+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Childcare what do you think?

I was talking to a mum at daycare drop off today and she said a few things that I'm not sure I agree with, to be honest I had never really thought about them as neither circumstances have ever been relevant to me so I thought I'd ask what other peoples opinions are. First she said that SAHM shouldn't put their children in childcare more then 3 days a week. The whole point of staying at home with your children is to spend time with them, not let someone else look after them 4 or 5 days a week, you may as well be working. The second thing she said was when she was a working part time she shared custody of her son and still put her child into daycare the days she had him as she needed "me time" Now personally if I only had my child 3 days a week I would want to spend those 3 days with him, but each to their own. Her points were totally contradicting each other surely?
    Last edited by Patience Belmont; 28-08-2013 at 14:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's funny she needs me time when she's kid free a few days a week as ex dp has her child. But I'm not a single parent & am not even going to begin to speculate on the dynamics of how hard / easy or different that would be compared to my life as I have no clue what it's like.

The sahm child care debate. Yes, well I have no problems with it if you put your kids there while you stay home. I would very much like to think that Those placements go to working mothers first though, given our child care shortage in most cities. My son goes to kindy 5 day fortnight & starts prep next year I stay home & do dh book work or housework or whatever. My daughter is in prep & I pick up & drop off at the same time for each of them & really there's not many hours in the day in between. I'm due with number 3 in November so my days are about to fill up again pretty quickly. This baby will most likely attend child care full time from about 18 months as I'm keen to work again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, she contradicted herself IMO.

I am neither a SAHM or a separated Mum so I don't have personal experience of either of those circumstances. I get jealous when I hear of people having a day or two to themselves a week (the luxury!!!!) and obviously it is a problem if parents who need to work cannot access child care places.

But examining other people's choices when they have no bearing on ourselves, nor are harmful to anyone else is a fruitless exercise because at the end of the day you never really know what is going on in their lives.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (28-08-2013),Patience Belmont  (28-08-2013)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Childcare centres state they prioritise working parent applications over SAHM applications. But I wonder, do they really? Has anyones days ever been cut back, or attendance cancelled to make way for a working mother/ caregiver? I think child care should be for working/studying parents. fullstop. But I know I am in the minority with this opinion on this forum.
    Last edited by threechooks; 28-08-2013 at 09:13. Reason: add study

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely agree, I just thought it was funny that both things she said totally contradicted each other. As I said each to their own, I have been in both positions of being partnered and single and did what I had to do for me and my daughters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    Childcare centres state they prioritise working parent applications over SAHM applications. But I wonder, do they really? Has anyones days ever been cut back, or attendance cancelled to make way for a working mother/ caregiver? I think child care should be for working parents. fullstop. But I know I am in the minority with this opinion on this forum.
    I use Family Day Care and when I returned to work from maternity leave with my second child, my carer moved the days around of the kids of parents who were not working so my kids could both get the days I needed to go to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Childcare centres state they prioritise working parent applications over SAHM applications. But I wonder, do they really? Has anyones days ever been cut back, or attendance cancelled to make way for a working mother/ caregiver? I think child care should be for working/studying parents. fullstop. But I know I am in the minority with this opinion on this forum.
    I think that maybe there should be a limit as to how many days? Personally I think 5 days a week is a bit excessive but hey if they can afford it. I don't really understand how non working mums can afford daycare, we pay $350 a week for 4 days (including afterschool care) and that's with me working full time

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in Queensland & they seem to really be pushing the kindergarten program which ds attends ads on tv posters everywhere at the centre. It's a 5 day fortnight in a daycare centre & some places they have just a kindergarten. Ds is in the preschool room at our centre. I have no idea if a full time mum needs the place or not. It would seem a contradiction to me to offer & plug a kinder program on these terms if spaces were needed for full time working parents. It's not compulsory yet, for ds to attend but they are promoting it as early learning & giving kids a head start for prep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Childcare centres state they prioritise working parent applications over SAHM applications. But I wonder, do they really? Has anyones days ever been cut back, or attendance cancelled to make way for a working mother/ caregiver?.
    Unfortunately the ones I am on lists for do not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shellandliv84 View Post
    I think that maybe there should be a limit as to how many days? Personally I think 5 days a week is a bit excessive but hey if they can afford it. I don't really understand how non working mums can afford daycare, we pay $350 a week for 4 days (including afterschool care) and that's with me working full time
    I know! Child care is a massive drain on our budget, I would gladly see the back of it if we did not have to use it.