Closed Thread
Page 60 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waitinghoping View Post
    MCB - honestly I got very little from the breastfeeding session last time. Its so different learning on a doll to trying to feed a real live baby. I actually got more from watching YouTube videos of people demonstrating feeding real babies. Im not expecting to get much out of it this time, just got some questions I want to ask the LC that are specific to my situation as I had terrible feeding issues with DD that Im trying to prevent this time so want to put strategies in place early on while in hospital too to try to prevent issues again. Im not saying that people shouldnt go to them, I just feel that trying to "remember it all" just puts too much pressure on yourself now (I speak from experience here cos its what I tried to do last time...). I remember being shocked at just how simple it seemed in the class - boob out, position, baby to open mouth, bring baby to breast...... yet the reality in the early days it was like trying to wrestle with a crocodile. Arms and legs going everywhere (and not just DDs!!) screaming, wriggling, mouth snapping baby.... arrrghhh such a contrast!

My suggestions for 1st time Mums (feel free to ignore, but its things I wish I had known before DD):
    - Relax, get what info you can to be informed now rather than going in blind but dont expect to have all the answers. I found that once I had a real baby, the sleep deprivation and overwhelming hormones caused me to forget everything I had learnt in class anyway!!!!
    - expect to hit speed bumps along the way because no matter how natural breastfeeding is, it doesnt always come naturally to mums and babies!!! It is a learnt skill! (and not all babies can b/feed despite what people say).
    - Every baby is different, what works for one doesnt work for another
    - HARRASS the midwives or see if you can see a LC when you are in hospy once you have had bubs. Help with positioning will probably benefit you much more then with a real live baby.
    - Enjoy it, dont stress over times, how much they are feeding etc etc. If baby has wet nappies, is gaining weight and is content, then you are doing a great job.

Im sure you will be fine
    Great advice waiting. I didn't need to harass the midwives, they were just there trying to help. It was great for the first couple of days, but by day 5 and different midwives everyday, with different advice, it to a bit much.

The thing I learnt is that just because she's been fed, doesn't mean she's not hungry. For the first few weeks she screamed heaps because I just assumed she was fed, so must have wind. The health nurse then told me that if after an hour, she's still not settled, feed her again. We now do this, she feeds hourly from 3:00pm til around 11:00pm and then sleeps 7-8 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I was ill informed about the "fed doesnt always mean they are full" thing too. The middies I had at the hospital wanted DD on 4 hourly feeds (which even then I had to wake her for) and she was jaundiced so of course all she wanted to do was sleep... never ever crossed my mind to feed her more, they were the experts!!! Could have helped prevent a lot of the issues we had.

This baby is going to get a boob shoved in its mouth whether it wants it or not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great advice Waiting!! Nothing could have prepared me for the challenges of breastfeeding and it didn't come naturally at all. But we're almost at the 12wk mark of exclusively breastfeeding together thanks to a lactation consultant, perseverance and sheer determination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with all of waiting's advice!
    I thought babies knew what to do, so if she didn't latch or it hurt, I blamed myself for not doing it right. The MW's would tell me it was her and I was doing well!
    Being that I have quite big boobs, my biggest frustration is that I can't see if she has latched properly - so now I go by feel.
    I also agree with Smurfy - the midwives are fabulous BUT I was so sick and tired of the different advice and different ways to latch! Even at the community centre I had 2 ladies tell me different things in front of each! The older lady told me to stop 'helping' Chelsea by putting the nipple and aerola in her mouth - the other, younger lady told me it was fine.
    Talking to a friend of mine who also has large breasts said that we need to help bubs as the area is so big and they only have tiny mouths!
    Also play with different positions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I forgot to say I had my first baby dream this pregnancy.. Dreamt I gave birth to a baby boy at home.. Don't think the home thing will happen! I remember dreaming about baby boys when I was utd with DD so who knows...

On the not so exciting news I'm brewing a chest infection. My chest hurts already from the coughing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waitinghoping View Post
    Oh I forgot to say I had my first baby dream this pregnancy.. Dreamt I gave birth to a baby boy at home.. Don't think the home thing will happen! I remember dreaming about baby boys when I was utd with DD so who knows...

On the not so exciting news I'm brewing a chest infection. My chest hurts already from the coughing
    Let the baby dreams begin I always dream girl and they say u have the opposite, hope ur chest infection goes away

Wow I had no idea there was such a technique to breast feeding, I hadn't given it much thought. Just thought it would b relatively easy lol, so naive

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no. Bad baby dream here last night. Stupid stressing about NT scan on Monday!!! Grrr!!

Angel Baby ~Skye~ 21/11/2012

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the thing that surprised me the most about BF was the amount of b00b that went into their mouth for them to be able to latch and drink correctly.

I called a midwife in a few times with our first to make sure the latch was right as I knew that it was important, but I found out later that the latch wasn't sufficient and the middies were just in a rush. Once at home the visiting midwife instructed me to take two days off BF (pumping though) so that my n1pp1es could heal (lansinoh just wasn't cutting it!) and she also had the time to show me proper technique. DS was a super feeder and after being helped to attach for about 3 weeks was able then properly latch himself after that which in turn made it super easy to feed him when out without flashing everyone! It was just a shame that I naturally don't produce enough milk.

We tried everything and saw the LC on several occasions but still had to comp with formula. I remember at a week old he was *screaming* he was so hungry and dehydrated, I never dreamt that I would have insufficient milk supply as my mum never had problems. DH went out straight away and pinched some formula off some friends for the night. DS was such a guzzler though that he had wind problems for the first 3 months! (even with special bottles, teats, wind mixture helped to an extent). Still has a good appetite

Edit: Just saw your post munchkin. Big hugs, try and distract yourself in the meantime. Praying all will be well.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 21-09-2013 at 08:58.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

MichelleClareBear  (21-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks LT!!! My dreams don't often come true so here's hoping this one is the same!!!

Angel Baby ~Skye~ 21/11/2012

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Your scans the 5th isn't it munchkin? Three of us are having scans then

Here's a bump comparison shot from me. I think he had a growth spurt this week!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1379718898.913338.jpg