+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds - what's it like?

I've always been a bit of an unhappy person. And suffered from anxiety. I'm a worrier I think. And, now I have kids, I feel like it affects them and want it to stop. I've never been on medication before for mental issues, and I am quite reluctant - a bit scared actually. But I'd love to end the social anxiety and general unhappiness I have. I have all these paranoid thoughts about people at ds's kinder. That no one likes me and that everyone else must be having play dates all the time and excluding us. I feel awkward talking to anyone and I must come across weird. And then I feel depressed after dropping my son off. Could meds help me feel normal and happy and confident and like I fit in? A

Anyone here who had taken them, would you recommend them? What was the good and bad things about them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there, my dh suffers from anxiety and reading your post is like talking to him. His brain makes up situations that don't exist. He struggles to see reality when he imagines we are fighting with someone, or someone is upset with us etc etc. lately it's been interfering with his work because he focuses on the made up stuff so much that he can't concentrate. He has been on citlopram but felt it didn't make much difference. He went off it when we were ttc #2 because we think it was affecting his fertility. I am now pregnant and recently he decided to go back on the tablets. But he still struggled to decifer reality from fiction. He is now seeing a psychologist. I am so happy he finally took this step. The psych told him to visit his gp and ask for a mental health plan which will give him 10 bulk billed sessions a year. He is onto his second session and I have already noticed a difference because the psych showed him strategies for dealing with it. He is still on the meds.

So my advice is to ask your dr for the mental health plan in conjunction with tablets if you want to try them. Some GPs just find writing a script easier and don't tell you about the sessions you can get.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good: they can help so much!
    Bad: some have side effects while you're taking them, side effects when you wean off.

Anti-depressants are great (in my opinion) for brain chemistry problems. Depression can be caused by hormonal imbalance and the medication can work to rectify this. If you are depressed over a particular thing/specific life event they'd definitely need to be used in conjunction with some sort of counselling. They take a few weeks to start working.

Anti-anxiety tablets work very quickly when you need them. They sort of just mask the problem, so it's worth seeking help to resolve the issues that are causing you anxiety.

It's good to remember that, with help, you can beat this and feel well and happy again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Don't ask for recommendations here - they all react differently for different people. The best person to decide which one to first try you on is your doctor.

As for how they are... when you're on one that works for you, after the initial "getting used to them," part (which for me, meant being extremely sleepy for 2 weeks) they're just like you're a normal person. Like you are... just without the panic attacks and stuff. Like a better version, a happier more relaxed version, of you.

Coming off them is hard though, and you need to do it super-slowly. I was on mine for a few years, and have been off them for a bit over 1 year.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

SeymourTheBear  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Don't ask for recommendations here - they all react differently for different people. The best person to decide which one to first try you on is your doctor.

As for how they are... when you're on one that works for you, after the initial "getting used to them," part (which for me, meant being extremely sleepy for 2 weeks) they're just like you're a normal person. Like you are... just without the panic attacks and stuff. Like a better version, a happier more relaxed version, of you.

Coming off them is hard though, and you need to do it super-slowly. I was on mine for a few years, and have been off them for a bit over 1 year.
    If you were happier and more relaxed on them, then how do you feel now you are off them?

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They worked wonders for me.

Initially my dosage was too low, and for two weeks nothing changed, so the doc doubled the dosage and wow it was quite amazing I got my sense of humour back, I was actually looking foward to things rather than waking up feeling a sense of dread, and wanting to just cry.

At least give them a go, you can always go off them if you really don't like them.

Also realise that different meds suit different people. A certain type may just not work well for you, and in that case, you can go back and try a different one, I think my Mum needed to try 3 different ones until she found the right one.

I do recommend giving them a go.

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Fine, because I've had big life changes, and that's kind of eased the anxiety and depression anyway.

I tried going off them earlier, but I wasn't ready.

Some people will need their meds forever, others will be able to work on their issues and make changes to try and "overcome," it but it's a lot easier to do that if you're on meds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I have been on anti depressants for many years and I will be on them for the rest of my life. They will certainly help with your general unhappiness but they are not a “quick fix”. You still need to deal with issues in your life they just make coping a little easier. Depression is a disease and like with any disease it needs treating. Please go see your GP. You will feel so much better just talking about it with a professional. Best of luck! xoxo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kim4Kids For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pristiq was helping me for awhile, the best part about it is it is one that doesn't cause weight gain which was a major stipulation for me.

Anti anxiety meds like Valium etc are bad news, the withdrawals are like hell
    Even after short term use.

I took aropax (ad) when I was 17 or 18 and it caused weight gain so I stopped it.

They are all different for everyone and there's usually a bit of trial and error.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and if you read my thread, they definitely aren't always a fix all. Worth a go though if you think they might help.