+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thanks also for the advice on insurance. Sounds like it would be worth it for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you do go down the utterly expensive road of horse ownership you need to buy a suitable horse. The good ones that are suitable for children to learn on are usually a few thousand. Cheap horses are usually cheap for a reason. A young girl at my agistment bought a cheap horse ($1000 approx) and it was too much for her to handle and bucked her off and left her with a broken arm. The girl who is borrowing my horse after I recently had a baby originally bought a horse that was totally inappropriate for her ability and she fell off many a time before she sent it back to the original owners. I suspected it was drugged when she went to test ride it. She had to threaten legal action as they lied about numerous things to do with the horse. Would you be able to identify a horse that was drugged? A vet check is an extremely good idea to prevent buying a horse which could potentially cost you thousands of dollars in vet bills. A vet check would cost in the region of around $200. If I have to call the vet out for something I am lucky to walk away with a bill less than $300. The call out fee alone is $100. Save your money, keep the kids having lessons to make sure they are really interested before pouring your money into a giant money pit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree with what has been said by PP's. You need to prepare for best and worst case scenarios. Make sure you get the opinion of a highly experienced rider when buying and always, always, ALWAYS have a trial period!! If an owner refuses a trial period there is a huge chance they are hiding something. Horse problems australia is a fantastic website with heaps of advice and what to look for if you suspect a horse has been drugged etc.

Dont forget to think about buying a float and having a towing car. Not only for transporting horses but feed as well

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The biggest mistake I see ppl make when they buy a horse is the horse they choose. I see so many beginners buy a horse that's only suitable for experienced riders and then it all goes terribly wrong from there. It's great that you are in with the riding school and have the agistment. Does the riding school lease horses? This is a great way to gain experience of horse ownership without actually buying the horse so you can trail the whole experience and make sure you are ready for your own. I absolutely love horses, they are such beautiful animals.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

jess1992  (26-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh! Dont buy the first horse you see! Make sure you look at quite a few before making your choice(s)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app