+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    If people don't have a big enough area at home for their dog they shouldn't have one!
    Seriously? Thank god you don't make the rule then hey. Oh and I live on over an acre however if I lived in a unit I would still have my dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The way I see it: dogs shouldn't be allowed to roam free in fenced-off kid's playground areas. That's not responsible pet ownership.

People who aren't cool with dogs roaming free shouldn't enter designated off-leash areas, and should make sure that if they do and have kids with them, they keep a very close eye on their children and let them know all about safe behaviours around strange animals.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (31-08-2013),Kirst33  (29-08-2013),LoveLivesHere  (29-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If people don't have a big enough area at home for their dog they shouldn't have one!
    Really? :what:
    When we lived in a unit, my miniature foxy used to go for a morning walk, an arvo play at the dog park and an evening walk. She probably got more attention and exercise than dogs that sit in the backyard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    The way I see it: dogs shouldn't be allowed to roam free in fenced-off kid's playground areas. That's not responsible pet ownership.

People who aren't cool with dogs roaming free shouldn't enter designated off-leash areas, and should make sure that if they do and have kids with them, they keep a very close eye on their children and let them know all about safe behaviours around strange animals.
    Hear hear!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dogs should not be off leashes anywhere is the bottom line. People have the right to be in public spaces, dogs belong on a leash or better still... In their own backyard.
    Locking dogs in a backyard 24 hours a day will only make them aggressive, and encourage them to jump their fences. Not properly exercising an animal or providing socialization amounts to animal cruelty.

The majority of well socialized and decently trained dogs with responsible dog owners will not attack children. Yes, children can be rough, dogs can become overprotective, and interactions between dogs and children should always be supervised. That's only logical.

There are also regulations about dog behavior in off leash areas - owners still have to be in control of their animal in off leash areas. But at the same time, parents should supervise their children too.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moose Caboose For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (03-09-2013),Kirst33  (29-08-2013),NancyBlackett  (29-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Arli View Post
    I personally don't understand people who are scared of dogs.
    I never understood this either, until our cat was taken by two pig dogs. I was there trying to fight them off and get him back off them, watched him die, and had to get him out of the bushes when they were done with him. I was covered in bruises from the dogs. Now I'm very skittish around big dogs, and don't really trust them. I don't even like to let our poodle, who's an inside pet out in the yard for toilet breaks by herself. Can't imagine how I'll be with a child.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dogs in playgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Two things saved me that day, it was a friends dads dog and she was with me (it pushed past her and got through the gate) so she was able to push him off so i could run inside. The only other thing was that he didnt feel like killing me. He just held onto my neck to assert dominance, not to hurt me. He was fully able to and in a position to kill me. Id known my friend for many many years, but had never once been near the dog as he was known to be aggressive and was always locked in his pen when people were over. I was only 10-11yo at the time.

Im terrified of other peoples dogs, even if they say "oh he is friendly" i dont believe them/care. My dogs are a different story though. I have big dogs and love them, but we've had them since they were little.

My kids are taught never to touch another dog, whether its a friends dog or a strangers dog, even if they say its ok. I teach them to walk away from a dog off a leash. So to have a dog near a playgroud would freak me out. Another thing that annoys me is people jogging with their dogs off a leash. I used to do exercise on an oval and would have the kids on a mat with me. A person would jog past and their dogs would come over, i used to run to my kids and freak out until the dog ran off. Our dogs are dog aggressive so we cant walk them on a leash anywhere in case another dog comes up to us. The owners always say "oh its ok he's friendly". Yeah your dog might be but my dog will eat it! Basic principle, leash your dogs!
    Imagine how your parents would have felt, hearing about that. Or your friends parents. Crazy.
    I grew up with blue heelers, and they were so docile and well trained with us but my parents never left us around the dogs unsupervised. We also had Maltese - but they were considered ok and "less dangerous" which I don't really agree with. I think any dog can cause enough damage given the opportunity, no matter how big or small and regardless of breed. I saying that, I also believe all dogs should not just be shut up in backyards because they "could attack". You need to have control over your animal when you have it in a public area. Our dog comes most places with us, cafes, parks, shops etc. I KNOW no matter where we go she'd never move more than 4-5 metres from my heels - even unleashed.
    We have control over her and she is well trained - however in public she is always leashed. There's nothing to gain by taking the risk. I'd never forgive myself if she snapped at a person or child.
    Last edited by #Mama; 29-08-2013 at 22:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by #Mama View Post
    I never understood this either, until our cat was taken by two pig dogs. I was there trying to fight them off and get him back off them, watched him die, and had to get him out of the bushes when they were done with him. I was covered in bruises from the dogs. Now I'm very skittish around big dogs, and don't really trust them. I don't even like to let our poodle, who's an inside pet out in the yard for toilet breaks by herself. Can't imagine how I'll be with a child.
    I HATE pig dogs. Bred for violence :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I can't believe I only just saw this thread. It was made for me! I haven't read all the other posts, but this is a pet hate (haha) of mine. We live near extensive parkland. There is a playground not far from an oval that is ok for off leash. But there are signs everywhere saying no dogs within 5m of walking path or playground. People let their dogs of the lead early (when on the walking path) all the time and they run straight through the play space! Grrrrr. Can they not see for a child of 50cm height, a large dog running up to them is terrifying! I hate that my dd has to feel unsafe in an area made for little ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were at our local playground the other day and an unleashed dog ran straight into the playground and took a cupcake straight from the lap of one of the kids! She came running up to grab the dog and laughed about it! I was so angry! It was the last cupcake and there wasn't another one to give the child that had lost theirs! People should keep their dogs away from kids playgrounds full stop!!!