+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree totally. For this reason we never let our dog off the leash even though i trust she wouldnt do anything, u never know! Even in the middle of an oval or parkland and there is no one else around , we never take her off the lead because someone could walk around the corner at any moment, and i wouldnt want them to feel unsafe seeing a big dog off the leash... I dont think some dog owners realise not everyone likes dogs !

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to ask a guy to control his dog at the park a few weeks ago.

He was standing around chatting to his mate (had baby in sling) at a packed playground, we were down on the beach (just next to park) and his dog came down and was barking and jumping around my 2.5y/o who was obviously scared.

I had to pick him up and go tell the guy that dogs weren't allowed on beach/park and that it was barking and scaring my son.

He apologised and left quickly but I was so mad that I had to say anything in the first place. Esp with so many kids around

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Momkey View Post
    We were at our local playground the other day and an unleashed dog ran straight into the playground and took a cupcake straight from the lap of one of the kids! She came running up to grab the dog and laughed about it! I was so angry! It was the last cupcake and there wasn't another one to give the child that had lost theirs! People should keep their dogs away from kids playgrounds full stop!!!
    I'm sorry but that made me laugh too. What a smart dog.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharlee32 For This Useful Post:

Meg2  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a dog owner and I get very annoyed with other owners that don't control their dogs around playgrounds, open areas etc. Even in dog off lead areas owners need to be in control of their dog.

I know my dog would never do anything to harm someone but it is not always about the dogs behavior and I don't think other owners consider this. Kids may have had a scary experience in the past or are naturally cautious around dogs and I don't want to do anything to scare them any more. At the same time some kids will come up to your dog with best of intentions to pat and play but they don't know how the dog will react and unless you have control you can't do anything to stop the dogs behavior - whether it be to bark, growl or worse, nip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's a problem having dogs in the playground area but off leash I think should be a No No.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes we did have a bit of a chuckle but the child that lost their cupcake wasn't amused haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose Caboose View Post
    Locking dogs in a backyard 24 hours a day will only make them aggressive, and encourage them to jump their fences. Not properly exercising an animal or providing socialization amounts to animal cruelty.

too.
    um that may well be the case if you don't have sufficient room for your dog but in my case, we have 3 dogs that have access to a large open space, nearly half an acre in their own backyard, they have plenty of room to run, plenty of room to be active and none of them are aggressive. If we didn't have that space for them we wouldn't have them because that would be cruel!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    um that may well be the case if you don't have sufficient room for your dog but in my case, we have 3 dogs that have access to a large open space, nearly half an acre in their own backyard, they have plenty of room to run, plenty of room to be active and none of them are aggressive. If we didn't have that space for them we wouldn't have them because that would be cruel!
    So you think a majority of dog owners are cruel? Most dogs owners, across the world would not have what you have.

What shall we do with all the dogs that have loving, responsible owners but not the space you describe? Should they all be put to sleep?
    Last edited by Kirst33; 03-09-2013 at 10:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love going to the park and watching dogs--they're happiness is so genuine!

I've been a nanny for ten years, so I often frequent parks and playgrounds...it's pretty much my week. I would have a problem with somebody had their dog off a leash in a playground, or at least not asking me if I minded as sometimes I have kids that are scared of a dog no matter how lovable it is.

But I also try to teach the kids to not be frightened and how to behave around a dog or approach it (i.e. we don't just go running up to dogs as that can frighten them, we ask the owner if we can pet it or we let Kirst or whatever grown up approach it first, and we always let the dog smell our hand first--a great way to tell if a dog is interested in being pet or not).

We often sit on a park bench and watch dogs play--the kids love it and think they're hilarious! And I accept that it's my responsibility to know what the kids are doing and if they are approaching a dog they shouldn't.

In my experience dogs more often than not ignore kids, unless they are very social and friendly and love children, then they run up excitedly, which I also understand can be scary to a toddler and I handle the situation. I have had a bad experience with a couple dogs but that is the exception, not the rule.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    If you're going to be picky on size half an acre is not really that much. Especially for three dogs.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app