+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    You sure can...my mother gets the flu shot every yr and I can garentee she gets sick after every one. She doesn't get the flu but she gets a really bad cold/chest infection.
    This isn't caused by the flu vaccine. Some info from the CDC-

What about people who get a seasonal flu vaccine and still get sick with flu-like symptoms?

There are several reasons why someone might get flu-like symptoms even after they have been vaccinated against the flu.
    People may be exposed to an influenza virus shortly before getting vaccinated or during the two-week period that it takes the body to gain protection after getting vaccinated. This exposure may result in a person becoming ill with flu before the vaccine begins to protect them.
    People may become ill from other (non-flu) viruses that circulate during the flu season, which can also cause flu-like symptoms (such as rhinovirus).
    A person may be exposed to an influenza virus that is not included in the seasonal flu vaccine. There are many different influenza viruses that circulate every year. The flu shot protects against the 3 viruses that research suggests will be most common.
    Unfortunately, some people can get infected with an influenza vaccine virus despite getting vaccinated. Protection provided by influenza vaccination can vary widely, based in part on health and age factors of the person getting vaccinated. In general, the flu vaccine works best among young healthy adults and older children. Some older people and people with certain chronic illnesses may develop less immunity after vaccination. However, even among people who tend to respond less well to vaccination, the flu vaccine can still help prevent influenza. Vaccination is particularly important for people at high risk of serious flu-related complications and for close contacts of high-risk people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    You can't catch pneumonia from the flu shot- the flu shot contains inactivated flu viruses, not pneumonia viruses and no live viruses anyway. Sounds like he's just been unlucky, poor guy.
    He has the flu shot which gives him the flu symptoms. His immune system is very low which means his body can't fight the symptoms and they consequently get worse leading to the pneumonia. As I said its an extreme case but that's what the doctors have said. I also can't go and visit him if me or my kids have any cold/flu symptoms for the same reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpmakes2 View Post
    He has the flu shot which gives him the flu symptoms. His immune system is very low which means his body can't fight the symptoms and they consequently get worse leading to the pneumonia. As I said its an extreme case but that's what the doctors have said. I also can't go and visit him if me or my kids have any cold/flu symptoms for the same reasons.
    If his immune system is very weak then the vaccine may not be as effective for him. It may have occurred around the time he had the shot in the past, and this is certainly unfortunate, but the flu shot doesn't cause these symptoms- it's explained in my post above where I quoted the CDC. Happy to provide further links if you want to read up on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    This isn't caused by the flu vaccine. Some info from the CDC-

What about people who get a seasonal flu vaccine and still get sick with flu-like symptoms?

There are several reasons why someone might get flu-like symptoms even after they have been vaccinated against the flu.
    People may be exposed to an influenza virus shortly before getting vaccinated or during the two-week period that it takes the body to gain protection after getting vaccinated. This exposure may result in a person becoming ill with flu before the vaccine begins to protect them.
    People may become ill from other (non-flu) viruses that circulate during the flu season, which can also cause flu-like symptoms (such as rhinovirus).
    A person may be exposed to an influenza virus that is not included in the seasonal flu vaccine. There are many different influenza viruses that circulate every year. The flu shot protects against the 3 viruses that research suggests will be most common.
    Unfortunately, some people can get infected with an influenza vaccine virus despite getting vaccinated. Protection provided by influenza vaccination can vary widely, based in part on health and age factors of the person getting vaccinated. In general, the flu vaccine works best among young healthy adults and older children. Some older people and people with certain chronic illnesses may develop less immunity after vaccination. However, even among people who tend to respond less well to vaccination, the flu vaccine can still help prevent influenza. Vaccination is particularly important for people at high risk of serious flu-related complications and for close contacts of high-risk people.
    This is the information I was given from a health question board... (cut and paste from elsewhere)
    Hi), Registered Nurse here; Sorry to hear your feeling bad. The answer is yes the flu shot can make one sick, and throwing up is certainly seen with the flu. The flue shot stimulates your bodies immune system to kick out antibiotics to increase the resistance of getting the flu. In some people when the immune system is given this boost there body goes into kick butt mode so to speak, and you feel tired, may run a low grade fever, have headache, and in some the pain of a headache will cause further nausea and vomiting. Pamper yourself,, get plenty of rest, maintain adequate fluid intake, such as: juices, apple, grape, Gatorade, power drinks, etc. Take ibuprofen, Tylenol, for aches, pains, and fever. You should be feeling better in couple of days. Thank you for the opportunity to address your question and hope your feeling better soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    This is the information I was given from a health question board... (cut and paste from elsewhere)
    Hi), Registered Nurse here; Sorry to hear your feeling bad. The answer is yes the flu shot can make one sick, and throwing up is certainly seen with the flu. The flue shot stimulates your bodies immune system to kick out antibiotics to increase the resistance of getting the flu. In some people when the immune system is given this boost there body goes into kick butt mode so to speak, and you feel tired, may run a low grade fever, have headache, and in some the pain of a headache will cause further nausea and vomiting. Pamper yourself,, get plenty of rest, maintain adequate fluid intake, such as: juices, apple, grape, Gatorade, power drinks, etc. Take ibuprofen, Tylenol, for aches, pains, and fever. You should be feeling better in couple of days. Thank you for the opportunity to address your question and hope your feeling better soon.
    Yes, these symptoms the RN lists are possible side effects-
    http://www.health.gov.au/internet/im...nfluenza-qanda

"What are the possible side effects from the flu shot?

Common side effects following seasonal flu vaccination include soreness, redness, pain and swelling at the injection site, fever, vomiting and malaise. These side effects are usually mild and resolve within a few days, usually quickly without any treatment. Generally, reactions may occur within a few hours following vaccination and may last 1 to 2 days.

Some side effects may mimic flu infection, but all flu vaccines do not contain live virus and so do not cause you to get influenza.

Side effects such as hives or anaphylaxis are rare. People with a history of an allergic reaction to egg protein may still receive flu vaccine after talking to your doctor."

Is still doesn't cause chest infections, pneumonia or the flu. It's an inactive vaccine. Sorry, I feel like I'm repeating myself, I just see so much misinformation floating around about vaccines and it all contributes (IMO) to more and more people distrusting or declining them, which is ultimately detrimental to all of us. A friends little lady was hospitalised recently with flu and she was so sick, on oxygen and all. People in Australia still die from the the flu, you know? Awful.