+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Dogs in playgrounds.

Does anyone else get annoyed at people having dogs off leash in playgrounds? There is a dog park about 500m from our local playground, but the playground has a large mainly enclosed grassy area where people often have their dogs off leash. It really bugs me, as I don't think it's fair that I should have to keep my kids away from dogs in a playground. I feel like saying something to them, like 'did you know there's a dog park just up the road there?' But I would feel like a cranky old cow. Have also considered asking the council to put a big no dogs off leash sign in the park (I would even know who to talk to about it as I work for the council!)
    So this is mainly a vent but was just interested to know if it annoys other people, or if I need to chill out over this (i am usually extremely chilled out- I let my kids run around with no shoes in the park and let them play in sand pits)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (28-08-2013),siennasyummymummyxxx  (03-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It worries me more than annoys, but here it is illegal to have your Dog in a public area without a leash on, so it's not really a problem in the parks etc I frequent thankfully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All of the fenced kids playgrounds here have no dog signs, I would speak to the dept of council in control of parks as they have a duty of care to make sure it is safe for kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My baby was *this close* to being attacked by a dog not on a leash. I wouldn't feel comfortable. They'd never hurt anyone according to the owners, but IMO dogs and children don't belong together unless it's the family pet and people know the warning signs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Speak to council and request that they have their Animal Controllers/Rangers patrol. That used to be my job, we would frequently patrol areas on request. Not only is it an offence, it puts you as a parent in an uncomfortable position.

If there is a council provided dog park in your area, there is no reason why dog owners should be letting dogs offleash in a childrens play area.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (29-08-2013),LoveLivesHere  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    My baby was *this close* to being attacked by a dog not on a leash. I wouldn't feel comfortable. They'd never hurt anyone according to the owners, but IMO dogs and children don't belong together unless it's the family pet and people know the warning signs.
    All dog owners say thut UNTIL it's too late. A man actually said that to me while his dog(off leash)was in the process of attacking my dog (on leash) at our front gate. Now my poor dog is traumatised to go out of his yard he is always expecting this dog to come at him.

OP dogs probably aren't allowed off leash in the playground but you know what tell them to put them on a lead or go to the off leash dog park. How rude after all it is a playground for children to play in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My BIL is a council ranger - in NSW its illegal for dogs to be less than 10 meters from a playground - leash or no leash - a ranger can fine the owner on the spot $220 so next time you are at the park call the local council and ask them to send a ranger ( they are always on call even Sundays )
    He has a ton of stories of dog attacks in parks , apparently the state government are in the process of doing new regulations as its becoming more common

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a dog owner, and it still p!sses me off when people do that. Especially yappy little dogs that I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw them. My DS is used to dogs, and isn't old enough to understand that not all dogs want to be given a bear hug. I would definitely complain to your council.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yesterday i was out walking with my son and suddenly a dog emerged from a side road without the owner, it freaked me out as it ran straitly towards us. As it came close i quickly turned the pram around and was ready to run and scream, there were builders around a few houses away so i thought at least I can get help if something happens. I yelled at the dog to go away as he approached and i think it understood and ran away. But still i could not see the owner anywhere. It totally freaked me out and now i have a fear walking that street again.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I would be furious.

A man had a rottweiler off leash out front of my sons school a couple of months ago and it went for my 5 year old DS. Thank goodness the owner grabbed it in time but my son is now absolutely terrified of dogs.

I was bitten on the face by our dog when I was a teenager, he was the most placid calm dog. You can never ever be too careful.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app