+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Untreated Hip Displacia (in adults)

Is there anyone else out there on the Hub who has this?

Growing up I always knew I was born with a problem with my hips, mum often just referred to it as 'clicky hips, nothing to worry about there fine now'. As a baby I wore double nappies and my shoes on opposite feet to correct it.

I never had any further treatment.

Until about 3 months ago when after seeing a myotherapist I was unable to walk, after numerous ultrasounds, X-rays and now seeing an osteopath it's been discovered my hips where never corrected properly, the double nappies pulled them up, but not in, leaving huge gaps and subsequently allowing spurs to form on both hips.

I live in agony, unable to stand, sit or lay in the same spit for more than 20 minutes without it causing pain, I can't pick anything up off the floor, stairs are agony and as for walking any where, forget it!

I'm over it, I've been drugged off my head the past 3 months, I can't take DD out on fun activities as I'm incapable of joining in, I feel like a zombie, doctors want to wait and see if osteo will improve it, osteo wants to take it slow as there's 31 years of damage to repair, reading up online about other adults living with this is so depressing.

I just want to be able to walk again, live without pain, not rely on so many drugs, and for DD, DP and I to take our gorgeous dogs for a walk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow you poor thing, I was born with hip displaysia and was lucky my parents were persistent with the doctors and knew the click hips I had was not normal. When I was about 4 months I was placed in plaster for a few months. I would hate to kowtow pain without the treatment i received, my hips are an ongoing problem even now. I wish I could offer some advice, it git be getting near to hip replacement time though if your incapacitated. I would be talking with my dr, hips can take a long time to get if you don't have the private insurance so the sooner you act the better. All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Arli, my cousins little boy was also born with it and placed in the brace.

From my research it looks like osteoarthritis and hip replacement is definitely in the future, I'm 31, I shouldn't be even have to think about it yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes! I have bi lateral hip displaysia. One hip has been "corrected" the other is milder so I'm hoping it won't need surgery until I'm old and grey.

I'm happy for you to hit me with what ever questions you've got, I mightn't have an answer but it's worth a shot
    I had clicky hips as a baby, it was reviewed at 6 weeks and deemed ok and that I was developing well after being born breach. Throughout childhood I had severe growing pains and weird things happen but it wasn't til I saw a GP at 17 for sciatic nerve pain that an X-ray was done.

/hugs I know just how sh!t it can be.

Edited:

There are other surgeries available apart from full replacement, I was 21 when I had PAO peri acetubular osteotomy. Essentially break the cup, cut a piece from the bottom of the pelvis and screw it all back together. They also had to repair and screw the muscles and cartilage back into place. Now 3 years on I have to say the hardest part was before the op, the physio was intense and learning to walk again and use my body again was tough but I'm VERY glad I chose to do it.

It did take me 4 years to find someone who knew my chief surgeons work and luckily knew that leaving me in the hands I was in I was doomed to suffer.
    Last edited by Slyph; 26-08-2013 at 17:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls, my biggest problem at the moment is dealing with the constant pain. My left hip feels like it can't move at all and my right just feels like I've smashed it, and nothing seems to help it anymore.

I'm going back to my doctor hopefully tonight otherwise tomorrow for more pain killers and discuss further options. She has already discussed me going onto sickness payments while I get it repaired so I need to organise that too.

I also see my osteo again on Friday so hopefully he can provide some relief.

I've dealt with chronic pain for years in my shoulder, but that was nothing compared to what I'm going through now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hopefully your doctors give you answers and what you need to manage the pain.

It's a dark scary place, just be kind to yourself. Xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slyph For This Useful Post:

singlemumma82  (27-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been diagnosed with mild hip dysphasia as a teen and an adult. I was breech born which resulted in double dislocated hips. I was put in double nappies to bring my legs down and all seemed to be fine I guess until I was a teenager and started getting really bad hip pain and pains shooting down my legs. The pain comes and goes now. I can be absolutely fine for a few years and then all of a sudden two years ago it hurt even when I was lying down. It resolved itself after a few weeks and seems to have been fine since.

I know this isn't the end of it though. There is a family history of hip replacements on my dad's side of the family. With this as well, I don't think I'll get through life without a new hip or hips at some stage.

I can't really offer anything but would like to follow this thread.

Hugs and hope you get a resolution sooner rather than later.