+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Child's first car

Will you buy hour child their first car? Or contribute? Or will they have to buy their own.

We will pay for most of their first cars but they will need to contribute a decent amount, 5 kids but at least there is a four year gap between the first two. Ds1 works in my business and is 13.5 so we are encouraging him to start saving this year.

I'm brainwashing ds1 and its working, he is keen on a kombi or an old mustang, my two faves! Yay, haha. I love kombis and I can just see him going to he beach in it. It's more realistic price wise than a mustang plus you can't hoon in a kombi! (Plus he will get lots of practice fixing it hahaha.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Good job on the brain washing. Yes, I probably will buy DS his first car but it wont be a new one. It'll be an old car- that way, it CAN'T go fast (without it falling apart! ), he'll learn what it's like for a car to cost money and he'll appreciate it when he does buy his own "new" car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I won't outright buy my daughter a car but I might help, maybe match whatever she saves. That way, hubby and I can have a bit of a say in what she buys lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Hubby and I were discussing this the other day..given our kids are only very young so will have plenty of time to decide!

I am partial to letting them save and buy their own car (as that's what I had to do) but hubby thinks that if they save a good chunk then we should contribute to their car fund too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have decided to save money in acc for a car. They will be buying a car to value of X amount of money or we will match whatever they save P.S df thinks she should have a smart car LOL

Idammed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We will purchase their first cars. My parents gave my siblings and I $20000 around our 18th birthdays to buy our first cars. My younger sister is buying hers right now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We bought a little cheap car for $2500 for my DD1 to learn to drive in and do her 100 hours in to qualify for her licence. I didn't expect her to contribute because she was still in grade 12 (we are in Qld) and then when she got her P's she kept the car, until she got a loan and bought a car herself. She then gave us back the little cheap car, which we still have and my husband drives to work!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We will contribute something.

With me, my grandparents gave me their runabout and I thrashed it while I was on my Ps and then dp and I bought our lovely new (but not new) car together.

With dp, her parents matched what they paid. Dp didn't get a car, but her sister saved $5k and they chipped in 5k so she bought a decent car herself.

We will do one or the other!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm a firm believer in matching whatever they saved.
    DH and I both bought our own first cars with no help.

But if our kids save for example 2k we will match it with 2k and they have 4k to buy one with

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

monnie24  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think I will contribute. I'd rather my kids be in a newer, safer car rather than some old $500 bomb because that's all they could afford.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app