+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thought the gel would work first go, but no. Tuesday night first round of gel. Wednesday morning,cervix closed and 2cm long so more gel. 2pm Wednesday afternoon they stretched me out to 1.5cm so broke waters and started syntocin drip. Bub born at 1.15 Thursday morning

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I had the gel at 5pm and she was born at 11am. The 2nd quickest of my 6 bubs and the easiest pain wise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my DD I was induced with cervadil (a tampon-like thing) which sent me straight into labour. that was about 5pm, waters broke naturally around 1am and DD born 4:50am. With DS I was induced with a balloon catheter which opens up the cervix. That was done at 8:30pm, I had contractions until 2am then it all stopped. I got a couple of hours sleep then had my waters broken manually at 10:30am with the sintocin drip put in then aswell. DS was born less than 4 hours later.
    Even with induction everyone is different with timings and how labour progresses so try not guess how long it will all work out for you coz you just never know! One thing to prepare for is that you will be in hospital from the very early contractions and not at home where you might be more comfortable. Try and bring things along (pillow, ipod, etc) to make you more relaxed in the hospital environment. I also had to be monitored (around the belly then 1 on bubs head) and and IV in so these things can make it a little more clinical I guess and not as relaxing thru the early parts. Just something to prepare for but either way try and relax about it all! best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the gel the night before about 7pm I think. I was taken down & had my waters broken at 7:30am & ds was born at midday. I was induced due to gestational diabetes at 38 weeks. It was very full on from the time they broke my waters to the time he was born, very quick & painful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with DS. Waters broken, then when nothing happened I was put on the drip. It happened very quickly then. I wouldn't hesitate if I needed to be induced again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was very nervous about the experience but your stories have made my fear disappear thank you again.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    When was your baby due?

Although many women have good experiences in induction many more do not. Induction with syntocin is usually hard and fast with no build up of contractions like spontaneous labour.

With DS I had lots of gel but nothing happened so I was given syntocin. He was born at 42+2, completely healthy and no signs of being 'overcooked'. I don't mean to scare you but has your OB/MW discussed the risks of induction with you? First time mothers have something like a 30% chance of induction ending in emergency CS and roughly a 30% chance of ending in assisted delivery (ie vacuum or forcep delivery). (DS was vacuum delivery.) This can be quite traumatic for you and the baby and can increase the chances of significant tearing (I had a 3rd degree tear).

If you have the gel and then ARM you are then on the clock and if neither of those 2 interventions start labour or if labour stalls at any point you will be given syntocin via an IV drip. Knowing what I know now about inductions I would want to put off induction for as long as possible and offer to be monitored daily if needed. The pain was intense and I was crying for an epi within the first hour. Having an epi brings first risks but will also mean you are bound a bed for labour and most likely continually monitored. You would also most likely birth on your back which again brings further risks including increasing the risk of tearing. Having experienced both induced birth and spontaneous birth I would do everything in my power to avoid an induction (which I did with DD as she was also 'late').

My suggestion would be ask for alternatives to gell/arm etc if you would prefer to have a more natural birth and more likelihood of a positive birth experience.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (05-05-2014),Bubbles10  (27-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolute nightmare!

Gel 7pm wed night, waters broke spontaneously thurs morning 4am and contractions started. Bub born fri morning 1am. I'm still emotionally scarred by that birth and never will I be induced again.

If you are a first time mum being induced and you aren't completely overdue ie 42wks+ you are ++++ likely to end up with a cs.

Just letting you know.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the other side of the coin, I am now overdue and hospital / OBY doesn't like mums over 10 days, ( still my decision if I want to) . 10days would be up Monday anyway so we are going for it Friday due to the weekend,
    I am aware of the risks, and my OBY has discussed them with us. We are also aware of the possible risks associated with just letting nature take her course. Physically I'm find to continue on however emotionally I don't think that I can continue. I'm ready to meet her and so much in love I just want to hold her in my arms and know she's ok.

One thing that was pointed out is that part of the reason there is a higher C section rate / intervention is because bub simply didn't want / wasn't going to come out naturally in the first place and that it was likely to end up a c section anyway.
    I am still hoping that bub will come in the next few days. Accupunture today, still on raspberry leaf tea, evening primrose oil, walking and dtd however if all else fails we have the plan b

Thanks
    Reviews
    with my DS , 18 years ago mind you, my waters broke at home at 9pm, went to hospital, 1 cm dialated..walked around alot through the night to help get things moving, 7am checked and 2cm, had a drip put in to help speed things up, he was born at 5 45pm that night....everyone is different

best of luck and congratulations