+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 146
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    But the 'potential threat' is so small as to be nearly non-existent. You are asking dog owners to modify their behaviour based on someone else's irrational fear. (By the way I'm referring to pp who said that dogs should be on leash at all time, which is not illegal - not to the op situation where dogs are off leash in a playground)
    I know my MIL (who was rounded up by two rottweilers) doesn't go to the beach during the hours that dog owners are permitted to let their dogs off the leash. I think that's a better idea than dogs on leashes 100% of the time. Her fear is very real and not irrational based on her personal experience but she doesn't expect others to not go to the beach iykwim.

    I'm talking at the park. I don't mind dogs off the leash where they are allowed.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    Meg2  (29-08-2013)

  3. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    387
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked
    372
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    People have listed very valid reasons as to why they aren't comfortable around dogs who are not on leashes. If a woman isn't comfortable walking on her own because of potential human attacks, who am I to tell her she's wrong? Just as it's not wrong to feel uncomfortable around dogs. It's wrong to tell others what they should do. Nobody in here has mentioned that *others* are stupid for going to the park where dogs are present.

    I'm not missing your point, I just disagree.
    So you're saying that if a woman has a fear of walking alone, then we just accept that is her fear and that she may be restricted in what she does (we don't ask men not to go to parks in case they scare the women). But if a person has an irrational fear of dogs then it is somehow the dog owner's responsibility to restrict their behaviour to accommodate that fear?

    ETA just saw your last post. It seems we agree.

  4. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes, dog owners quite literally have to keep their dogs under control. It's part of being a responsible dog owner.

    Assaults committed by humans are a massive societal problem, if it were as easily solved as keeping attackers on leashes believe me - I'd be all for it!!!

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (29-08-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (29-08-2013)

  6. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    388
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked
    143
    Reviews
    0
    I hve 2 border collies who look like the sweetest things ever so kids always want to pat them. However I dont trust my dogs or other peoples children to have them off leash in a playground. I think its very irresponsible. Dogs are animals and even the most placid animal can attack without warning.

    However on the flip side I get furious seeing young children being aloud to run free in an off leash dog park. I've had to tell a group of children off after they asked if they could play with my dogs. I said no (this is before children an they had not been socialised with children much) they jumped the fence and started chasing my dog who was terrified of them. Now if she bit on of them it would have been mine an my dogs fault and my dog probably would have been euthanased even though we were doing the right thing. I think its every parents responsibility to teach their children how to behave around dogs from a young age, which many dont seem to do.

    Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  7. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    387
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked
    372
    Reviews
    0
    I agree with the frustration of children in dog off-leash areas. I've been told off at a dog park by a woman who wanted to teach her children to ride their bikes there. She shouted at me to get my dogs away from her children (my dogs were fetching a ball and were nowhere near her kids). I told her that this was a designated off-leash area and if she wanted to teach her children to be scared of dogs then maybe they should find somewhere else to play. I think we all left the park in a bad mood that day.

  8. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,377
    Thanks
    820
    Thanked
    1,104
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I agree with the frustration of children in dog off-leash areas. I've been told off at a dog park by a woman who wanted to teach her children to ride their bikes there. She shouted at me to get my dogs away from her children (my dogs were fetching a ball and were nowhere near her kids). I told her that this was a designated off-leash area and if she wanted to teach her children to be scared of dogs then maybe they should find somewhere else to play. I think we all left the park in a bad mood that day.
    That would have frustrated me too! An off leash dog area is probably not the best place to teach your children to ride a bike.

    With regards to kids in off-leash areas though, I believe my daughter has just as much right to be there as any adult. I get super frustrated when she is jumped all over and annoyed by dogs when we are walking our dog there. If she was running around then its a little different, but she does not deserved to be hassled just because its an off leash area.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (29-08-2013)

  10. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,293
    Thanks
    3,115
    Thanked
    6,304
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    But the 'potential threat' is so small as to be nearly non-existent. You are asking dog owners to modify their behaviour based on someone else's irrational fear. (By the way I'm referring to pp who said that dogs should be on leash at all time, which is not required by law - not to the op situation where dogs are off leash in a playground)
    Dogs are required by law to be on a lead at all times except when in an off lead park/beach ( even then you can still be fined if you do not have control over your dogs) even having a lead on your dog but not holding it is an offence in NSW

  11. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    387
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked
    372
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Dogs are required by law to be on a lead at all times except when in an off lead park/beach ( even then you can still be fined if you do not have control over your dogs) even having a lead on your dog but not holding it is an offence in NSW
    Yes, so there are places where the law allows dogs to be off leash in public.

  12. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    387
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked
    372
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    That would have frustrated me too! An off leash dog area is probably not the best place to teach your children to ride a bike.

    With regards to kids in off-leash areas though, I believe my daughter has just as much right to be there as any adult. I get super frustrated when she is jumped all over and annoyed by dogs when we are walking our dog there. If she was running around then its a little different, but she does not deserved to be hassled just because its an off leash area.
    Oh yes, I agree that there is no reason that kids can't be in dog off leash areas, just that everyone has to understand that there will be dogs running around without leads on in those areas and it therefore might not be the best place for certain activities.

  13. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Townsville
    Posts
    791
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked
    364
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    That would have frustrated me too! An off leash dog area is probably not the best place to teach your children to ride a bike.

    With regards to kids in off-leash areas though, I believe my daughter has just as much right to be there as any adult. I get super frustrated when she is jumped all over and annoyed by dogs when we are walking our dog there. If she was running around then its a little different, but she does not deserved to be hassled just because its an off leash area.
    Yes and it is the responsibility of dog owners (even in off leash areas) to control their dogs and be responsible for their dogs actions. Just because it is off leash it doesn't mean that they the dogs can run amok and annoy other people. I don't take my pooches to the dog park anymore because other people just would not control their dogs and they would rush at my dogs before we even walked through the gate into the dog park and the owners would be over the other side not even trying to call their dogs back to them.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharlee32 For This Useful Post:

    Blessedwith3boys  (29-08-2013),LoveLivesHere  (29-08-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Can you play in school playgrounds during the holidays?
    By River Song in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-07-2013, 17:32
  2. Dogs & NYE
    By Luna Lovegood in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20-12-2012, 19:42
  3. Dogs
    By Candiceo in forum Safety Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 22-11-2012, 14:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Softer than your bub's bum Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Australia's favourite eco brand has delivered a gorgeous baby collection. Made from organic bamboo, Boody's extraordinarily soft and stretchy, skin-friendly tops, bottoms, onesies, bibs and wraps don't 'cost the earth'. Get 20% OFF! Code BUBHUB16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Maternity Clothes
Looking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find preloved maternity wear
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!