+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default DS getting sick everytime he goes to day care! I don't know what else to do...

My son is 15mths old and has been in full time day care since march when I went back to work full time.

The last 3 months, he has been sick all the time, one thing after another - Just in the last 2 weeks, he's had ear infections, 2x chest infections, conjunctivitis, and continuous 40 degree temps, admitted to hospital with vomiting, diarrhea, and he was on 3 different lots of antibiotics and then had a reaction to one of them so they have now been stopped...but now he's snotty, coughing and just plain miserable etc... and he's hardly eating anything...

I need some opinions - If I keep him at home this week, put him back on formula for extra nutrients and vitamins (he's been on cows milk now for about 2mths), start him on an immune booster supplement, take him out in the sun for some warm, fresh air and sunlight, and do a big house clean to germ free my house, do you think that's enough....

He went to daycare yesterday and they said he was miserable and snotty and just crying most of the day, which is not like him at all!! I don't want to send him back to daycare today with him not being 100% just for him to pick up something else... I think I need to boost his immunity before he returns from all the sickness he's had otherwise it's going to be a vicious cycle.

Do you think it's enough? Or is there any point? I know some kids are just generally sick and pick up anything... however, my other son (who is 12) has never been sick a day in his life... not once ever! so to have this poor little man who is catching everything is really heartbreaking for me! is it just the daycare? do you think different day cares are different?

I just need to do something because between me, DH and MIL we're all having so much time off work with him, I don't know what else to do...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Take him out of the childcare centre and put him in family day care. Less kids = less likely to catch stuff.

I personally don't think there's much you can do to 'boost' immune systems in otherwise healthy children. The issue is simply that at childcare he is catching the bugs that the other children are bringing to the centre. I would also be questioning the policy of the centre in sending home sick children as I suspect they aren't very hard line on that and as a result your ds is getting the bugs that the others bring.

I am one of those people that catch lots of bugs & it sucks. My ds is unfortunately the same. He missed 5 weeks of the 11 weeks of term 2 this year (he's in Prep) due to various illnesses. BUT, he's only missed 1 week of the 7 weeks of term 3 so far. So he goes through bad patches then comes out the other side.

I hope your little one gets better soon and stays well for as long as possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I dont think making your house germ free will help as germs can be good to boost immunity. My DS who is 6 was always sick at daycare so i would have a fair amount of time off work. These days the only time he misses school is when i have day off work and believe a mental health day would be good for him. He rarely gets sick and has the odd cold in winter.

My son also went to a daycare centre. His second centre was rather small compared to his first and he was never sick there.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I second family day care. My kids have had the odd cold since being at family day care, that is it. They both started at 11 months old, DS is now 3 and DD is 18 months.

Maybe a probiotic might help too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try inner health plus for kids, it seems to help 2yo DD.

Also, I was told that most kids get up to 20 bugs/colds/infections in their first year of social contact - that's like every 2-3 weeks!! DD got quite a few things when she first started daycare but it's not so bad now.

I would keep your bub home until he's completely over his cold or flu and has had a chance to build up his energy again. If he's going to daycare while still recovering from one thing he'll probably be more susceptible to catching another.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Try inner health plus for kids, it seems to help 2yo DD.

Also, I was told that most kids get up to 20 bugs/colds/infections in their first year of social contact - that's like every 2-3 weeks!! DD got quite a few things when she first started daycare but it's not so bad now.

I would keep your bub home until he's completely over his cold or flu and has had a chance to build up his energy again. If he's going to daycare while still recovering from one thing he'll probably be more susceptible to catching another.
    I've got the immune booster for kids, which is the same brand as the inner health plus. I can only hope that it will help a little. The poor little guy is just miserable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I also recommend a pro biotic ( especially if he has been on anti biotics) plus fish oil (vitamin D)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    I've got the immune booster for kids, which is the same brand as the inner health plus. I can only hope that it will help a little. The poor little guy is just miserable!
    It's awful isn't it. I hope he feels better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really feel for you. I had the same issue when my DS started in daycare back in March at 9 months old. He had never been sick a day in his life and then it was one thing after another. We have no family here so had to take time off between DH and I, and I had just started a new job! Nightmare.

I wouldn't use FDC so almost resorted to a nanny for a few months, which would basically mean I was working for nothing. Fortunately he just stopped getting sick as much and he only gets the occasional thing now. Took about three months though.

I second using a probiotic, zinc and fish oil. DS also has a drop of oregano oil each day which is an anti-viral.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Dd tends to go six months catching everything then she's right for six months then all the new bugs come out. It sux and I feel your pain. Sorry no advice just hugs for you and bubs