+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Balance bikes?

Has anybody bought their child a balance bike? Ae they any good? Thinking of getting my DD2 one for Xmas

Thanks
    Reviews
    We bought DD one for her 2nd birthday and she has great fun with it (not as good as some kids I've seen on it but goes pretty good). She is 4 soon and has just started asking for a bike with peddles but still loves hooning around on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds is 6 and still using training wheels. I watch him and realise that pedalling is easy, but balancing is not. It's the balance that makes bike riding easy. That's what the bike shop owner said when I talked to him about bikes & training wheels. Unfortunately by that stage my ds was 5 and very tall, far too tall for a balance bike (although the bike shop owner suggested taking the pedals off his normal bike completely ... must admit I never tried it).

I plan to buy a balance bike for my dd for Christmas when she'll be 2 & a bit. I watched a little boy at the park the other day on his balance bike. He was having a great time and doing so well on it (he was about 3). Definitely worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I think we will get one then. DD1 is 5 and uses training wheels and I can't see her letting us take them off anytime soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We got a balance bike for my DS 2nd bday ( acouple months ago)- he took too it straight away and loves it, riding every day to school and back about 1.4km round trip. He is a pretty co-ordinated kid though, and his brother came off training wheels at 3 - I think he will follow with that too. My nephew however never used his balance bike, and still cant ride a bike at 7, even with trainer wheels. So I think it depends on each child...