+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Antidepressants are relatively safe and good for short or long term treatment of your mood. it takes a few weeks to notice changes. You can drive, work, just carry on with your life really. Anxiety meds are addictive and you should only take them for a very short period of time or on occasion (é.g. Before flying if you are scared of planes). You can feel anxiety meds working straight away. They can make you drowsy or sleepy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take Zoloft in the morning and Avanza at night and it has been the most liberating thing to be free from the rollercoaster of anxiety and stress I had lived with my whole life. My mental illness is something evident in every woman on my maternal side and there's nothing that "happened" that triggered it so medication is a good option to manage that.

Daily exercise, yoga/meditation, journaling, clean eating and a good level of introspection and education on my mental illness certainly helps too. So does a sense of humour and being able to talk about it with my likewise crazy mum and sister

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

javic  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by quietlyhopeful View Post
    Anti-depressants are great (in my opinion) for brain chemistry problems. Depression can be caused by hormonal imbalance and the medication can work to rectify this.
    Can you get your hormone levels tested? I've been wondering about this a lot lately.

OP, I don't have any advice but I relate to your post. You're not alone.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes you can. Just ask hour gp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ella jonathan View Post
    i really advice you to get some medical help, depression will effect you children for sure. you must take your role as a responsible mother even if it was hard for you
    your children need you. and at the end, there is really nothing worth to be sad at.
    cheer up
    "In the end there is nothing to be sad at"
    I'm sorry, I don't usually say anything on these forums but you have no idea what any of these girls have gone through. There is much to be sad at by many people. Please don't diminish their feelings.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to october For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (24-08-2013),HearMeRoar  (25-08-2013),Mahjong  (25-08-2013),SeymourTheBear  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by october View Post
    "In the end there is nothing to be sad at"
    I'm sorry, I don't usually say anything on these forums but you have no idea what any of these girls have gone through. There is much to be sad at by many people. Please don't diminish their feelings.
    I agree with this. As a person who has battled depression and more recently anxiety I must say that it is not an easy condition to overcome.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (24-08-2013),HearMeRoar  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    i really advice you to get some medical help, depression will effect you children for sure. you must take your role as a responsible mother even if it was hard for you
    your children need you. and at the end, there is really nothing worth to be sad at.
    cheer up
    As someone suffering severe depression and other issues, I am telling uou it really isn't helpful to hear that you're affecting your children. I can't speak for anyone else but I worry Eveyday about affecting my children. I still do everythjbg for them and they are well cared for and don't want for anything except a sane mother. But they love me and I've explained what's gojng on (I'm sitting in a hospital bed right now because of my depression).. They are going through this with me every step of the way and they are going to see me beat this!

Just cheer up? There's nothing to be sad about? I have the best life, 5 easy kids, an amazing husband, fantastic job which I love, usually enough money, I'm slim and always look nice but I'm so so sad. I woke up crying today because the sadness was swallowing me up. This is the hardest thjng I have ever had to do and I'm drowning but I am going to get better and they will see my be victorious.

Have you ever suffered a mental illness?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Mahjong  (25-08-2013),sunnyflower  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If suggest you learn about depression and mental illness. You must take the role of the responsible adult? Who says that? It's an illness. I take responsibility for my children but I'm terribly sick right now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Mahjong  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    Can you get your hormone levels tested? I've been wondering about this a lot lately.

OP, I don't have any advice but I relate to your post. You're not alone.
    You have lots and lots of hormones in your body. The one that relates to depression is serotonin. It's not so important how much of it you have but how your brain uses it. There is no blood test that will diagnose depression.

Your gp can test for things like your thyroid levels, which can mimic depression, and this may be the type of test that op's have experienced, but as I already mentioned, there is no test for serotonin.

HTH

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jl81 For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (25-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    cheer up
    Are you freaking serious???? 😯😯😯

Its a chemical imbalance in the brain, research before making sweeping and dangerous statements like this!

OP, I hope youre doing Ok. It took a few goes of different AD's for me to get my levels and anxiety in check. I hope you get it right first go and can beginning to feel like you again 😊