there that can share there experiences of the courses and unis? What were your experiences with clinical placements, etc.

From my correspondence with people at VU it seems to be a little unorganised... I'm not sure if this will be indicative of the actual uni.

So ACU is more "highly regarded"? I know in Sydney there are universities with more "prestige", so i suppose it is similar in Melbourne too?

It's so hard to get an idea of all these things when you don't live in the state. I don't want to relocate my whole life down here to have made the wrong decision and be stuck at a uni that I hate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So ACU is more "highly regarded"? I know in Sydney there are universities with more "prestige", so i suppose it is similar in Melbourne too?
    It's midwifery, all the courses have been accredited and regulated so there's not really any prestige associated with one uni or another like there is with law, business etc. No one has ever asked me what uni I went to, they were more interested in what hospitals I'd done my clinical placement in as it's really the hospital midwives that teach you how to practice as a midwife not the uni.

It's so hard to get an idea of all these things when you don't live in the state. I don't want to relocate my whole life down here to have made the wrong decision and be stuck at a uni that I hate.
    Worst comes to worst, you change uni's after a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not sure if this helps, but I am doing bachelor of nursing in South Australia. I was 24 when I got accepted and I didn't sit the STAT test, it was based on my cert 3 aged care, and subjects I had already done in higher education.