+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is different in this situation as you didn't grow up with your sister and you don't really know sisters bf as they didn't have much to do with your DS the whole time since his birth. Go with your gut instinct. Maybe just try and make a joke about it? It would also be different if your sister and bf had kids of their own but for him to want to take him out alone and then be rude when you say no is a bit weird. Probably perfectly innocent but who knows. I would feel weird asking if it was my in laws kids but I was asked to babysit while DH took his sister Xmas shopping (she is a single mum) after not really knowing the kids that long (they visited from UK).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh, sorry OP I forgot you didn't grow up with your sister etc! Follow instinct every time!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (23-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read other posts, so sorry if on doubling up. I would NEVER let a man take my child like that on their own. I could never trust someone like that 100%. To be honest the whole thing sounds suspicious to me anyway.

I should clarify that I don't leave my children with anyone other than grandmas and my sisters.

I think you have done the right thing and I really wouldn't care about hurting someone's feelings when the alternative could be that your child is the one getting hurt.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (23-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Well the text said "right, well talk about being a wet blanket"
    Maybe HE just really wanted to go to the circus - and thought taking a child would be better than going alone? and you crushed is childhood dreams with the reality that circuses can be cruel towards animals?

just another perspective.

I'm really thrown by the amount of *alarm bells* going off from other people- have I read it wrong?, has there been more than two occasions that he has offered to take your son somewhere?

(going back to read now)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (23-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    and this time he wanted to take DSto the circus.

I said that was a lovely offer but I am morally and ethically against circuses*, and sorry to be a wet blanket but it's important to me, but thank you anyway.

He got pi**ed with me and sent me a rude text message reply.
    Well the text said "right, well talk about being a wet blanket"

I found this rude and disrespectful.
    can I just clarify - did you first suggest you were being a 'wet blanket'..and then get p!ssed off when he used your own words as a reply to you?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-08-2013),FrothyFrog  (23-08-2013),Gothel  (23-08-2013),Mysurprisebaby  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I honestly don't see what the big deal is. He's not new on the scene and he probably just made a joke in poor taste. If you are not comfortable that's your call but I don't think that the text is a big deal

Thanks
    Reviews
    I seem to be going against the grain here and I could be reading it wrong but I read that as you said sorry to be a wet blanket in your initial text and then he referred back to that - its sometimes hard in a text to get humor etc. so not sure if he was actually being rude there or not?

As far as the taking on his own, well trust your instincts on that and if you don't want ds to go with him(or anyone else) alone then it's fine to say no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is sad that so many of us are having alarm bells.

But really, unless youve lived with someone, you dont really know them.
    Actually, even if you've lived with someone they can still surprise you.

And I'm not saying everyone out there is a monster.

I don't care who it is; if the offer is open for your kids, it's open to you too.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bohogirls For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (23-08-2013),Jennybaby  (23-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry OP, alarm bells are ringing loud and clear for me too, and unfortunately it reminds me of something that happened to a friends son, with a family friend who was also a school teacher.
    I won't go into details.

Anyway I wouldn't let my child spend time alone with an adult male that wasn't directly related no matter how nice. I would rather offend everybody.

They never look like child molesters unfortunately.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (23-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the thing to remember is that the OP is not comfortable & she knows the person better than anyone here. She also said she doesn't know him & even her sister that well because she didn't grow up with her.