+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You're not actually disagreeing with me as I agree with most of what you have said?

My main point is that during the day, while a parent is home, they generally have time to do SOME domestic chores and they should do so. I don't buy that a parent spends all their time doing activities with their kids.

This also depends on the number of kids, whether you study, volunteer, etc all of which limit our time in the day and of course then time to spend on domestic stuff gets limited accordingly.

I was just saying that for me personally I wouldn't watch TV during the day, and then hand my DH a mop when he gets in from work, just to ensure he does his fair share. I'd rather so it myself so we can chill together in the evening.

Having said that, we have a cleaner and my house is not exactly spotless. I certainly don't clean every one of my days off work. And my DH is excellent at cleaning and tidying and I'm sure he does actually do 50% in the end.

About the work thing, there is NO way anyone can say that being at work is easier than home and vice versa. It totally depends on your situation at home (# of kids, whether you enjoy being a SAHM, social life) as well as the type of job you have. For me although I love my job, it is quite stressful and demanding and my two days off a week (soon to be one) are a walk in the park in comparison. BUT I found being home full-time unbearable so it works for me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (29-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    [QUOTE=BornToBe;

The problem is that myth that caring for children and running a household is easier than working outside the home. That is malarkey. Absolute codswallop. I've done both, and paid work is so, so, so much easier, more satisfying and more respected.[/QUOTE]

Id have to say that would depend on your job and your kids and your DH - I've done both and staying at home is a holiday compared to the stress of having to worry about clients and sales and targets and staff and working long hours - being able to stay in my home, see friends, take DS to his activities and parks I find easy! And again I only have 1 child and I get plenty of alone/free time and housework really is dull but easy and I'd rather do that , at my leisure, than go to work!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

kw123  (28-08-2013),Patience Belmont  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I take care of food and clothes and we share the other cleaning.
    We had guests coming over on the weekend- I cooked and cleaned the bathrooms/toilets and did a general tidy. DH did the grocery shopping, mowed and tidied up outside and did all the floors (swept, steam mopped and vacuumed)
    He used to always do the kitchen clean after dinner, but I try and clean as I cook so it's just a few dishes to be stacked in the dishwasher afterwards. I do this while he baths the kids and then we dress/ put one in bed each, spend some time reading etc with DD1 before she goes to bed and then get to relax and enjoy each others' company.
    We've pretty much got the routine on autopilot now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithUnagi View Post
    But how can financial contribution not come into it?
    Stay at home parenting is a financial decision, too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Id have to say that would depend on your job and your kids and your DH - I've done both and staying at home is a holiday compared to the stress of having to worry about clients and sales and targets and staff and working long hours - being able to stay in my home, see friends, take DS to his activities and parks I find easy! And again I only have 1 child and I get plenty of alone/free time and housework really is dull but easy and I'd rather do that , at my leisure, than go to work!
    I agree, I have sometimes a really stressful job that doesn't end at 5. I have 2 children and a SS that lives at home and Staying at home would be a million times easier than my job.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience Belmont For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (29-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd have to say I found working outside of the household much harder...but that's because I didn't have someone at home watching the child. If I had a stay at home parent at home to do the school runs etc it would have been much easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow thanks everyone for replying! I didn't think it would become such a passionate issue :-) its been really good to read everyones differing opinions and what happens in your household. I think I made poor dh come across as lazy but now I see its very common to have to 'tell' dh what needs to be done. We had a discussion after I read most of the feedback and I didn't go into attack mode for once. I realized that when he leaves for work 60 hrs a week I would always say he has it easy but he doesn't, he has to work and when I get a lil free time I can get on bh in saying that, I still think that being a mum is a 24 hr job and no woman should live in the 50s era expected to be a perfect wife who has the house immaculate for when her husband gets home (unless u choose to do this and it works for both parties) I also think it depends on the babies as to weather they sleep well and are relatively easy los and how many u have to care for. I know in my circumstance we have only just figured out dd routine so she sleeps more now than before and it means I do get time for a shower, brekkie and bh though before I had to rush around like a mad woman just to get stuff done in between her 40 min naps!! I won't be handing dh a list of housework as soon as he gets in from work or resent him now as I would rather he spends time with our dd when he can and not miss out. Thanks again all

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olismumma For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-08-2013),Gothel  (28-08-2013),kw123  (28-08-2013),Patience Belmont  (28-08-2013)