+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also get very frustrated by this. We have a dog and spend time at the dog park most days but I would never let her off lead at a kids playground with other kids around. In my experience people seem completely oblivious to the fact that its inappropriate though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    My BIL is a council ranger - in NSW its illegal for dogs to be less than 10 meters from a playground - leash or no leash - a ranger can fine the owner on the spot $220 so next time you are at the park call the local council and ask them to send a ranger ( they are always on call even Sundays )
    He has a ton of stories of dog attacks in parks , apparently the state government are in the process of doing new regulations as its becoming more common
    Oh wow - does that count when the footpath or walking path is less than ten metres from the playground and the dog is being walked along that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I hate it- for both the dog and children. Kids get excited by a dog and if they aren't accustomed to each other can lead to a dog biting. I wouldn't want this for either the child or the dog TBH. Nobody wants to see their kid bitten, nor should a perfectly good but startled dog be put down because it bit.
    This is exactly how I feel about it.

As a dog owner I don't want my dogs anywhere near excited and unknown children and as a mother I don't want my daughter near dogs she doesn't know and who don't know her.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Aanya  (12-09-2013),Atropos  (28-08-2013),wobbleyhorse  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally don't understand people who are scared of dogs. But I don't agree with dogs off leash everywhere, i think all dogs should be on a lead other than specified off leash areas. Dogs coming up to me or my kids doesn't bother me at all. I'm more bothered when random dogs approach my dogs the amount of time they have been almost attacked by other dogs is alarming. Too many people are inconsiderate dog owners and it does drive me insane!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arli View Post
    I personally don't understand people who are scared of dogs.
    When you've had a purebred fully grown male bull mastiff chase you, knock you over then put its jaws around your neck while its standing on your back, it's pretty easy to be afraid of dogs.

Op I wouldn't say anything to anyone personally but I agree they shouldn't be near a playground. Ib agreed with ringing a ranger.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-08-2013),LoveLivesHere  (28-08-2013),oozzle  (29-08-2013),RobinSparkles  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep it annoys me too. Actually dogs off a leash at all in a public place annoys me. It is worrying with kids too, not fair we have to watch the kids amongst roaming dogs. I just think dogs should be kept on a lead at all times out in public and for those that may not have a big enough area at home for their dogs to run around in hence their reason for having their dog off a lead in public, shouldn't have a dog or should get one suited to the space they have at home.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Oh wow - does that count when the footpath or walking path is less than ten metres from the playground and the dog is being walked along that?
    Ill ask him! In theory I suppose it would? He says a lot of dog bites he gets called out for the dogs are on leads as kids naturally will go up and try pat them ect or out of control dogs in the off lead area - he says even if its off lead you are supposed to have total control over your dog at all times

Busy-Bee is online now Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    OP it's one of my pet peeves. I'm always a bit weary of dogs so it really bugs the begeezes out of me when people don't have them on a lead, they are UNPREDICTABLE!! Even if the owner believes that their dog is 'harmless' how am I supposed to know that?? It also annoys me when people have dogs but not fences around their houses to contain the dogs so when you go for a walk in the local area a dog comes bounding out to 'greet' you. GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Years ago I went for a walk around local streets. I had my earphones on listening to music but I was aware of some noise behind me. I turned around to see this dog running towards me bearing it's teeth and barking/yapping furiously at me. It also had another dog right behind it. It's owner was talking the dog for a walk (obviously not on a lead) and yelled out to the dog in a 'can't really be arsed' tone "come here". I was really shaken. After that my Dad gave me a bit of hose to carry in my pocket in case I did get attacked by a dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have asked people to put their dog on the lead at a playground.

I'm in Perth and at every playground in my area there is a council sign saying all dogs must be on a lead.

Who cares if someone thinks you are a cranky old cow? Better some stranger thinks you are a cow than you never forgiving yourself for not saying something.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (28-08-2013),LoveLivesHere  (28-08-2013),VicPark  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Arli View Post
    I personally don't understand people who are scared of dogs. But I don't agree with dogs off leash everywhere, i think all dogs should be on a lead other than specified off leash areas. Dogs coming up to me or my kids doesn't bother me at all.
    your not serious right?

Dogs are unpredictable, regardless of breed, size or whether you know them or not. It can only take a dog to be startled for it to defend itself and possibly attack. My dad had his face ripped open by a German shepherd, it was his best friends dog dad had known for years, dad leant down to pat him, the dog got startled and attacked. I witnessed the attack and will never forget it!

We also have 3 dogs. All of which are well trained and loving to the boys but we would never leave the boys outside alone with them. You cannot trust any dog completely. It's common sense to be cautious.

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-08-2013),dancingchipmunk  (28-08-2013),FrothyFrog  (28-08-2013),heeeeerekittykitty  (28-08-2013),LoveLivesHere  (28-08-2013),lovelymum  (28-08-2013),NancyBlackett  (28-08-2013),oozzle  (29-08-2013),Patience Belmont  (28-08-2013),patsmum  (28-08-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-09-2013)