+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Havent read replies - but it annoys the cr@p out of me - esp as one of my kids is afraid of dogs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The OP in the other thread didn't say it was the woman's fault if she got attacked at all. She just said she was concerned because it was unsafe and there was a multitude of replies saying that statistically it wasn't that dangerous.

People in this thread are suggesting that dog owners should change their behaviour (ie keep their dog on a leash at all times in public). They are also saying that they teach their children to modify their behaviour around dogs (not approaching them etc). I'm saying that the risk that dogs pose does not justify this kind of fear.
    Last edited by Meg2; 29-08-2013 at 10:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    The OP in the other thread didn't say it was the woman's fault if she got attacked at all. She just said she was concerned because it was unsafe and there was a multitude of replies saying that statistically it wasn't that dangerous.

People in this thread are suggesting that dog owners should change their behaviour (ie keep there dog on a leash at all times in public). They are also saying that they teach their children to modify their behaviour around dogs (not approaching them etc). I'm saying that the risk that dogs pose does not justify this kind of fear.
    One person said - she was assaulted once, if she's assaulted again it's on her head. And it went around and around as to why this mature, grown woman "shouldn't" go to the park.

FearlessLeader did NOT say "my friend is 50 but keeps going to the park where there are dogs off leashes. I TOLD her to not go there again but she won't listen - she's so stupid!!"

Massive difference.

The law generally stipulates that dogs are supposed to be on leashes in public parks. People have to control their animals - not their friends.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (29-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

People in this thread are suggesting that dog owners should change their behaviour (ie keep their dog on a leash at all times in public). They are also saying that they teach their children to modify their behaviour around dogs (not approaching them etc). I'm saying that the risk that dogs pose does not justify this kind of fear.
    One main difference. In this thread the perpetrator is an animal, with animal instincts they can't control. In the other thread the perpetrators would be human, able to control their actions.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (29-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The analogy is around the wrong way, anyway. People in this thread are asking that the potential threat be removed - i.e. simply that people put their dog on a leash as the law stipulates. Nobody has said that the people who could be potentially attacked by the dogs stop going to the park!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

People in this thread are suggesting that dog owners should change their behaviour (ie keep there dog on a leash at all times in public). They are also saying that they teach their children to modify their behaviour around dogs (not approaching them etc). I'm saying that the risk that dogs pose does not justify this kind of fear.
    Agreed It's all a bit much isn't it. My DH is a ranger. What you need to do if a dog approaches you is yell loudly at it. It will usually scare them away. I grew up with animals there is a photo of me at age 1 - laying on our labrador x'd and laughing with joy. I really think people just go too extremes sometimes. I think children just need to learn not to touch strange dogs unless they ask and they need to respect animals. So many kids can be cruel to them and pull their tails, fur ect so honestly who can blame a dog for biting them, I too would want to bite someone if they pulled my hair!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, I think people are missing my point somewhat. I'm not saying that the two threads are exactly the same and I'm not interested in having the discussion about whether rapists should control their actions in this thread. I'm saying there is one element of that thread that is similar to this one and people are being inconsistent *in that particular element* of the argument.

What I am saying is that people shouldn't be so worried about being around dogs that are off leash, just like women shouldn't be so worried about walking around by themselves because in both cases it is very unlikely that anything bad will happen to you (in fact a lot less likely in the dog case).
    Last edited by Meg2; 29-08-2013 at 10:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might get crucified for admitting this BUT I have two dogs that I do occasionally have off lead. One of my dogs is not super friendly with some dogs (occasion where a big massive dog ran up behind us while I was walking them on lead and jumped on her from behind, fight or flight reflex, now doesn't like dominant or in your face dogs) so we don't take them to dog off leash areas. But I would still think of myself as a responsible dog owner, when I walk them 'off lead' I only do it when it is quiet (not peak walking time) as training them to heal and I still have their leads on them just I am not holding them meaning if I see other people (with kids or dogs) approaching I can pick up the leads straight away or if I take them to the park/oval (to throw the ball) I make sure there aren't other people using the park etc. They are also extremely well trained BUT I know they are not perfect so I always have a back up plan in place (leads on me at all times, if I see other people/dogs coming I call my dogs over and put them on lead until they leave etc)

I would never have my dogs off lead in a childrens playground (only exception would be if they were sitting right next to me and I can grab the lead immediately if needed). Other things that annoy me/I would consider irresponsible dog ownership... Seeing me with my dogs off lead next to me in a park/oval/offleash dog beach and immediately thinking you can let your dog run up to mine and jump all over us. My dogs on lead healing next to me, your dog/s on lead pulling across the path/walking track etc trying to jump all over me and my dogs. Taking your dogs to kids parks, not controlling your off lead dog and one of my biggest pet hates taking your dogs to food markets. Ewwww

Thanks
    Reviews
    People have listed very valid reasons as to why they aren't comfortable around dogs who are not on leashes. If a woman isn't comfortable walking on her own because of potential human attacks, who am I to tell her she's wrong? Just as it's not wrong to feel uncomfortable around dogs. It's wrong to tell others what they should do. Nobody in here has mentioned that *others* are stupid for going to the park where dogs are present.

I'm not missing your point, I just disagree.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-09-2013),peanutmonkey  (29-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    The analogy is around the wrong way, anyway. People in this thread are asking that the potential threat be removed - i.e. simply that people put their dog on a leash as the law stipulates. Nobody has said that the people who could be potentially attacked by the dogs stop going to the park!!
    But the 'potential threat' is so small as to be nearly non-existent. You are asking dog owners to modify their behaviour based on someone else's irrational fear. (By the way I'm referring to pp who said that dogs should be on leash at all time, which is not required by law - not to the op situation where dogs are off leash in a playground)
    Last edited by Meg2; 29-08-2013 at 11:08.