+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone taken on a midwife student?

I got in the post yesterday a letter from the hospital I'm booked into, asking if I wanted to take on a midwife student from UTS.
    I'm a nurse myself so I know how invaluable experience is and I've always preceptored/educated students at the hospital I work at, so I was leaning towards sharing my personal pregnancy experience with one but was wondering if any hubbers had done this already and what their experiences were like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did for my entire pregnancy and delivery. Was the best thing I ever did. I had a real great connection with my student midwife which I felt really helped.
    She attended most appointments with me and was able to explain some of the terminology the drs were using.
    As long as you like the midwife you end up with I say go for it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lisaandshaun For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did with DD1 and it was a great experience. She was there for all of my ante natal appointments and for the delivery of my DD. She was quite lovely and it was nice having a familiar face during DD1's birth.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amazonbaby For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's my worry, if we don't click. You an opt out if you want but I'd hate to leave them in the lurch.
    I'm a nurse so I know what's going in regards to appointments etc but I thought it might be quite a unique experience to have.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I had a student MW with me when I had DD. I wanted to do something to support midwifery led care so I thought this would be a good thing to do. She was really nice and supportive. We had a long chat one afternoon about what was important to me during labour and how much I really wanted an intervention free birth. I also wanted someone else with me in case DF had to look after DS whilst I was in labour.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was wondering this myself. There has been a student midwife with me in 3 appts so far and she asked every time if we'd like her to go in with us. I know it's my decision but I'm not entirely sure what I want. It's only my first bub, and she has had 5! I just don't know!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TSW13 For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was supposed to have one but after our first appointment she just didn't turn up anymore. As it turned out I had a different one there when I was in labour and she delivered my baby - but she was for the majority of the time there by herself and I didn't get monitored at all even though I was supposed to have constant monitoring.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a student midwife that will hopefully join me on all my appointments and I think the Midwifery group that I am with usually have a student tagging along with the midwife as well. I haven't had my first ante natal appointment yet though, that's still a couple of weeks away

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Keerah For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a student mw. She was fantastic. I had a different one for the first 20w or so but she deferred her study so she put me onto another. We clicked straight away and she had followed three twin pregnancies prior to mine although I was her first natural twin birth. She even got to deliver both our girls I would highly recommend it especially if you are going public. Its great having someone there who knows exactly how you feel about things and can stand up for you if need be!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jess1992 For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I had known about this with my first 2! I am 32 weeks and have had a student follow me with their continuity care program- they follow pre and post appointments and the birth if you like. The student I had is deferring so I have another coming to my next appointment. There are quite often students looking on here so you can be a bit choosy instead of going through the uni, I mean to find someone you 'click' with.

I am a student RN and hope to go into mid next. It is hard to get the experience and I think it is nice having a student when you are a student or a nurse etc so you can talk about things together- medically- IYKWIM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to patsmum For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (25-08-2013)