+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Naturopathy and depression

Hi there,
    I was wondering if any of you guys have been to see a naturopath for depression (or anything else, really), and had a positive result.

I've been on and off every damn chemical antidepressant you can think of over the last 3 years. Every GP I saw just kept throwing them at me, and either they didn't work, or the side effects were too debilitating to continue on them for long enough (being a single and alone mum, I need to be able to function at least a little during the break-in phase). Anyway, after my last failed attempt, I decided to google more natural ways to deal with depression and came across naturopathy. I thought "what the hell, it couldn't hurt!" and had my first appointment today.

I really didn't know what to expect when I went in there, but the dude was surprisingly confident that he can help to get me back on track painlessly, and relatively quickly - Naturally, I'm skeptical.

He sent me home with 3 nutritional supplements (and $180 less in my pockets) - Proxan, Inkephalin and kava. Kava I'm familiar with, but the other two have me stumped. The way he explained them made them sound like they were completely amazeballs, and it made me wonder if they were so great, then why aren't more people more aware of this approach rather than throwing a bunch of artificial and dangerous chemicals down their throats? (It eventually dawned on me that it could possibly be because of the influence of the pharmaceutical companies and their $$$... Anyway, I digress...)

So, I guess I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any success stories (involving depression or otherwise) to share. I'm sitting on the fence as far as whether or not it's a bit wishy washy, and I feel like I'm clutching at straws. BUT, I find myself feeling desperately hopeful, like, if this doesn't work, then nothing will. Otherwise, I'm doomed to a life of misery, or at the very most, a mediocre life of chemical dependency.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Id be interested to know if anyone has any good experiences too. I was considering seeing a naturopath or homeopath for some other issues soon. I hope it works for u

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH has had success with acupuncture. He too was unable to find any medication to help him. But acupuncture seems to work and you can really tell the difference once he has had it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just another health option for you if you would like to research it. Diet change, higher fat/low carb diets especially paleo, healthy fats, no grains, many have experienced great benefits in mental health. For those moments when the brain decides to play on negative thoughts I strongly advise looking into mindfulness, it is so simple (not always easy) and so in readily effective if you persist.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There is a really interesting book called the 6 step depression cure by stephen allardi. If you are going the naturopath route, I think back it up with lifestyle change, and counselling etc. perhaps look into NLP?I personally am on meds, I was lucky to find one that worked, but also the cost of naturopathy is prohibitive to me unfortunately.All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been battling PND since the kids were born 4 years ago and recently went to see a natropath after coming off my meds. She did a saliva test and found I am deficient in iron, progesterone with unstable blood sugar levels. Since starting the diet and taking the herbs, vitamins, hormones and potions she prescribed I have noticed a big difference in moods and energy levels so there obviously is something in it.

When your battling any kind of illness than I am a firm believer in fighting it with body, mind and soul and combining traditional medicine with alternative as well as re program your mind and thinking. Also try practising mindfulness, I found that to be great for my mind.

Good luck, hope it works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your stories guys.

So I took my first lot of pills this morning, at about 10am, with breakfast as suggested (which I rarely have due to intense nausea), and 4 hours later just did something that I haven't done in about 10 years, and never thought I'd do again - I skipped all the way down the hallway! I didn't even realise I was doing it until after the fact...

I'm stunned. No nausea, anxiety WAY down... I actually managed to spend a couple of hours wandering around the shops without desperately wanting to get back to the safety of my own home as quickly as possible. It may be some sort of placebo effect, but I honestly don't care - Whatever is happening, I feel more human than I have felt in years.

Aggggh! This is so exciting!!!!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RocketQueen For This Useful Post:

ButterflyMa  (29-08-2013),deesse  (19-02-2015),RipperRita  (29-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default One happy mama

Hi all I am new to Bub hub so forgive me if I don't know the abbreviations and proper terms etc.

I have been using Proxan & inkephline for over a year. I have found them fantastic. Very stabilising and little or no side effects which is a change from the antidepressant drugs. I thought the same when I was first told about them, why don't more ppl know, truth is any people don't turn to naturopathic care and a Dr. won't recommend something or can't unless it has been endorsed by government.

I used the kava for a short period and another product into tally called calmX which is made from same company as the others. I haven't had anxiety like I did since.

I highly recommend seeing a naturopath. There are definate benefits. Keep in mind those with any mental illness should always work with all the necessary and recommended health professionals.

Hope that helps. 😃💟🎀

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lissy017 For This Useful Post:

zooey  (18-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've seen so many positives from just taking care of myself through vitamins, herbs, meditation, good food etc that I want to study nutritional medicine absolutely pharmaceuticals help but I think everyone could try a naturopath once in a while x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkingMaid View Post
    There is a really interesting book called the 6 step depression cure by stephen allardi. If you are going the naturopath route, I think back it up with lifestyle change, and counselling etc. perhaps look into NLP?I personally am on meds, I was lucky to find one that worked, but also the cost of naturopathy is prohibitive to me unfortunately.All the best
    Thankyou for that information about that book you can get it from amazon books cheap i just saw. I might get a look at that myself, i dont think the library has books like that . I think we should treat ourselves in a more natural way as he outlines in the books introduction. I noticed vitamins and exercise helped me but i felt it hard to beat the positive mind stuff when you're living it all day. there is a lot more information around today for people, I wish i had the internet 15 years ago to look at all this.