+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think 'uncommon' is being used to say it is uncommon that sexual attacks are made by strangers. Not that attacks by strangers are low in number or frequency.

Just that for every attack by a stranger another 9 have been made on a woman by someone she knows.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (27-08-2013),Benji  (27-08-2013),Jontu  (27-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So just because its "uncommon" people shouldn't think about it? To say its unlikely to happen might be true but remember that it still DOES happen!

I don't think people should change their lifestyle due to fear of being attacked but should be aware of their surroundings. Take precautions maybe walk with a friend, take your dog or take your mobile. This is the advice I would give my daughter.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MeeG For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (27-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeeG View Post
    So just because its "uncommon" people shouldn't think about it? To say its unlikely to happen might be true but remember that it still DOES happen!

I don't think people should change their lifestyle due to fear of being attacked but should be aware of their surroundings. Take precautions maybe walk with a friend, take your dog or take your mobile. This is the advice I would give my daughter.
    No one is saying dont be careful or be aware of your surroundings.

If your daughter walked without a friend or her dog or her mobile would that mean she was partially responsible for her sexual assault? Of course not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What would you tell your son MeeG? Because he theoretically is more likely to be attacked by another male.

I'm always cautious. But I use my *own* initiative as to what is safe and what is unsafe. Personally, I wouldn't appreciate at all a friend telling me what she thinks is best for me - as a grown woman - and getting upset if I wanted otherwise.

I'm certain that men don't tell each other not to go to parks any more, or if a strange person said something sexual to them to not go back there ever. It's not logical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    No one is saying dont be careful or be aware of your surroundings.

If your daughter walked without a friend or her dog or her mobile would that mean she was partially responsible for her sexual assault? Of course not.
    That's not my point at All, my point is just cause its less common doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I in know way said anyone is responsible for being sexual assaulted and just said be aware of your surroundings because they do happen.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeeG For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (27-08-2013),SAgirl  (27-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a son, I was relating this to my daughter as this is advice I would give her. I never said boys shouldn't also be cautious so settle down!

All I'm trying to say just cause its not likely to happen doesn't mean it won't. My friends are old enough to make their own choices and so am I. I walk my dog in a park by myself through the day and even at night. I always take my phone cause it is in the back of my mind that bad things can happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MeeG View Post
    That's not my point at All, my point is just cause its less common doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I in know way said anyone is responsible for being sexual assaulted and just said be aware of your surroundings because they do happen.
    But no one has said it doesn't happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How am I unsettled?

Not one person in here has mentioned what men can do to protect their own safety. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard it - and yet they are more likely to be attacked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think this post is going a bit to far. I just thought It was strange how everyone was bringing up statistics about how it's less uncommon for strangers to attack, all I wanted to say was be cautious that it does happen and to be aware. I didn't say lecture people on how to live their life or change their lifestyle and I certainly didn't say men don't need to be cautious as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the problem is the "advice" that the OP was giving her friend was unsolicited and obviously the friend did not want to take it, which is up to her. This isn't stupid as the OP puts it. Her friend is a grown woman. If a friend was doing something that made me nervous of course I would say something, but if she disagreed this doesn't make her stupid..it's her life.

It's just the same as the car doors locked vs unlocked argument that stemmed here a while back. Some feel safer with the doors locked, some feel safer with it unlocked. Neither is wrong. We do what is right for ourselves, it's when people become intrusive because the other won't do what they want when it becomes an issue.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (27-08-2013),Atropos  (27-08-2013),LoveLivesHere  (27-08-2013),Mathermy  (27-08-2013),NancyBlackett  (27-08-2013)