+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All parents are entitled to 24 hrs a week of reduced price daycare, which equates to 2 days/week. If families are going to use extra days then they are paying for them and when you're buying a service, the entitlement is generally the same across the board. CC's do allocate places on the basis of 1) child is at risk, 2) child has single, working parent, and 3) all other children. I think it's fairly done

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    All parents are entitled to 24 hrs a week of reduced price daycare, which equates to 2 days/week. If families are going to use extra days then they are paying for them and when you're buying a service, the entitlement is generally the same across the board. CC's do allocate places on the basis of 1) child is at risk, 2) child has single, working parent, and 3) all other children. I think it's fairly done
    When you say 24 hours of reduced price daycare is that for non working parents?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    Childcare centres state they prioritise working parent applications over SAHM applications. But I wonder, do they really? Has anyones days ever been cut back, or attendance cancelled to make way for a working mother/ caregiver? I think child care should be for working/studying parents. fullstop. But I know I am in the minority with this opinion on this forum.
    Our centre does. I received a call about 2 years ago asking if I could change my days as a working parent needed those days. I did say no, but only because I was studying. I had told them but I guess it wasn't noted properly. I was the first parent asked and after me the next parent was able to.

I'm not longer studying so if it was to happen again, as long as I could keep consecutive days, I'd swap.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's sort of ironic people seem to think she made an unfair, snap judgement (which I agree she did) but then go on to criticise her decision. Hers seems to match with what she said, it sounds as though she works, so she is likely at work when her child goes to the father's house. That isn't a "break" (believe me!), so she uses one day of CC for her break.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

JustUs3  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Her son was in daycare all 3 days when she was at home. Those 3 days were the only days she had him at the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shellandliv84 View Post
    Her son was in daycare all 3 days when she was at home. Those 3 days were the only days she had him at the time
    So when did she work?

I don't know how she survived on a part-time wage, with shared custody (which means no assistance from the govt). I think her story is a little far fetched.

I don't judge SAHMs who need child care for 3 days or more, and I don't judge her. I think it's a little odd to say her judgement was unfair, but then go on to say what she did was wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep she sure has contradicted herself.

i agree that SAHM should only have limited daycare, I think it's ok to have your child in for a day or so if your a SAHM but no more than that. After all you are at home to look after your children. When I had ds2 and was a SAHM I withdrew ds1 from daycare apart from 1 day as I felt it important he stay connected to his friends whom he would be going to kindy with the following year but I also felt a tad gulity about this and offered his day to another who needed it. With ds2 I only have him at daycare the days I work. I would never simply utilise a position simply because I need 'me' time. Many working mums miss out on daycare positions due to them being filled with children who could be at home with their mothers who don't work which I think is unfair. And although the centres have priority lists there is no way to man this really. I know of a few parents who have their children at ds's daycare full time and they do not work but obviously they say they do but it's not policed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shellandliv84 View Post
    When you say 24 hours of reduced price daycare is that for non working parents?
    Yes, all parents, working or otherwise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    Yes, all parents, working or otherwise
    Provided they meet the income test.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Unless you're working over a certain amount of hours ( or meet other special criteria) you can't get the rebate... Or child care benefit past 24 hours of care per week (which for most centres is 2 days).

What other people do with their kids in regards to daycare is up to them. I personally think that it's probably better a kid spends all his time in daycare than with a mother who doesn't want him around.