+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baby still hungry - karicare de-lact

So my bubba of 2.5 weeks has been put on lactose free formula as per her paediatrician due to colic/reflux issues.

Truthfully I haven't noticed much of a difference and she seems to be a bit constipated passing these pellet poohs the size of rabbit pooh (sorry tmi)

Although the last two days I have noticed she has been increasingly been distressed about 1 - 1.5 hours after the feed and is thrashing her head around and sucking on her fingers and seems to still be very hungry.

The mcn told me to use comfort techniques until at least 3 hours as tired babies tend to want to comfort suck but that at least an hour and a half of a crying baby and the middle of the night we are just exhausted. Plus all the crying effects her colic.

Has anyone used this formula? Is it possible it us not filling her up? Should I just give her another feed when she wants it or do I hold her out?

Any other suggestions I haven't thought of???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I should have mentioned since last night she has been quite spewy. Could that be why she's still hungry?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    she could possibly have reflux/silent reflux.. If you add the karicare thickener it will make it a bit thicker... honestly, I would never leave a baby that long to be hungry. always go with your mummy instincts.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah we are pretty sure she has silent reflux - the spewing is new though. She's just started it. Is it a good thing it's coming out? Like will she be more comfortable or is it a bad thing? It doesn't seem to bother her.

I don't like trying to hold her out but the nurse said if I over fill her she will get pains and make it worse. In so confused as to what's right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping for the night crowd!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go with your mummy instinct on this one. At this age in demand fed, even if it was only comfort feeding. My son also suffered from reflux and we found that karicare goat really helped and never blocked him up like other formulas did.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lachsmummy For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does karicare goat have lactose?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Did the mchn suggest the change of formula or did you get into a pediatrician??
    I only ask because bub is very young and lactose intolerance would be rare. .. And can be mixed up with cmpi or even reflux without the other things.
    Bub is still pooping pellets?? I would be getting to the gp/paed for some better advice. Did bub pass the meconium after birth normally?
    Formula can take at least 2 weeks to settle down in bubs system so I'm not sure changing it or anything would be wise since bub is only 2 weeks??
    What formula were you doing to start with?? Too much changing all the time will make it worse.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The paediatrician suggested to go on to formula. I was breast feeding at the time.

I will try to get an appointment tomorrow for the constipation.

In just worried she is still hungry after the feed.
    Last edited by Meld85; 25-08-2013 at 20:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very very unusual for a child to be lactose intolerant to breast milk in the first few weeks of life. One of mine is and it took 5 Paeds and an ICU admission to get her diagnosed as lactose intolerant as we kept getting told that for a newborn to be intolerant is so so rare. There are many reasons for a 2-3 week old to be unsettled and colicky.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (25-08-2013)