+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Thanks for all the info! That's great!

Miss kitty it's what we would love to do. Dh has spoken about doing this for a long long time. I guess we are all different hey. I guess people can do it because alot do. Nearly everyone we know owns a horse. Once we ate back in a great financial position again with savings we will do it. Thanks for the input.
    They are a massive commitment, but such a rewarding one. I haven't ridden for years. Mum have me a horse for xmas but we were fattening her before riding then I fell pregnant. So she is just a pet now. Funny story, everytime im given a horse I fall pregnant. Three times its happened now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yeah misskitty. We don't have any pets whatsoever so this would be it.

Yes, I had fun buying my children's horse riding clothes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Bumping for the Sunday morning crew.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My horses kept me broke , farrier ,worming, hay and other supplements , saddles and tack , hoof injury ( which required vet and farrier treatment). Had to install water troughs in the paddocks and hire a horse float. I was working all the time just to afford them which left little time to enjoy riding. To buy one of the ponies like what my kids ride on at riding school would be around $3000.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely factor in vet bills - its good to have a bit of a slush fund for the unexpected...colic etc.

A lot of horse gear can be bought secondhand - saddles, bridles, rugs, grooming gear etc - just look for gear that has been well looked after and it should last you ages. I still have gear that came with my first horse 20 years ago..

Maybe also factor in costs for occasional lessons or pony club for your kids.

I loved the years I got to spend living on the same property as my horses - it certainly kept me out of trouble and it became a whole family activity.

Good luck with it all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. The kids already have lessons at $15 which is cheap as, this is where we would agist them also.

I know I'd go crazy buying all the gear, in like Shoppinh.

The vet bills are a bit scary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never owned a horse nor have any intention to. But on the vet bill side maybe look into insurance. I haven't had any experience with horse insurance but as a vet nurse in small animal practice a lot of dog & cat owners have insurance and don't blink at the expensive (& also required vet bills). Look into different companies offering and coverage Vs their premium & excess and may make that side a bit more affordable. Those above have mentioned the most common health issues I've heard of ie colic, general injuries etc...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tropical Bub For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What kind of riding do you want to your kids to do? Pony club, shows, competitions, just trail rides etc? All have associated fees.

remember with second hand saddles - you may need it fitted to the horse. You can't just buy a saddle and use it straight away.

A 14hh horse is called a Galloway.

Kids will need a lot of lessons if they have never ridden before, to get the hang of riding, learning to rise to the trot and also gain confidence.

Horses need their feet trimmed regularly, need regular worming, and need their teeth done every year. They need their manes pulled, need to be groomed regularly and if rugged you need to check/change rugs daily. They also often need extra feed like hay and hard feed, depending if they are a good doer or not.

Good luck, it's a huge commitment but very fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feed - depends on pasture quality & quantity you will most likely have to feed hard feed & extra hay during winter and through out the year is pasture isn’t very good quality and it also depends on how much work your horse is in, if the horse is in regular medium work then they will need extra feed.

Worming - approx $15 - every 6 weeks
    Farrier - (trim approx $40-$50 per horse, shoeing approx $110-$120, shoeing front hooves only approx $70-$80) - every 6 weeks
    Teeth – approx $110 per horse - at least once every 12 months
    Tetanus & strangles yearly vaccine – approx $34.00 per horse (if horse is already up to date with it’s yearly vaccinations)
    Hendra vaccination (depending what state and area you live in and whether it is a high risk area) approx $350-$400.00 per horse (this includes the initial first 2 doses and 6 monthly booster & then at this stage it’s an ongoing 6 monthly booster approx $110.00 per horse)

Keep in mind you will need to have money available to pay for any unexpected veterinary bills, which can be expensive. Most vets don’t offer credit these days, so you might be best looking into horse insurance that includes cover for unexpected vet bills.
    Horses are very expensive, buying the horse is the cheapest part, you will always have ongoing expenses with them, e.g. all of the above, plus saddlery, rugs, lessons, competition/pony club or riding club entry fees etc.
    While horses are very expensive they are also a very enjoyable hobby. Good luck with your search for the right horse (make sure you get horses that are suited to the rider's ability and nothing too young, inexperienced or dangerous, it is very helpful to take a experienced horsey person with you when looking at horses to purchase for a 2nd opinion).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks yeah 3 of them do lessons. My six year old picked up the rising trot I her second lesson and is going really well. Hubby wants to have lessons, I had alot when I was younger and did heaps if trail rides, it was fun.

Thanks all, I'm excited.