+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Telling family about BFP

Hi Guys!

We just got our first BFP yesterday! We are currently living away and would love to tell our families, just our parents and siblings, in person that we are pregnant, the next time we will see them we'll only be nearly 5 weeks. is this too early do you think? We plan to wait to tell friends etc.

How many weeks were you when you told your immediate family? Or when are you planning to tell?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congratulations
    I told my family straight away each time. It's good that they know if you end up needing support when going through a loss (I did).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations!! 😃

I waited until 10 weeks. Only because my parents had wanted this for me & DH for YEARS and I knew it was going to be a big moment. I waited because i wanted to protect them if anything happened - I couldn't have handled my parents disappointment on top of my own. Although i would have told them later if things didn't work out.

By 10 weeks we'd had a scan, seen the heart beat, had met some of the key development stages & were fairly confident all would be ok & it was, (although there was still a chance at that stage that things may have not worked out).

We told DH's parents sooner, but we're not close to them. And to be honest, they didn't really celebrate until after the 12 weeks.

We told brothers/sisters after 12 weeks.

We were both very cautious though and were really waiting for the 12 week mark. That's just us. But it is hard not to shout it from the roof tops!!

It's also VERY hard for other people to contain the news & we didn't want it leaked until we were ready so another reason why we kept it quiet.

Best of luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

clucky_duck  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I told my family straight away. Don't know about you but I'd want their support if something did go wrong.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

JesskaMay  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    For me, that would be way too early. There is a high miscarriage rate up to approx 8 weeks. I wouldn't want my parents sticking their nose in if I lost bub. I like my privacy, I wait until after the 12 week nuchal results are in before blabbing.

Each person is different though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

clucky_duck  (28-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel as though it is way too early. DH just asked me when we should tell as obviously we would prefer to tell them in person. My thoughts have always been to wait until at least 10-12 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I actually organised a lovely announcement for my parents, which took a few weeks to arrange so helped me to hold out. Maybe think of something nice to do if you can't tell them in person?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleMum View Post
    I actually organised a lovely announcement for my parents, which took a few weeks to arrange so helped me to hold out. Maybe think of something nice to do if you can't tell them in person?
    That is a lovely idea! We'll have to think of a special way to tell them! It will be first grandchild on both sides.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently battling with this dilemma atm. Im 6weeks with our first and first grandchild too. I'm paranoid about something going wrong (i've been reading too many stories) I'm a little anxious because my mum keeps telling me that I better not be planning on having kids anytime soon and shes said in the past that she doesn't want to know until 12weeks. I have my first OB appt in 2weeks and we have decided to go up and visit them after that. I just want to be sure everything is ok ill be 7 1/2 weeks then.
    I have friends who told their parents as soon as they peed on the stick! lol
    Really I think its up to you guys and your relationship with your parents plus how well you trust them to keep their mouths shut!!
    Some people use the logic of they want to have someone to grieve with them if heaven forbid anything goes wrong. Where other people don't want their parents to get too attached to the baby and be even more devastated then they would if they didn't know.
    It's a tough one but ultimately a personal choice good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We told immediate family (parents/siblings) the day after our BFP. Everyone else was 12 weeks.