+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD has a friend who is petrified of dogs! We have two very friendly medium sized dogs who don't jump up or anything and the sight of them had her too frightened to go outside. So I think it's really unfair to people who are genuinely afraid of dogs for their owners to just let them roam especially near a playground....

Ps I love dogs but I know not every does!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ok it seems general consensus is it's not on. I'm going to start dobbing people in.
    As PP have said I can't stand it when a stranger tells my kid it's ok to pat their dog. No, it's not. I work really hard to teach him to NEVER pat a dog we don't know.
    And when he was younger it would seriously annoy me when they threw balls for their dogs- toddlers love balls as much as dogs do, and that is a recipe for disaster.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-09-2013),Boobycino  (29-08-2013),heeeeerekittykitty  (29-08-2013),VicPark  (29-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dogs are unpredictable, regardless of breed, size or whether you know them or not. It can only take a dog to be startled for it to defend itself and possibly attack. You cannot trust any dog completely. It's common sense to be cautious.

This! I am a ex dog owner. Irresponsible dog owners give us all a bad name. Dogs off leads at schools and parks is not ok. But would I have said anything, probably not. Last weekend I was at the beach- some dog owners came down- they had big dogs, you know those black ones with tan chests.. rottweilers? Anyways, both dogs on leads and they went a few hundred metres down from me. All of a sudden there is 4 other dogs joining them - not on leads- leading to the owners yelling up at the car park. There was a family coming down with the dogs now starting on these dogs on leads. These people called there dogs back and decided to join me. 2 metres away if that. Gone was my relaxing day as there crazy pooches dashed around my boys, getting in there faces... I mean seriously? Myself and the other dog owners were the only 2 groups on kilometres of beach!!!! So we left. Giving them my best evils. As I looked down the beach the other group had walked there dogs another 800-1000m down the beach to let the off to have a run.

I am also very aware of what my children are doing around other peoples dogs, it can be very annoying as a dog owner for children to be up in your dogs face etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    When you've had a purebred fully grown male bull mastiff chase you, knock you over then put its jaws around your neck while its standing on your back, it's pretty easy to be afraid of dogs.

Op I wouldn't say anything to anyone personally but I agree they shouldn't be near a playground. Ib agreed with ringing a ranger.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    My story is almost identical to yours. I was also bitten by a Bull Mastiff, I was play fighting with the dogs owner by the swimming pool at a pool party and the dog charged for me (I am a tiny 5ft 1") it bowled me over and attacked my shoulder, that was about 10yrs ago and I still have the scars. I loved dogs before that incident but now any strange dogs approach me I get very anxious

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am an animal lover and have 2 cavaliers who are big sooks but I never ever ever let them near the playground if dd is having a play. I tie them to a nearby tree so they can still see us but I would never let them in the playground. I can't even tell you how many times I have had kids come up and ask to pat them but I still make sure I go back to the dogs so I am nearby incase I have to intervene. I have grown up with dogs, big and small and i would never assume just because they are small they couldn't hurt anyone. I thought I was overreacting with this but reading the responses I am doing the right thing! People need to be responsible for their pets!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Ok it seems general consensus is it's not on. I'm going to start dobbing people in.
    As PP have said I can't stand it when a stranger tells my kid it's ok to pat their dog. No, it's not. I work really hard to teach him to NEVER pat a dog we don't know.
    And when he was younger it would seriously annoy me when they threw balls for their dogs- toddlers love balls as much as dogs do, and that is a recipe for disaster.
    I would definitely start dobbing people in. I wouldn't let my dog off lead in our near a children's park.

I actually get really annoyed at people approaching my dog. We often take my fluffy lhasa apso down to a off lead dog Beach. Then she gets tied up in a special shady area outside the cafe where we have brekky. And nearly everyone. . including very small children stop to pat her. . mainly because she looks like a toy a I guess. This drives me crazy because it gets her excited and jumps around. It seems those of you on here who teach your kids to not approach strange dogs are in a minority. I have often though of putting a sign on my dog. .. don't touch!! She's never bitten or anything but what if she did? They would sue me or something even though they approached her without permission. Drives me crazy!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose Caboose View Post
    I get annoyed by parents with children in off leash areas.
    Must be sleep deprivation, but I read this as "I get annoyed at parents with their children off leash". I was about to go get the popcorn! bahaha

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Benji  (29-08-2013),dancingchipmunk  (29-08-2013),FearlessLeader  (29-08-2013),GrabbyCrabby  (29-08-2013),Moose Caboose  (29-08-2013),snugglebum  (29-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've got to admit when the Chihuahua down the road chased and growled and barked at us the other day we didn't feel too threatened I'm very much size-ist when it comes to dogs, and with good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    I hate when people say "it's ok he wouldn't hurt anyone" how do you know? Did he tell you? I'm terrified of dogs too . They scare the hell out of me!
    You know, just about every news story I have read where a young child has been killed by a dog the owner says "he never hurt a fly", "I didn't know he was capable of it". Any dog is capable of attacking - they aren't evil, it's just what they do. And often you will read that a child was attacked because the dog was trying to protect someone. This is why people need to be in charge of their dogs at all times, not the other way around like we often see with a big dog dragging their owner out for a walk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All this this talk about how dangerous dogs are reminds me of another current BH thread where an OP is being taken to task for assuming that women might be in danger from walking alone through a park at night. Most of the responses in that thread say that it is statistically very unlikely to be attacked in that situation and we shouldn't have to modify our behaviour based on this very low risk. Yet, here we are in another thread and everyone seems to be agreeing that all dogs are unpredictable and we should all be constantly vigilant because we could be attacked at any moment by these wild beasts.
    I just had a look at the stats for NSW. In 2011 there were just over 3000 attacks on humans. Yes this more than we'd like, but when you look closer you see that 53% of those attacks resulted in NO INJURY whatsoever (so not actually an attack at all). Another 25% resulted in minor injury that required no medical treatment. There was a grand total of 0 deaths.

Compare this with nearly 70,000 incidents of assault by humans in NSW and we start to get some perspective.

So really, I think people are overreacting about how dangerous dogs are. Considering how prevalent they are in our society, there are really very, very few issues with them and you are very unlikely to be hurt by one. You are statistically much more likely to be hurt by another human.
    Last edited by Meg2; 29-08-2013 at 10:26.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

angelini  (03-09-2013),millsmum  (03-09-2013),Moose Caboose  (29-08-2013),VicPark  (29-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It would be good if we could put rapists on leashes!

Nobody has said people shouldn't go to the park in case there is a dog present and that it's their own fault if a dog attacks, that's the main difference between the two threads. Not to mention, this is holding the dog accountable for attacks - not the person who is attacked.

I don't modify my behaviour in case there's a dog lurking.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (29-08-2013)