+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sensitive children

Does anyone else have one of these? My DD who has just turned 5 is a sensitive little soul, and I am feeling a bit lost in parenting her.

She is just beautiful. She has so much empathy for others and is so kind and generous.

On the other hand she is a huge day dreamer. This morning she broke a vase in a shop (which of course greatly upset her) because she leaned on it as she reached over to 'rub noses' with a ceramic bird. It's funny now, but I'm finding it hard to be patient with her especially as she is getting older.

I feel like I'm getting it all wrong with her. I worry that I am too hard on her as she is so soft. Just now I lost patience with her because she swung off the door handle and fell hitting her head. Obviously I feel bad, especially because she was hurt, but I need her to pay a bit more attention to what she's doing! Arghhhh.

I have no idea where I'm going with this.

HELP!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (23-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, DS7 is a sensitive soul as well, though like you - I am lost when it comes to parenting him..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (23-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply beebs. Nice to know I'm not the only one in this boat. Sorry you are feeling a bit lost too xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No real advice but I get where you're going with this. DS (almost 3) is a sensitive little guy and there are times when I feel like yelling at him to 'toughen up!' If another kid snatches a toy off him or accidentally knocks him he'll really take it to heart too, often cries or says 'Ow, he hurt me!!!' (when I know it was just a nudge). If he knocks something and breaks it he'll go 'Ohhh nooo, I didn't mean to!' and I end up spending ages reassuring him it's okay and accidents happen!

I kind of feel it's important for a child to learn to be resilient but not sure how to go about teaching them (or indeed whether it is something that can even be taught...)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also wondering if it can even be taught. I *think* it can, but I wonder if it's something that has to be learnt at your own pace, so to speak.

DD is funny in a way, because she is also really emotionally mature in some ways. She is very giving to her friends, and seems to have a good understanding of their limitations. It's mainly at home where she is quick to tears etc... when she is at Kinder or friends houses, she is quite 'together' for want of a better word.

Thanks for your reply bitterpure, I wasn't sure if anyone was going to have any idea what I was on about.

Just feeling a bit down about it all tonight I guess.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    hugs* your dd sounds like a sweet heart. i dont have a lot of advice im afraid.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as I also have a child who is a sensitive soul. DD is 3 and is so beautifully kind and empathic, but also super sensitive and takes everything to heart. I am hoping others have some good ideas with regards to parenting strategies!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DS (7) is a very sensitive, intuitive, sweet little boy. I was an extremely sensitive child and am a sensitive adult. He is almost a carbon copy of me as a kid.

It's so hard not to get frustrated when he seemingly overreacts to something and his feelings get very hurt. We try to parent with love - we discuss the emotions he's feeling, talk about ways to deal with the emotions and make sure he knows we understand. As a child I felt misunderstood as on many occasions I was told to 'get over it' (not necessarily in those words) but I felt like my heart was breaking and I couldn't seem to get that across to people. When I feel impatient with DS I try to remember that it's a big deal to him and to remain calm and talk him through it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (24-08-2013)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OLB I have exactly the same problem with dd1! I struggle with it as well but I have found a great book, recommended by a friend, called "the highly sensitive child". If you google it, you will find a questionnaire online from the book. If you answer yes to a lot of those questions, its well worth buying the book. Its given me a different way of looking at how dd1 approaches the world, for example now when we walk into a room and she hangs back, instead of saying she's shy, I can now appreciate that she is just taking it all in, noises, smells, movement, watching the people. Its been very helpful to us, I highly recommend it!
    Last edited by Gothel; 23-08-2013 at 21:07.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (24-08-2013),kbf2plus2  (23-08-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (24-08-2013)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Teenie that's one of the things this book talks about, how things are a big deal to them. The author says when your sensitive child says that (eg) the scratch REALLY hurts, you must believe them. It really goes against my instinct sometimes, its a tiny scratch and she's screaming because she doesn't want to get into the bath in case it stings. its so frustrating sometimes! Btw there is also a book about highly sensitive adults by the same author

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (24-08-2013)