+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    What makes you want to deal in sex therapy Alomumma? And how did that tie in with your interest in Mid?? I have to admit I have no idea what sex therapy involves!! Just have a generic idea. Probably like Americans who think that kangaroos jump down our streets and koalas hang off our backpacks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Girl View Post
    No, they've just closed for the early offers - i can do one up to december 5. So if I don't get an early offer I'll add that!! But hey, we're both good enough to get a screaming in early offer!!! No worries!
    Haha of course we are! We are going to have the pick out of all our preferences!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Girl View Post
    What makes you want to deal in sex therapy Alomumma? And how did that tie in with your interest in Mid?? I have to admit I have no idea what sex therapy involves!! Just have a generic idea. Probably like Americans who think that kangaroos jump down our streets and koalas hang off our backpacks
    Well sex therapy/education is where you can either teach sexual health promotion and safety or you can help people with sexual dysfunction, couples etc.
    I have always wanted to be a mid so I jumped ship when a friend conceived twins and convinced me to follow my heart not my head.
    Now where the 2 collide is when you go out on placement and see the lack of consideration for a woman as a sexual being. Sometimes you will see health care workers staring, pulling, prodding, poking and torturing a woman's genitals and then stitch them back up and send her on her way. Not even a mere thought about what that might do to her libido, feelings of sexual desire or intimacy issues with her partner. It's like "well your baby is fine, what else do you want?//, Oh, respect?? well sorry we can't do that!'

In my personal statement I spoke about what midwifery meant to me. How it wasn't about babies but women and supporting them to become confident and able parents. I spoke about my 4 births a bit and how they were each so different but they all highlighted the need for a woman to be successful in her journey she needs adequate and appropriate support.

Or something like that. The STAT as you mentioned was not that scary just general knowledge stuff, I just felt more out of place with all the youngsters lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old are you alomumma? Glad to see you have 4kids! Gives me hope lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by abby cadabby View Post
    How old are you alomumma? Glad to see you have 4kids! Gives me hope lol!
    oh Abby, if I knew you were worried about how many kids you have I would have told you....I have 7!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alomumma View Post
    Well sex therapy/education is where you can either teach sexual health promotion and safety or you can help people with sexual dysfunction, couples etc.
    I have always wanted to be a mid so I jumped ship when a friend conceived twins and convinced me to follow my heart not my head.
    Now where the 2 collide is when you go out on placement and see the lack of consideration for a woman as a sexual being. Sometimes you will see health care workers staring, pulling, prodding, poking and torturing a woman's genitals and then stitch them back up and send her on her way. Not even a mere thought about what that might do to her libido, feelings of sexual desire or intimacy issues with her partner. It's like "well your baby is fine, what else do you want?//, Oh, respect?? well sorry we can't do that!'

In my personal statement I spoke about what midwifery meant to me. How it wasn't about babies but women and supporting them to become confident and able parents. I spoke about my 4 births a bit and how they were each so different but they all highlighted the need for a woman to be successful in her journey she needs adequate and appropriate support.

Or something like that. The STAT as you mentioned was not that scary just general knowledge stuff, I just felt more out of place with all the youngsters lol
    Oh heck yeah - now I see the connection - currently supporting a woman who has had this exact scenario and its caused her to be all closed up, fearful and angry at the system. I'm working to help her have as much control over her upcoming birth as possible.

I'll think about my personal statement - I didn't know it was worth doing as it wasn't required for ACU....oh well, live and learn. I may get in without it

just so excited that the time is FINALLY here. I am 40 this year - I have wanted to do this since I was 19!! Well, 20 maybe. But still...I remember watching with sadness last year as others were excited to be starting...now it's me!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 33. I started young ;-) really young.

It is shocking how some people don't realize there is a person attached to the vagina!

Anyway without ranting. It's a long term dream. Just have to finish mid and everyday i get a little bit closer to that goal.

There is a mum who is 3rd year, has 6 kids and regularly runs marathons. So don't worry you will be fine abby cadabby. All you need to do this degree is passion and a hint of insanity lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow big girl 7 kids well done!!
    Alomumma I definitely have the passion and insanity lol!
    I'm 29 had my first at 22 and now have 5 lol just keen to get the party started lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    you guys are going to smash it!

5 and 7 kids! Wow I feel like a cheat when I say mum of 4. I don't have 4 small kids. I have one who is coming closer to 18 by the minute. A 10, 5 and 4 yr old. So not like having all small kids running around at all.