+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default MCN's - Where on earth to start?!?!?

Hey ladies,

I have just started researching MCN's as this is what I plan to use for our bubba and I have SO many questions. I was hoping some of you knowledgeable ladies can help me out!

1. How many do I buy BEFORE bubs is here? Do I just buy newborn sizes and then buy more later as bub grows? Do I buy a variety of different brands to figure out which ones I like best?

2. What is better? All in ones, nappies with inserts?

3. Brands? Can anyone point me in the right direction for good quality brands? There seems to be SO many!!!

4. What else do I need to get started? Nappies, inserts, wipes? What other bits and pieces do I need?

Really hoping you all can offer me some advice because there is just SO much information and so many varying opinions I feel a little lost!

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I would love to know too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Check out YouTube, they have some great videos that demonstrate the different types, how they're used and washed and everything (I lived on YouTube before my Bub was born, watching all the great nappy videos, also try searching modern cloth diapers ).
    Personally I got a whole bunch of adjustable pocket mcns, 20 in newborn, 40 in regular and had them prepped before Bub was born. A lot if people recommend sampling a few ranges before buying a whole stash though (we went for the cheap ones so we skipped that step).
    Good luck with it all

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing! Great post!

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. About 30 nappies in sizes that you can use should be good to start off with. So if you have say 10 newborn, have 20 or so OSFMs. Definitely buy some different brands to try out. What I give rave reviews to, someone else might hate and vice versa.

2. Depends! Both have pros and cons. AIO- don't have to put back together (good for hubby) but take longer to dry usually. I prefer snap-ins or pocket nappies for this reason, as I live in a cold wet part of the country, but lots of other people love AIO's.

3. Itti bitti is a good brand, and very easy to resell if you don't like them. My latest new favourite is Bonnibuns. Other good brands- Baby Beehinds, Bumgenius, cushie tushies, and I've heard good things about Ones & Twos.

4. You also need wet bags- to put wet nappies in if you're out and about. can get them on ebay for about $5-6 each. It's your choice whether to use cloth wipes, not everyone who uses cloth nappies does. I just use normal disposable baby wipes still. Also a cloth-nappy - friendly something for bub's bottom- cornflour or coconut oil are what I use (you can't use normal bum creams) And a nappy bucket with lid to keep the dirty nappies in. That's about it.

If you're on FB, there's a group called 'Buy and sell your MCN's' it's got a big 'I <3 MCN's' as the cover photo- that's a really good group for picking up some cheap secondhand (but still good quality) MCN's. it's good as you can test out a few different brands cheaply before deciding which one you want to get more of.

Just ask if you have any more questions, happy to answer if I can!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a great thread on here about them with loads of info. Sorry, on my phone so can't link it.

I've only bought 3 thinking I would try those out & then decide. But after reading the info above, I think that's an epic fail! Off to the shops for me...

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. How many do I buy BEFORE bubs is here?
    If you want to use nappies 24/7 then yes, 30 is a good number. We used 12-15 per day, so one set to wash and one set to wear, if that makes sense.

Do I just buy newborn sizes and then buy more later as bub grows?
    YES if you're buying sized, but try get a few of the ones that can be adjusted, like the Grovia - my favourite.

Do I buy a variety of different brands to figure out which ones I like best?
    That's what I did. It's a bit pricey and can be addictive. There are SO many. I tried a few of the pocket ones, some prefolds & covers, and then settled with plain old terry towel nappies.

2. What is better? All in ones, nappies with inserts?

I never tried AIOs because we don't have a drier and they would take ages to dry on the line. So my vote goes to the nappies that come in two pieces or plain old FLAT nappies (terry towels) that you have to fold before using.

3. Brands? Can anyone point me in the right direction for good quality brands? There seems to be SO many!!!
    Grovia is my favourite. We also tried Real Nappies; these were good value for money and they sell a trial pack - get that *before*you dive in the deep end and get a birth to potty pack!
    4. What else do I need to get started? Nappies, inserts, wipes? What other bits and pieces do I need?
    Snappies are good if you're using prefolds. Wet bag for chucking dirty nappies in - then you just chuck the whole lot into the machine - easy. Cloth wipes are much easier to use than disposable if you are using cloth nappies. We just use a cut up old flannel blanket and water for wipes.

And my last piece of advice... don't be too hard on yourself if you have to use a disposable nappy now and then.